Trans-Atlantic Questions

12 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Thanks for all the input / tips.  I would prefer Westbound, but the price difference of $1,849 vs $5,104 makes the Eastbound the better option in my opinion.  

Hoping that in 2021 there are similar prices.  We already have a Harmony cruise scheduled for April next year so probably can't do the March Trans Atlantic next year.  I will watch the Westbound prices for Nov 2020 also.  Since it seems they are more popular, I'm guessing I may not find an OV Balcony for under $2,000.  

Try to book as soon as itineraries are released. We booked the Nov. 2020 Allure TA almost a year ago. Paid a total $2800.00 for 2 with a C&A discount for a deck 12 1C on the forward hump, prices have almost doubled since then.  If you get a balcony the sun only shines on one side of the ship., port westbound and starboard eastbound. happy cruising

On 8/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, thrifty99 said:

I am just starting to look into the Trans-Atlantic cruises and had a couple of questions.  We have never done one but they have always interested us.  We would prefer only the Oasis Class as we enjoy those ships the most and feel they would offer the largest amount of activities on the long days at sea.

1.  Motion of ship.  My wife can get seasick on rough sea days.  When we crossed the North Atlantic on a Baltic Sea cruse there was about 24 hours of rough seas and she had to stay in bed.  How are the Trans-Atlantic cruises in general regarding the motion of the ship?  

2.  Pricing.  I was looking at a Trans-Atlantic next March 2020 on the Allure.  It is 12 nights from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona and an Ocean View Balcony is $1,849 for the 2 of us (including C&A Discount).  That seems like a great price for a 12 night cruise in a balcony but since I have never looked at these before I have nothing to compare it to.  Any idea if this is a good deal or is it typical of the Trans-Atlantic pricing?

3.  If you have done these before, do they do extra things on the ship to keep it from getting boring with that many days at sea?  Are there extra shows / entertainment throughout the 12 days?

Thank you very much for any insight you can share.  

Randy

We enjoyed our first transatlantic on the older smaller Visions and it was wonderful as the activities director named Talita was excellent. Activities were non stop. Zumba dancing etc in the centrum daily. But from what I’ve heard it’s not always that way. Next time we hope to cruise transatlantic with Allure or similar.

The ocean was not a problem coming back. Very pleasant. A key was like 6 time changes back to USA. Every other day you gained an extra hour sleep. Fantastic.

I don’t know about going to Europe from USA about how they handle the time changes onboard but  I do know flying over you need a day or two to recover. 

I too can get seasick despite cruising for many years.  The  Royal Caribbean TA we took was westbound from Copenhagen to Boston and one of those days, the sea was pretty rough. I just  zoned out on dramamine for the day. But that was our first and last TA as after 16 days on the ship (with eight sea days), both my husband and I were more than ready to get back on land.

32 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

I too can get seasick despite cruising for many years.  The  Royal Caribbean TA we took was westbound from Copenhagen to Boston and one of those days, the sea was pretty rough. I just  zoned out on dramamine for the day. But that was our first and last TA as after 16 days on the ship (with eight sea days), both my husband and I were more than ready to get back on land.

Big difference sailing the North Atlantic compared to turning south out of the Med and dropping down to Miami.  Do agree you need to be a sea day lover to fully enjoy a TA. Our last TA on Symphony had 8 straight sea days and we loved it.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, thrifty99 said:

I am just starting to look into the Trans-Atlantic cruises and had a couple of questions.  We have never done one but they have always interested us.  We would prefer only the Oasis Class as we enjoy those ships the most and feel they would offer the largest amount of activities on the long days at sea.

1.  Motion of ship.  My wife can get seasick on rough sea days.  When we crossed the North Atlantic on a Baltic Sea cruse there was about 24 hours of rough seas and she had to stay in bed.  How are the Trans-Atlantic cruises in general regarding the motion of the ship?  

2.  Pricing.  I was looking at a Trans-Atlantic next March 2020 on the Allure.  It is 12 nights from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona and an Ocean View Balcony is $1,849 for the 2 of us (including C&A Discount).  That seems like a great price for a 12 night cruise in a balcony but since I have never looked at these before I have nothing to compare it to.  Any idea if this is a good deal or is it typical of the Trans-Atlantic pricing?

3.  If you have done these before, do they do extra things on the ship to keep it from getting boring with that many days at sea?  Are there extra shows / entertainment throughout the 12 days?

Thank you very much for any insight you can share.  

Randy

If this helps you any Randy my Father and I did 90 nights on Royal Caribbean with all of them but one a Trans Atlantic and another one a Suez Canal on Royal plus a 14 nighter around the Med on Cunard and a 14 nighter Fort Lauderdale-Los Angeles Panama Canal Full Transit Cruise.

We really only experienced one rough day in the Med on our Cunard Cruise when we could not dock in Villefranche due to weather.  Other than that it was smooth sailing. Everyone is different!.

Enjoy your cruise and remember Green Apples and Tea and  a Sea Band is your friend!