Pre Cruise Extension in Nuremberg

GoldenBailey

I will be leaving on Viking from Nuremberg and would like to add a pre-cruise extension in Nuremberg but cannot find one.  I only find a pre-cruise extension in Prague.  Do you know if Viking offers an extension in Nuremberg?  Thanks.

Dear @GoldenBailey,

Thank you for your desire to extend your river journey with us! While at this time we do not offer any pre- or post-cruise extensions in Nuremberg, we have taken note of your interest for further review.

We hope this helps as you finalize plans for your upcoming voyage and kindly welcome additional questions at TellUs@vikingcruises.com should you wish to speak with us more directly.

We look forward to exploring with you,
Viking Cruises

16 hours ago, GoldenBailey said:

I will be leaving on Viking from Nuremberg and would like to add a pre-cruise extension in Nuremberg but cannot find one.  I only find a pre-cruise extension in Prague.  Do you know if Viking offers an extension in Nuremberg?  Thanks.

book on your own!

We stayed 3 bites in Nurem' after our V River, booked on our own and had a great time.

We stayed at Hotel NH Collection Nürnberg City, a short walk from main train station. After day here we took the train to Hamburg ... then came home on QM2

Note:  V River does not tie up in Nuremb' proper ... we were actually in Erlangen .. about 10 miles north (the airport is about half way between here and Nur')

In Germany I wouldn't hesitate to do a deviation on my flight (if you're using Viking Air) to just arrive a few days early on my own. It's easy to find a hotel and there are enough people here to help with excursions. (And I just noticed that Capt_BJ has the same idea.)

Our last time in Germany was for a Christmas Market cruise from Prague to Budapest. We flew into Munich, took a train to Dresden to see their market, train to Prague to start the tour, did the tour, extra few days in Budapest on our own, train to Garmisch for a week, back home from Munich. Fun time.

The Hotel Victoria is a decent priced hotel just inside the wall, an underground walk way will take you right to the train station. Breakfast is included and very nice one, easy walk to all the inner city sites, the war sites would be by public transportation.  From Nuremberg very easy by train to get to Munich, etc.  If staying in Bavaria use the DB Bavaria Pass for travel after 9am to 3am next morning wherever in Bavaria you want to go in second class about 32 Euro for two.

I would support doing a pre-cruise extension on your own.  We did a post-cruise visit after a Scenic cruise (opted to stay in Nuremberg instead of continuing on to Prague.)  We stayed in the Hotel Agneshof…  quite central, easy to walk into the central part of the city. 

https://www.sorat-hotels.com/en/hotel/agneshof-nuernberg.html

We booked a tour through Tours by Locals.  Our guide had a car, so he took us out to the Documentation Centre, as well as seeing other sites.  We had been there (Nuremberg) before, so had seen the castle - but a 2nd trip there provided more and different information.

We did the tour of the Nazi Art Bunker.  You have to do this with a guide - and, when we went, the tour was in German, but we had headsets with English to allow us to follow along.

Don't forget to buy Lebkuchen... the ElisenKuchen (have probably murdered the spelling... sorry) is AMAZING!!  Once you have Lebkuchen from Nuremberg, nothing else compares.  

We found some great restaurants there as well.  

Enjoy!!

Fran

Nuremburg is a 3 hour bus ride from Prague, and I would consider a diversion there.  Our cruise started in Nuremburg, but Avalon's precruise extension was in Prague.  Prague is wonderful.  Nuremburg is pleasant, but not as outstanding as Prague.