No water for 5 1/2 hours tonight on our cruise ship - How does it work?

HeinBloed

How does it work on a cruise ship if you have NO water supply incl. access to toilet flushing for 5 1/2 hours tonight between 00:30 hrs and 06:00 hrs? At home, we would arrange some buckets of water but we have no vacuum-toilet either, and here we have no buckets. We could fill our bathtub with water but that would not be helpful at all. Would they set up some mobile toilets on the open decks?

IMG_2808.JPG

• Like 1

We recently just had the same thing on Amsterdam.  Some Decks had it shut off in the overnight hours but one morning the whole Ship had it shut off from 9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. to fix a pipe. They gave us a letter the evening before about it.  Be sure to run the water in sink and in tub for about 5 - 10 minutes after they turn it back on.  You will have some brownish water coming out at first.

They set up portable Coffee and Water stations in Lido.  We had this done on a Port day so most people were off the Ship when the water was turned off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeinBloed said:

which means... you need to see later a toilet again and have to flush...

No, you just wait until the toilets are working again and then you flush 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It should be a minimal impact.  For drinking, fill a few glasses with water & ask your steward for ice.

As for flushing, as others say, flush after 6am.  We do that routinely when on board, anyway.  The plumbing is so noisy that we feel it's kinder to each other and to our neighbors. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

While we've never been on a ship that required a shut-down to an entire system, I can understand that regular maintenance is a must.  To avoid inconveniencing all passengers, they scheduled this at a time that would impact the least amount of passengers.  Yes, it's inconvenient, especially if someone is like me and needs "to go" at some point during the night, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Think about those poor passengers on that Carnival ship some years ago who were without any water/electricity for days on end.  They sat/slept on hot, open decks and ate sandwiches for several days.  I understand the stench from the toilets was unbearable.  Yikes!  Now, that would be a disaster.

32 minutes ago, OHCruiser said:

It should be a minimal impact.  For drinking, fill a few glasses with water & ask your steward for ice.

As for flushing, as others say, flush after 6am.  We do that routinely when on board, anyway.  The plumbing is so noisy that we feel it's kinder to each other and to our neighbors. 

I wish we could cruise next door to you!  I'll bet you don't let your cabin door slam shut either. 

Common, but oh so uncommon courtesy.

• Like 8

By the way: since we are heading towards North America and jump into the next time zone: + 1 hour = 6 1/2 hour to bridge without toilet...

But my problems are mainly "solved":

I am staying on the Lower Promenade Deck and could use the places reserved for dogs:

2019-VEENDAM-030403.jpg.6ef55bcef144aef53dbef7eb40777ac2.jpg

or stepping out of Lanai cabin... checking the direction of the wind to avoid becoming wet... since I am not in the sheltered part of the Lower Promenade Deck...

2019-VEENDAM-011804.jpg.b39e6ff93e3e632590639e623e2cc882.jpg

Since we are arriving soon at the location TITANIC sank, I am just wondering that the works had no time to wait until we arrive at the next port and are so urgent to be fixed tonight.

1 minute ago, HeinBloed said:

By the way: since we are heading towards North America and jump into the next time zone: + 1 hour = 6 1/2 hour to bridge without toilet...

But my problems are mainly "solved":

I am staying on the Lower Promenade Deck and could use the places reserved for dogs:

2019-VEENDAM-030403.jpg.6ef55bcef144aef53dbef7eb40777ac2.jpg

or stepping out of Lanai cabin... checking the direction of the wind to avoid becoming wet... since I am not in the sheltered part of the Lower Promenade Deck...

2019-VEENDAM-011804.jpg.b39e6ff93e3e632590639e623e2cc882.jpg

Since we are arriving soon at the location TITANIC sank, I am just wondering that the works had no time to wait until we arrive at the next port and are so urgent to be fixed tonight.

OMG.  Just go in the toilet and don’t flush if you have to go in the middle of the night.

OMG I know (hope and pray) you are kidding.  Uggh.

• Like 3

The OP has at least three other recent posts here complaining about one thing or another. It is a shame he so unhappy with his life that he can't roll with the flow and enjoy his cruise. Maybe he should just find another way to vacation.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

The OP has at least three other recent posts here complaining about one thing or another. It is a shame he so unhappy with his life that he can't roll with the flow and enjoy his cruise. Maybe he should just find another way to vacation.

Well... since this is my cruise no. 100 (and not all of them with HAL) and HAL changed a lot since my last on HAL 2016 and become in some parts level like MSC and Costa...

everything good on HAL which made them better, more exclusive than others are removed.

By the way: I asked for background information on the changes - so EXPERIENCED cruisers would know what I am talking about.

In 99 cruises before, I never had a total suspension of water supply for 6 1/2 hours - and I was just wondering how other cruiser handled the situation.

But with 330 postings right now, I do not expect that you can add something informative for me.

And how serious the malfunction that they cannot wait another 36 hours until we arrive in St. John's?

There most guests would be on shore excursions and must not use water onboard.

And the others who are onboard may use the washrooms in the cruise terminal.

And what if they would not complete the work at 06:00 hrs and everyone wakes up... and... need toilet and coffee and no water available...

Edited by HeinBloed

11 minutes ago, HeinBloed said:

But with 330 postings right now, I do not expect that you can add something informative for me.

That is an outlandish statement to make.

Whether someone has 330 or 3,300 or 33,000 posts is irrelevant.  But their point was well made.  Your statement deriding their number of posts and assuming they couldn’t help, wasn’t.

I guess you have never lost power and toilet flushing at home?  We have.  We are on a well and while I prepare there are times, it’s unexpected and I don’t have enough water to risk putting in the bowl to flush.

It’s very simple if you have to go, you do and it sits there until you can flush.  Gross, maybe but sometimes that’s the way it goes.  Not just on cruise ships, at home too.

So roll up your sleeves, put your big boy pants on, do your last business before it’s shut off and the odds are you may not need it until after it’s back on.  And, if you do, just do it and shut the top down so you don’t have to look.  It’s the only solution.

As to waiting for St John’s - not everyone will get off the ship or a lot will be back early.  Toilets are used at lot less from the time frame they are giving you than during the day.

No one said you can’t use it.  You just can’t flush it.  Pretty simple.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1