What currency to bring?

LoraJ

2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

This may seem a silly question. I am planning on getting some Euros at my bank before my cruise. But, when I do that, they usually give me a few small denominations, but most of it is in large bills, and no coins.

Can I trade some large bills for smaller bills and coins on my ship? (HAL Zuiderdam).

Or is there an easy way to do this once I am off the ship?

Once I buy something, I will get some change. But I have no real use for large bills, because any large purchase I make I will use a credit card. I just need the cash for small purchases.

I don't want end up in a restroom where I need a 1 Euro coin and not have one.

Any suggestions of how I can get a supply of small bills and coins?

My bank allows me to request small bills.  What airports will you be in prior to starting the cruise?  If it's an airport that is on the Euro, buy a cuppa or a newspaper and ask for the change entirely in coin.

If you need a ATM then avoid those arms located in tourist areas like Strøget in Copenhagen, they are a ripoff. 

I can't remember what brand they are but it says something with Euro or something on the side of the machine.

Go for the local banks  own ATM. 

In Denmark they are called Nordea, Danske Bank, Spar Nord, Arbejdernes Landsbank etc. 

On 12/25/2019 at 5:18 AM, Danish viking said:

If you need a ATM then avoid those arms located in tourist areas like Strøget in Copenhagen, they are a ripoff. 

I can't remember what brand they are but it says something with Euro or something on the side of the machine.

Go for the local banks  own ATM. 

In Denmark they are called Nordea, Danske Bank, Spar Nord, Arbejdernes Landsbank etc. 

This is good advice for just about anywhere in the world.  Stick with bank owned ATMs and avoid third party machines.  When possible I prefer to use ATMs that are actually physically located at the bank rather than a remote location.  While not always possible it is desirable.

Hank

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This is good advice for just about anywhere in the world.  Stick with bank owned ATMs and avoid third party machines.  When possible I prefer to use ATMs that are actually physically located at the bank rather than a remote location.  While not always possible it is desirable.

Although, for example in Finland, technically practically every ATM could be classied as third party machine as those are operated by separate corporate entities, although one of these companies Automatia, which operates Otto ATMs, is owned by the leading commercial banks (Nordea, OP, Danske Bank). The other ATM chain Nosto has Norwegian owner and frequently cooperates with S-pankki, which is the banking arm of S group of cooperative societies, and thus most of those ATM can be found at all sort of retail facilities. And either of these ATMs chains should be equally safe to use.

1 hour ago, Hezu said:

Although, for example in Finland, technically practically every ATM could be classied as third party machine as those are operated by separate corporate entities, although one of these companies Automatia, which operates Otto ATMs, is owned by the leading commercial banks (Nordea, OP, Danske Bank). The other ATM chain Nosto has Norwegian owner and frequently cooperates with S-pankki, which is the banking arm of S group of cooperative societies, and thus most of those ATM can be found at all sort of retail facilities. And either of these ATMs chains should be equally safe to use.

I guess we should have also mentioned Japan where most bank ATMs are not compatible with our North American networks.  But 7-11s have ATMs that usually work and are highly recommended by many travel experts.

Hank

19 hours ago, Magicat said:

So... when you say North American, are you saying Canadian bank cards don't work in Japanese ATMs either?  What about credit cards in Japan?

MC and Visa are universally accepted.  Others will be hit and miss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tom O. said:

I am more concerned with restrooms than anything else, for my trip next summer.

The machines take Euro coins in the countries that use the Euro. May vary from 50 Cents to 1 Euro. And many machines only take the exact coin. Sometimes they have a separate machine for changing bills to coins. Good idea to use an ATM and change into coins when buying from a street vendor, snack bar etc. I also keep coins from one trip to the next. 

I don't remember which Baltic countries had 'for pay' restrooms, but I know from our River cruise that Germany and Austria have many. In restaurants they are free, but department stores, train stations and Autobahn restrooms are almost always for pay. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tom O. said:

That is the experience of many people who cruise, because they spend all their time in tourist areas doing typical tourist activities. But, did you try using your chip and signature card at any automated device, such as a train ticket kiosk or pay to use restroom? I am more concerned with restrooms than anything else, for my trip next summer. I have heard that chip and signature cards will not work at automated devices.

Have coins for restrooms.  The only one I've ever seen that accepted a card was in the Vienna train station where it was a whopping three Euro to use a toilet.  

Perhaps you could buy some currency locally before you depart--either at your bank or the airport.  Stop at a news stand on arrival and make a small purchase, asking for small bills/coins for the change.  

Edited by ducklite