Bermuda cruise

stpointer

You are not exactly 5 days

I cannot recall if the GDR was open on the full days in port 

we were ashore  the first  full day  & ate in town

Maybe those recent cruisers will comment further on the GDR

The Specialties were business as usual  along with the Waves & the Terrace

1 hour ago, ChappChapp said:

Just off this cruise and all the restaurants operated as usual. Love going into the GDR for breakfast.

What about for lunch, was the GDR open every day? 

We were on 8/18 to 8/25 . The GDR was definitely open for lunch both at sea and docked. We do like like the feeding frenzy of Terrace and prefer the quiet and service of the GDR. Ate their most of the time except for specialties and a few times in Terrace.

I was on last week and did not notice if the GDR was open since we ate lunch in Bermuda the fully docked day in both St. George’s and Hamilton. Would  have been a waste of port time for us those two days to return to the ship for lunch.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 4:18 PM, Charles4515 said:

I was on last week and did not notice if the GDR was open since we ate lunch in Bermuda the fully docked day in both St. George’s and Hamilton. Would  have been a waste of port time for us those two days to return to the ship for lunch.  

I love Flanagan's Pub in Hamilton. 

4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I love Flanagan's Pub in Hamilton. 

Last week went to Flanagan’s after coming back from Horseshoe in late afternoon and had a draft beer on Thursday. On Friday had a Dark and Stormy there before our departure early Friday afternoon. We really like the staff there. 

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Last week went to Flanagan’s after coming back from Horseshoe in late afternoon and had a draft beer on Thursday. On Friday had a Dark and Stormy there before our departure early Friday afternoon. We really like the staff there. 

Was just there August 8...fantastic lunch.

20190808_143211.jpg

20190808_142007.jpg

20190808_141945.jpg

Went this past August to Bermuda on Insignia.  Look for the flying fish while you are close to Bermuda.

While I liked the GDR we personally did more meals in the buffet.  Nice selection (one of the best buffets afloat) and the GDR was really, really slow.

While in Bermuda we never did lunch on the ship except for the day we arrived in St. George's.  We arrived around lunch time.

FYI, while we really enjoyed the trip a couple of things you should be aware of:

- Really hot and humid in Bermuda in July/August.

- While I though the food was very good on Insignia, like most cruise lines, over salts the food.

5 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

- While I though the food was very good on Insignia, like most cruise lines, over salts the food.

I think  that  depends on who is in the kitchen  not the cruise line itself

The  past few cruises  I have not had the issue  of swelling up like I have done in the past on Oceania

JMO

I have high B/P and have always taken it easy with salt, even before my diagnosis.  My mother always objected to people salting their food before tasting it and I learned from her!  (I never learned all that much from Mom but THIS I did learn.)  If a recipe calls for salt I will use some but usually less than the recipe calls for.  If necessary you can salt the food if you want when it is served.

That being said, I've never found the food on O to be oversalted ... or on any other line we have been on.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention but it has never been a problem for us.

Mura

Not every dish was over salted.  However it happened enough times that I noticed.  The only time it really annoyed me was when they served DOVER SOLE A LA MEUNIERE.  I happen to love that dish, and they did a nice presentation of deboning it at the table, however it was overwhelmed by salt.  Other times I would just try something else.

I am wondering if anybody noticed the GDR on Insignia being extra noisy.  It might have just been an off night where the large table next to us was extra loud or I was wondering if they put too many hard surfaces in the room so that it reflects too much sound.  

3 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Not every dish was over salted.  However it happened enough times that I noticed.  The only time it really annoyed me was when they served DOVER SOLE A LA MEUNIERE.  I happen to love that dish, and they did a nice presentation of deboning it at the table, however it was overwhelmed by salt.  Other times I would just try something else.

😘

Next time  just tell the waiter  NO extra salt  or NO SALT  .. I thought hey had cut  back on oversalting 

I used to get the special diet  ..with menus delivered the day before to choose dishes  but decided to try just winging it  & in the past few years  the food seemed fine

Do you mean it is more noisy than before the refurb?

It used to be bad in the middle section before

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Next time  just tell the waiter  NO extra salt  or NO SALT  .. I thought hey had cut  back on oversalting 

I used to get the special diet  ..with menus delivered the day before to choose dishes  but decided to try just winging it  & in the past few years  the food seemed fine

Do you mean it is more noisy than before the refurb?

It used to be bad in the middle section before

I did try saying no extra salt a few times however it did not seem to make a difference.

10 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I did try saying no extra salt a few times however it did not seem to make a difference.

That is too bad

Back in 2010  I had serious issues with the over salting

The next few cruises I  had my TA put  in the "special diet" request  as I did not want to repeat  that issue

It is odd  but they only give you menus for Dinner  though

I just stuck to salads & things I knew would not have salt 

I know some dishes need salt  but  they could use it sparingly  & let people that want more add it at the table

You would think with the  demographics O has onboard  using less salt would  be a priority

JMO

Off my rant

9 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I am wondering if anybody noticed the GDR on Insignia being extra noisy.  It might have just been an off night where the large table next to us was extra loud or I was wondering if they put too many hard surfaces in the room so that it reflects too much sound.  

The noise may have been due to the particular crowd? That was the first leg of our B2B (Repeat lol). On the last evening in Toscana, it was particularly loud. We have not ecountered that before.