Food on Seaside (Yacht Cub)

dmccadden

We were in the yacht club last February 2018 shortly after they started sailing. I remember ordering a crab cake appetizer and it was worse than store bought frozen item.  I also remember the rest of the food was just not that good at dinner.  The bar and grill on the pool deck was better remember getting lamb chops fresh made pasta dishes and even lobster.

any recent experience about the food would be appreciated.  We will be in yacht club again this October.  We were on the Divina last year in October and liked the food better on that ship.

thanks for any insights!

Dave

MSC took on a new VP for Food & Beverage in June?? from Celebrity so hopefully the food has improved. We are on Meraviglia in Oct but someone is hoping to do a report on things from Seaview this week. Check out See-viewing from Seaview topic (I think thats what its called)

There is also a long review with food comments from Captain John called Meraviglia YC Baltic itinerary at the moment its at the bottom of this page.

Edited by emmas gran
addition

I'll try and summarise the food as best I can, within the constraints of my memory, from my experience on Meraviglia in May.

It is a definite step up from non-YC MSC fare, no contest. There were some very, very strong dishes (beef filet, duck breast springs to mind) and some misses ('seafood skewers' that had been under the heat lamp too long, vegetable burrito that lacked flavour, greasy fish & chips). The strong dishes were up there with the best MDR meals we've had on other lines. Pastas, salads, burgers at lunch were all good and better than you'd get anywhere else on the ship.

I do think MSC could do more to make the food quality match the overall ambiance they are hoping for with the Yacht Club concept.

I did also resolve that for my next cruise I will ask for a dish I have enjoyed previously, if I don't see a new one I'd like on the menu (I would have had the beef filet several nights if I had the choice!).

I'm very interested to compare the food on Preziosa next month to see if there's a noticeable difference post new F&B VP.

Also looking forward to Bea's comments from Seaview when she gets the chance.

We were on Seaside in March and mid June.  We thought food in March was pretty good.  They changed the menu to be more seafood.  Still good to us.  Since OP has sailed, they have added a YC dinner party by the pool one night at 9pm.

Early this year the Maitre'd was PePe in the Palmeraie, he was fantastic but I believe he has left the ship to join MSC Seaview.

Capt....I would be very interested in knowing who's the Maitre'd on the Preziosa next January in the Caribbean.

12 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Capt....I would be very interested in knowing who's the Maitre'd on the Preziosa next January in the Caribbean.

I've added to my 'port notes' document though so should remember to find this out for you. :) I may start a 'currently aboard Preziosa' thread for any questions like this, it wouldn't do you any harm to remind me on there too as I have a mind like a sieve!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Early this year the Maitre'd was PePe in the Palmeraie, he was fantastic but I believe he has left the ship to join MSC Seaview.

Pepe was also our Maitre'd on Preziosa, we were decidedly unimpressed. Perhaps he had improved by your sailing as you were a couple of months after us, IIRC.

3 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Pepe was also our Maitre'd on Preziosa, we were decidedly unimpressed. Perhaps he had improved by your sailing as you were a couple of months after us, IIRC.

Wow, you must be the only one (read many reviews with similar opinion to ours), he was fantastic.......couldn't do enough for us and really made the dinning room special

Food is so subjective.

I've read bad reviews, which I think had much to do with late dinner and a large party.  

We were on Seaside YC Dec 2018 and the food was good.   Not everything.   If you don't like something, just ask for something else.    Others we spoke with found the food very good. 

We mentioned to our waiter that we liked the creme brulee in the seafood specialty restaurant.   The next night he went there and got us some. 

Their pasta is fresh and delish.  Filet mignon was always available and a good fall back.

Room service pizza was really good.  The 7 cheese or whatever they called it was great.  Again, subjective as regional preferences will influence your opinion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Russ_MT said:

We mentioned to our waiter that we liked the creme brulee in the seafood specialty restaurant.   The next night he went there and got us some. 

Their pasta is fresh and delish.  Filet mignon was always available and a good fall back.

Room service pizza was really good.  The 7 cheese or whatever they called it was great.  Again, subjective as regional preferences will influence your opinion.

Excellent service received to have your waiter make a trek to get your requested dessert.   Great to know that their pasta is fresh, delicious, and that the room service pizza is good.  I am looking forward to my cruise on Meraviglia.