Packing help and a food question

Hi gang, 

T minus about 30 days until our family goes on our biggest adventure yet...flying to the other side of the country for a cruise! I've been on over 25 cruises and have never had to fly a long distance and all that entails (packing for 4, laundry, etc.) with kids. I need help! This may not be the right forum, but if you can help a mama out, that would be awesome! We're seeing family before a 7 night cruise, so we'll need to pack for 13 days. I figure 3 suitcases, 4 backpacks and 1 garment bag. Can I fit it all in? Should I assume I will have to pay for a laundry run? Point me in the right direction, awesome travelers!

My second question, and quite honestly, the most important one...do they serve smoked salmon in the buffet for breakfast on Serenade of the Seas? Hahaha. Priorities, people! 

Finally, we haven't sailed on Royal in almost 20 years and that was before we had kids. Anything I should know?

Thanks, Knowledgeable Strangers!

RC does not have self service laundry on board.  Assuming you are visiting before cruise it would be cheaper to do a laundry run prior to boarding.  You can send laundry out for a fee, plus there is a $35 wash and fold bag for underwear, T-shirts, etc. offered on board.

how old are kids - makes a big difference in what you will need to pack. There is a family cruising board that will perhaps be helpful.  If they are young - need diapers, pull-ups, etc. much better to take with you. Also any first aid or medications.  If they are older, you won’t need to worry about that stuff.  Would make sure you have plenty of t-shirts, shorts, swimsuits and long pants and a collared shirt for MDR. Cruising isn’t as formal as it used to be but men/boys are still requested to wear long pants to dinner. 

when flying it’s usually cheaper and easier to buy your toiletries, suntan lotion, beverages, etc. to take on board after you land. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

4 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

RC does not have self service laundry on board.  Assuming you are visiting before cruise it would be cheaper to do a laundry run prior to boarding.  You can send laundry out for a fee, plus there is a $35 wash and fold bag for underwear, T-shirts, etc. offered on board.

how old are kids - makes a big difference in what you will need to pack. There is a family cruising board that will perhaps be helpful.

when flying it’s usually cheaper and easier to buy your toiletries, suntan lotion, beverages, etc. to take on board after you land. 

One is turning 9 onboard (!) and the other is 10. Small clothes! Woohoo!

Great idea on buying it when we get there! Thanks!

Also, are there generally 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise like other lines? 

1 minute ago, SwimCarrie said:

Yes, but not ball gowns and tux’s too much. Just not as formal any more. You will see a wide variety of dress - still some people truly formal, but some will be in jeans and even shorts (shorts are requested not to be worn to MDR, but people still do).  

Just now, Grandma Dazzles said:

Yes, but not ball gowns and tux’s too much. Just not as formal any more. You will see a wide variety of dress - still some people truly formal, but some will be in jeans and even shorts (shorts are requested not to be worn to MDR, but people still do).  

We have that covered. We take our annual family photo on cruises (matching dresses, ties, and all! lol). Unfortunately, I think that means we'll have to pay for ironing. Boo!

Pack your suitcases and then remove some of the items and leave them home. 

I have learned from many cruises that you almost never use all of the stuff you bring to wear.

Keep it simple for the kids, shorts, t's, swimsuits, jeans, cover ups.

Us grown-ups can wear items at least twice during the cruise. 

No one will judge or even notice!

Compression bags are your friend! you won't believe the amount of stuff you can fit into them!

• Like 2

Are you really flying cross county to do a New England cruise and bring young kids?

They are going to be bored after the first day because those small ships don't have much too do.

Probably be to cold to use the pools. 

You should go too FL and sail one of the newer, larger ships.   

Edited by matj2000

2 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Are you really flying cross county to do a New England cruise and bring young kids?

They are going to be board after the first day because those small ships don't have much to do.

You should have went to FL to do one of the newer large ships.   

Hahaha. You're teasing, right? You do you. My kids and I will be just fine. 🙂 

If you're not kidding: *bored, not a small ship, *too, *should have gone

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

Just got off on a B2B and it was so nice to see no more formal nights.  Just jeans and shorts are not allowed. 

Edited by maria1122

17 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

They are going to be bored after the first day because those small ships don't have much too do.

I see you trying. *So Close* You can do it!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

queenfrostline22 has some good advice for you.

I would also suggest doing laundry on your pre cruise visit.

As for ironing, try using Downy Wrinkle Release.

Great product as it does get the wrinkles out.

As for your kids being “bored”, they are fortunate to be on a cruise,discovering a part of the country far from home!

You know your children best. Good that you and your DH are offering them this opportunity.

Enjoy your vacation and the cruise !

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Your comments are always so judgmental and non helpful. Can never understand why!

Smaller ships might not have all the “bells and whistles” but people book what works for them and their family.  Ship still has Adventure Ocean, if a family chooses, and lots to see and do.  

• Like 2

since you will be with family plan on packing for 67 days and doing laundry there.  Pack clothes you can wear more than once.  nothing too formal you cannot wear it someplace else.  Since I assume it will be warm go big on shorts and t shirts for the kid a couple of pairs of dark pants for dinner will take care of all 7 nights figuring in a couple of nights at the buffet.

