A couple of newbie questions that I can't find answers

TruJeffie

theHello,

I am considering booking my first Azamara cruise (South African trip with a pre-trip including Safari and Victoria Falls provided by Micato Tours). My concern is that my mother wants to come along and that would make for 3 people. I hate the idea of booking a room for only one person due to the expense and we can't find a 4th person to join. I have a few questions:

1. In the Club Continent suites can 3 adults book the room? 

2. Has anyone seen pictures of the extra bed/bunk they have in this room?

3. Any idea how the pre-trip would work for 3 people?

If anyone has any insight or suggestions it would be much appreciated. I want to go to our travel agent already knowing the answers to my concerns. I am also concerned about going nuts with 3 people in a single suite.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Yes, you can book a Club Continent Suite for 3.  You'll need to have a look at the deck plan and pick the one with the square on it.  All of these cabins have tubs rather than walk in showers.  If you have a look at this thread I put a couple of photos to show the chair/bed in the cabin.

Phil

You do know you can book Micato Tours direct at a far better price and would be able to be in more control over how they might handle three people?  I would contact them and see what they can offer.

• Like 1

I hope those bathtubs have an overhead shower? Never understood why anyone would want to take a bath on a cruise ship soaking in dirty water but to each his own. I will definitely work with the T. A. about Micato tours but still love the simplicity of doing everything including airfare through the cruise company.

The website about the Club Continent suites also mentions something about a bunkbed pulling down from the ceiling. Anyone know about that? 

Thanks everyone for your insights

• Like 1

Yes there is an overhead shower - don't start "tub gate" though, I am totally with you on that one but its been hammered to death in the past on these board and there is still a strong lobby for tubs.  In fact when they were doing the refit it was initially to be all showers and then people started complaining.

I appreciate what you say about simplicity though its not always that simple - have you though about using an agent to put the three parts together (not the cruise line) you might find that easier to get your specific needs taken care of.  I have come to the view that simplicity for me involves managing individual parts of an itinerary as there is then the attention to detail and contingencies on timings I need.  Sadly I do not get that same attention and forethought buying packaged up activities.

21 minutes ago, TruJeffie said:

I hope those bathtubs have an overhead shower? Never understood why anyone would want to take a bath on a cruise ship soaking in dirty water but to each his own. I will definitely work with the T. A. about Micato tours but still love the simplicity of doing everything including airfare through the cruise company.

The website about the Club Continent suites also mentions something about a bunkbed pulling down from the ceiling. Anyone know about that? 

Thanks everyone for your insights.

Have never seen or seen mention of pull-down bunkbed in CCsuites.

I swear I read they had two options for an extra bed in the CC suites but of course I cant find it now on the Azamara website. Something about it pulling down from the ceiling. Maybe I am going nuts. Very much looking forward to my first Azamara cruise. Only been on a couple of cruises and they were both Viking. The Azamara boards seem like a friendly bunch.

Jeffrey

46 minutes ago, TruJeffie said:

I swear I read they had two options for an extra bed in the CC suites but of course I cant find it now on the Azamara website. Something about it pulling down from the ceiling. Maybe I am going nuts. Very much looking forward to my first Azamara cruise. Only been on a couple of cruises and they were both Viking. The Azamara boards seem like a friendly bunch.

Jeffrey

No pull down bed.  The arrangement is as posted in the link above. I’ve not slept on one made up as a bed, but the chair is very comfy so I’m guessing it is good as a bed.  The room is fine for 3, notwithstanding you’ll only have one bathroom. Drawer space is good.  For three the hanging space might be at a premium, depending upon how much that needs hangers you all bring.  There is a self service laundry a deck down with two ironing boards.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I found that type of suite quite spacious, although the closet and shelf space is a bit small.  Whether you can handle sharing with your mum is completely to do with your mutual relationship.  I wonder why all of the 3-person suites are tub/shower combos?

Personally I wish it was 80% 20% in favour of the showers, but obviously they felt the three in a cabin would appreciate a tub.  Having done both I think the walk in shower is much more successful, but for me the tub and shower is ok.  But I’m agile. I totally understand why some would struggle. It’s quite a step up. Always a chance to swap to one of the accessible ones on deck 7 if one is free nearer sail date.  That’s the way to go and if you are stuck with a tub.  Less bathroom storage though.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

In 2016 we did three of us in a CC suite. The fold out sofa they had at the time was changed in the remodel.

They provided at our request an "egg carton" foam topper for the sofa bed. I slept fine. My sister and I swapped who slept on the sofa bed or twin bed halfway through the cruise but I could have continued on the sofa bed. During the day the sofa was closed up.  Sometimes the topper was rolled up in a corner. Other times it was removed. I would book a CC again but if traveling with my 82 year old mother I would prefer a shower stall over a tub.