may seem like a stupid question....

nyc2pdx

I am taking my first cruise, and going to the Mexican Riviera over 7 days in December.

Will I be able to see land the whole trip, or will we be far enough off shore that it will be water, water, water?  My balcony cabin is on the starboard.

Welcome to Cruise Critic nyc2pdx!   First, a suggestion that you put a little more pertinent information about your question/comment in the title of your thread.  More people would likely look at your post if they knew more precisely your topic.

To answer your question I could need to know which ship and what itinerary you will be on!  What ports are you visiting? Going north to south?  Going south to north? Round trip?  Leaving from what port?  

Once we know all this, I will be happy to answer your question!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
wrong

Thanks for the suggestion-will do that in the future.  

I am going on the Norwegian Joy  from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallerta and then back to Los Angeles (San Pedro).  7 nights, December 8 sailing.  I'm on the Starboard side of the ship, so facing out to the Pacific on the way down, but on the way back,  I am just curious how close to land we will tend to be.

Great!   I kind of want to have the full experience for a few days...I wondered if they hug the coast as they go down Baja or not.  For me this taster cruise isn't so much about the ports, but rather turning off and just enjoying being on the water 😉

• Like 1

Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.

Going down the Baja Peninsula to Cabo you should see land a lot, after you leave Cabo there will a day or two with no, or not much, sight of land. You may see other ships and keep your eyes peeled for whales. Should be a great trip.

Welcome to the joys of Mexican Riviera cruising! Which sailing will you be on? I might be on the same trip!

And yeah, lots of water. Some days there will be a bit of land, especially when arriving / leaving Cabo, but mostly just water views. You should see plenty of dolphins and flying fish too!

• Like 1

Ah, I'm on the sailing the week before! Would've loved to meet ya!

I sail that route several times a year so if you have any questions, just shoot me a message! I'm happy to help, answer questions, offer advice, share my best tips and things to do, etc.

1 minute ago, moviegal said:

I sail that route several times a year so if you have any questions, just shoot me a message! I'm happy to help, answer questions, offer advice, share my best tips and things to do, etc.

Ah too bad!  I am just looking forward to spending a week in the warm air, taking in the ocean.  I don't even know if I will do the excursions or leave the ship.  I might hit the spa when everyone goes ashore 😉  

4 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Since you have done this before-when should I plan to arrive at the port?  Departure is at 3pm

On 9/4/2019 at 2:37 PM, nyc2pdx said:

Ah too bad!  I am just looking forward to spending a week in the warm air, taking in the ocean.  I don't even know if I will do the excursions or leave the ship.  I might hit the spa when everyone goes ashore 😉  

Glad you got an answer about being close to shore or not!  In 2018 I took two back to back 7 day cruises from San Diego to the same ports you will be visiting and never got off the ship once!  Like you, I just wanted to relax and enjoy the shipboard life. 

I am doing the same thing again in December, but since I like Puerta Vallarta, I will probably get off and go into the Old Town for awhile to have a snack and a beer/margarita.  I'll be on Holland America Line Oosterdam during the same time so our ships will pass each other somewhere along the way.  I'll wave to you 😎.  Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise!

~Nancy

• Like 1

Good question about this itinerary for first timers. I was wondering the same thing myself. 

We've always done the Caribbean, nearest homeport for us is Galveston. We're flying to LA and sailing the Panorama in February. Port side cove balcony cabins. 

thanks for the question, OP, and thanks to those who replied.😃

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, nyc2pdx said:

No, I am flying in the day before and staying nearby the night before.  Didn't want to chance it as one flake of snow in Portland and the whole city shuts down.

My friend and I are on your cruise. We stay at the Doubletree right near the port and head over at about 11.