Old DSLR vs iPhone

Just retired, & we are getting ready to go on our 1st cruise anywhere, to Alaska.  Dug around a bit and dusted off my Nikon D3000, with a Sigma DG 70 to 300 mm lens.  I know this camera is dated (so am I) but my iPhone is fairly new.  The iPhone has more MP than my camera.  Is it still worth packing the camera, or should I use the space in the luggage for an extra sweater?

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Just retired, & we are getting ready to go on our 1st cruise anywhere, to Alaska.  Dug around a bit and dusted off my Nikon D3000, with a Sigma DG 70 to 300 mm lens.  I know this camera is dated (so am I) but my iPhone is fairly new.  The iPhone has more MP than my camera.  Is it still worth packing the camera, or should I use the space in the luggage for an extra sweater?

The phone will do great for the walkabout town photos and on the ship but the DSLR will come in very handy if you are seeing whales, eagles and such. They don't tend to get within range of the wide view on your phone and though it does zoom, it is really only a digital crop of the image and you will lose detail. The D3000 and 70-300 should serve you well for the longer shots.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any camera from the last 5-6 years with a good telephoto will beat the pants off your smartphone as noted, but for everything else your smartphone likely far easier and more satisfaction then popping for an expensive wide angle, or even old wide angle on any body, unless you are a peeper, or blow up to huge sizes.

• Thanks 1

How have folks found their phones doing in low light situations that would otherwise be well suited for a phone?  I ask because the sensors on phones are physically a fraction the size of an APS-C or full frame sensor.  Even if they have the same overall resolution, I would think this could present an issue in low light.  I'm sure the high end phones use high end hardware and advanced software to counter this, but how effective is it?

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

How have folks found their phones doing in low light situations that would otherwise be well suited for a phone?  I ask because the sensors on phones are physically a fraction the size of an APS-C or full frame sensor.  Even if they have the same overall resolution, I would think this could present an issue in low light.  I'm sure the high end phones use high end hardware and advanced software to counter this, but how effective is it?

My granddaughter by 17-candlepower cakelight shot with Night-Sight mode on my Pixel XL. I'd say it's pretty effective.

IMG_20190825_190928.thumb.jpg.020b7b3ec8625976069f178e66cb6300.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

All comes down to the end use of the picture, nothing makes up for size, for collecting photons,  but find that all my once in a lifetime vacation shots are more than adequate with my iPhone, even in  at night mode, good enough for lifesize print, no, but for my joy, plenty good.  Shooting sports/action, that is the rare time I bring out the FX and F2/F2.8 lense 😁

067.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I learned the hard way when I went to Alaska.I got told to just use my iPhone and I’ll be fine.  This was before I knew about these message boards.  The minute I took that first shot of the landscape, I knew I made a huge mistake.  The pictures came out ok, but didn’t have the clarity and pop of my DSLR even though it’s from 2012.  I will never again go on another cruise without my DSLR even though it takes a lot of room in my bag and can be bulky.  The iPhone works great for quick selfie or shots to post on social media but for everything else, my vote is for the camera.

• Like 2

If landscapes were an issue, what about action photos?

Scenario = Alaska, for example

Whale is coming to surface. Bear is catching salmon. DSLR=hold down shutter and take multiple photos with one (?) excellent photo as a result. How many can you take with a phone over that short timespan? 

I don't use a phone for photos, so all you phone fanatics, tell me I'm wrong.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, idh2019 said:

Whale is coming to surface. Bear is catching salmon. DSLR=hold down shutter and take multiple photos with one (?) excellent photo as a result. How many can you take with a phone over that short timespan? 

There are some things where processing power and advanced sensors are making phones a viable alternative to things we once thought only a DSLR could do (like simulated bokeh), and others where they haven't been able to match good glass and a big sensor (such as long telephoto).  The example you gave is a scenario where you might need long reach and would probably benefit from a faster aperture and bigger sensor so you can freeze the action with a high shutter speed.

It also depends on the end product.  A picture not suitable from printing or viewing at a large scale might still be fine shared between phones, and all the post processing and uploading can be done right from the phone.  So if that is all you need, its faster and easier. 

With amount of R+D going into phone cameras, the phone will get more versatile in the future, though I have no idea exactly how and when!  Until then, I'll be keeping both my phone and my DSLR with me on trips so I can take the type of pictures I want to take with the proper equipment for the job.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:31 PM, idh2019 said:

If landscapes were an issue, what about action photos?

Scenario = Alaska, for example

I don't use a phone for photos, so all you phone fanatics, tell me I'm wrong.

Spray and pray, or is it pray and spray.   Actually the iPhone and others shoot pretty fast and are great for capturing moments as well.      It is when those moments are at a distance or in low light  and you need a tele that ILC and the right lens makes a difference, or that a big sensor wins over little.

2A9CA98D-309A-49F8-9C56-5D119F949EF3.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1