You can purchase vacuum bags that are good for underwear and stuff will shrink it down to nothing.  Just remember the weight does not change.  Look at you airline and see how they charge for bags, many times the 2nd bag costs more so if you have 3 bags check it under a different person.  i would shoot for 2 large suitcases and backpacks.  No need for a garment bag unless you really like dressing up.  Same goes for shoes if they are not comfy  do not take them, but bring flip flops.

Check you bag weight go for 48 lbs for a little safety margin when flying.

if you are planning on buying anything bring some old clothes you can get rid of to have space on the way back.

I know people that just do carry-on for 2 people and a 14 day cruise.  I cannot do it but I do one suitcase and a backpack no problem at all.

21 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

We're seeing family before a 7 night cruise, so we'll need to pack for 13 days. I figure 3 suitcases, 4 backpacks and 1 garment bag. Can I fit it all in? Should I assume I will have to pay for a laundry run? Point me in the right direction, awesome travelers!

Absolutely.  You  can fit it all in and won't need to do laundry. In fact you'll have extra room.  JUST  KIDDING!!!  

Actually, who knows?  No one can possibly answer this question for you.  My wife needs two suitcases for a 7 night cruise just for herself.  We have a friend who carries a large suitcase for JUST shoes on each cruise (no joke, she really does).  So only YOU can determine what to pack and how much. 

Here's what we do..... a "practice pack."   Yeah (wife's idea). We pack everything we're taking about 1- 2 weeks out to make sure it all fits.  Then we unpack and put it all aside so it stays clean and ready to go.  This way it's all clean, folded for packing or hung for placing in the garment bag, and we know how many suitcases we need and how much they weigh so there are no last minute surprises as we get ready to head out fo the house.  Give that a try.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to be visiting family the 6 nights prior to the cruise,  then do a couple loads the day before you board the ship.

Either at family's members house or a laundromat.  

On the ship you can wash items in the sink & shower.    Then hang to dry.

I did it all the time.

Here is a photo taken of my  balcony cabin from a cruise last year.

drying_panties-9.jpg

• Haha 1

If you are going on the NE/Canada cruise, my short answer is plan on wearing layers.  I agree with others that a couple of quick loads of layering pieces will have you all set between land and cruise.

Longer answer is to use the 10 day forecast at weather.com for a few places you will be visiting before your final pack.  Weather in New England can change dramatically from day to day at this time of year, but the 10 day outlook will give you a nice trend.

Depending on where you are from, you might still be cold here even if you put on every piece of clothing you bring.  Many natives will be in shorts till late October and may not wear a coat till November.  That is just how we roll.

Enjoy the cruise - you might be seeing some great foliage color the further north you go.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ptod said:

If you are going on the NE/Canada cruise, my short answer is plan on wearing layers.  I agree with others that a couple of quick loads of layering pieces will have you all set between land and cruise.

Longer answer is to use the 10 day forecast at weather.com for a few places you will be visiting before your final pack.  Weather in New England can change dramatically from day to day at this time of year, but the 10 day outlook will give you a nice trend.

Depending on where you are from, you might still be cold here even if you put on every piece of clothing you bring.  Many natives will be in shorts till late October and may not wear a coat till November.  That is just how we roll.

Enjoy the cruise - you might be seeing some great foliage color the further north you go.

We're from California...hot, inland California. We went to Alaska a few years ago anticipating cold... our coldest day was in San Francisco! Haha. Thanks for the advice on the weather. Will sweatshirts and raincoats suffice or are we talking winter jackets at the beginning of October?

Thank you all so much for all the advice. I'll definitely do few loads at my sister's house before we leave. That should help a lot. I'm currently buying raincoats, long sleeve pajamas, sweatshirts, etc. in 100 degree heat! Blech! My daughter has played "cruise" for the last week and it's a month away. Needless to say, she's ready! Now it's time for me to figure out logistics! 

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We always pack a little extra, but this might be overkill.  😂

Ah if only we could edit our old posts for typos  meant 6/7 days

As for raincoats I would not bother  get some ponchos which can go over anything and are easy to pack,  Sweatshirts can be used as pajamas.  Remember the cabin does have a thermostat so don't overdo nightclothes.  Get a 3 season jacket that is water repellent.

You will have to decide if you want to go some place when it is raining vs a chance of rain.  If you are going out in the rain bring/wear shoes that can get wet, that is the one place that sneaker fail.

• Like 2

We often tack on days in our departure port before the cruise. Like others have said, I do laundry before boarding. We are usually at a hotel, so I have to go to a laundry mat, but I have more control over how it’s done (water temp, being able to hang stuff to dry) than if I sent it out on the ship. I also try to plan to wear my pants or skirts more than once. 

Right now now we are in Seattle where it’s in the 80s, and we’re heading to Alaska where it’s in the 50s, so I did have to bring some extra stuff, but luckily you get 2 bags free on Southwest, so I didn’t have to worry about bag fees!

• Like 1