Will We Be Left Lobsterless And Heartbroken?

vtcruising

On 8/25/2019 at 8:00 PM, vtcruising said:

Being from New England, we are all about Maine lobster, but for some reason we still order a Carib lobster tail on cruises most of the lobster nights, even though there is no comparison. Blu's is usually pretty good and Luminae's was quite good in January. Surf and turf and skipping dessert is also good. 🙂

Just another New Englander who doesn't understand the lack of appreciation for warm water lobster. I get it's not the same but it's still pretty good. 

15 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Just another New Englander who doesn't understand the lack of appreciation for warm water lobster. I get it's not the same but it's still pretty good. 

I guess some lobster lovers would say that any lobster is better then no lobster :).  But we do find that the flavor of most warm water lobster is lacking (the sweetness is just not there) when compared to most cold water lobsters.  And there is also some difference in texture (cold water lobsters seem to have more firmness).  But we have long been amazed at the attention paid (and the importance in some minds) of "lobster night" on cruises.  The reality is that anyone who can afford to pay for a cruise can certainly afford to simply stop at their local supermarket (or fish market) and buy a few decent lobster tails.  And for many of us, we can also buy live Maine lobsters (we are talking with claws) and easily cook the bugs.   I will admit that we seldom cook lobster at home, but the option is always available and the preparation is quite simple.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

And for many of us, we can also buy live Maine lobsters (we are talking with claws) and easily cook the bugs.   I will admit that we seldom cook lobster at home, but the option is always available and the preparation is quite simple.

Hank

I agree with everything you said but I still think they're pretty good. We do a couple of lobster boils every summer. We use to buy them off the boats here in Rhode Island but now we've gotten a little lazy and just pick them up at the fish store.

12 minutes ago, Big_G said:

I agree with everything you said but I still think they're pretty good. We do a couple of lobster boils every summer. We use to buy them off the boats here in Rhode Island but now we've gotten a little lazy and just pick them up at the fish store.

If they are alive when you put them in the pot....they are still fresh :).  That is another reason why I prefer the New England/Canadian lobsters that are kept alive until cooked.  Some of the frozen stuff (generally tails) are very good, but others are less than stellar.  One fish market guy told us the problem with a lot of frozen fish (including lobster tails) is that they are not constantly kept at cold enough temperatures during their life of transportation and storage.  The freeze/ partial thaw cycle apparently has a major impact on the texture.

Hank

If your local supermarket or fish market does not have a live lobster tank, there are companies in the northeast US including Maine and other lobster states that will ship you live lobsters if you really need a fix!  We did this once for a family gathering.  More expensive- Yes.  Worth it- Yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mglas356 said:

On reflection NOW had 2 lobster tails last night

all you can eat shrimp for lunch today

got a blue tote bag umbrella and robe

veranda cabin

Truth 

this board is becoming sad

Wha?  You don't want to complain about anything on your cruise?