ACCESSABILITY AT COCOCAY QUESTION

charmy98

10 hours ago, cropping cruiser said:

See my reply to orkaren1 above. As far as I could tell the footrest is permanent. You could try sitting on side above the tire and slide back. I would put a towel over the tire and then try to use it as a transfer sheet. Sorry I didn’t try one out. If your mom can walk a short distance I would do what I did. I asked security to let me park my scooter on Deck 1 (which they did), walked off got on tram (they come up to gangway), took tram to bungalows and then you can transfer to the beach wheelchairs or walk if close enough. Hardest part was walking on the sand to bungalow. All of my other post applies for your question too. 

If leaving a wheelchair or scooter on Deck 1, best procedure is to try not to leave immediately upon docking as it gets crazy down there so less likely they can accommodate you immediately and to ask Security don’t just leave it.

A place to park wheelchairs and scooters near the gangway is on our wish list at the Royal Caribbean Accessible Cruises group.

ANYONE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS AND/OR TRAVELS WITH SOMEONE WITH WITH SPECIAL NEEDS IS WELCOME. THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS AND THIS IS THE FIRST GROUP I HAVE FOUND THAT FULFILL THIS NEED. 

Thanks.  I've tried looking up pictures of beach wheelchairs at cococay, and have found pictues of different kinds that all claim to be the ones at cococay.  Some have less of a footrest, some have a bigger space between the footrest and the seat so you could step in that space and sit, some have longer armrests, etc.

We'll have to see when we get there.  I was hoping someone would have a rough estimated measure of how far the walk would be from the pavement when we got to chill island to the closest set of beach loungers.  That way, we could have my mom walk that distance to see if she would feel ok come cruise time.  As far as leaving her regular wheelchair, I thought maybe people just kinda left them in a certain spot like at Disney.  There always seems to be a collection of wheelchairs and strollers in undesignated spots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cropping cruiser said:

When I was there Chill Island was not open. However, we did have a beach bungalow in South Beach. Where we were was fairly close to where the team dropped you off. So I’m not really sure how different it will be. That being said, there was no paved place to park a wheelchair or scooter. You can take it on the tram and leave it at the check in. That was fairly packed down. I wouldn’t drive the chair except to take off tram. They had the beach wheelchairs right there at the check in. They best way would be to plan on transferring for the short walk to cabana and then transfer to a more seat. Since you have help and it sounds like he can transfer. There was a restroom nearby and it did have a handicap stall. Obviously, this isn’t the best way to do it but it may work for you. I would reach out to Special Needs and see if you can get more info. It’s difficult b/c they are not on site but worth the call. Also, our friends went directly to Guest Services as soon as we boarded to try to get the bungalow that would work best for me. I am still able to walk short distances so it helped to pick the bungalow. If your in a suite with the concierge you can also email them directly to make the reservation for you. We selected our lunches and they delivered them to the bungalow so once I was there I was fine. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the info. As soon as we board the ship I will check with guest services about cabana assignment.  I have already reached out to special needs but the only information they gave me was that "Coco Cay is not accessible".  Not too helpful.  I'm sure we will figure something out and make it a great day regardless.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Thank you for this link.

Thanks, that is a very informative review.  My husband will not be going into the water at all so I am not really concerned about that.  Hopefully we will be able to get one of the beach wheelchairs to get over the soft/sandy areas.  If not, we luckily have a couple of strong people who can get him into the cabana and he will probably stay there most of the day.  I just bought a portable mini fan that can clip onto his wheelchair to help  keep him cool.  

After our visit I plan on contacting RC to offer my opinion on possible improvements that could be made.  I think disabled persons pointing out improvements or suggestions might be able to make a change.

Thanks to my fellow CC posters for all rhe info.

So let me see if I have this right- As an avid swimmer, I'm thrilled that the pool has a chair lift.  But I will be unable to get to the pool because my manual w/c can't go through the sand. It appears that there are no paved walkways to reach the pool. Correct?

18 hours ago, cropping cruiser said:

The person who wrote the review is a member of the same RC Accessible Cruise Group that I am. So I have seen this before. Her assessment is fair review. However, I had a different experience with the driver I had on the accessible tram. He was very helpful and made sure all those with need got on before others jumped on and left no room for those who needed it. It’s not going to be a smooth ride b/c they are driving on sandy paths so if you have any concerns speak up to the driver. Royal has been responsive to the reviews this group has been giving them. I disagree with her about the beach mats, I would prefer to see some hardscape or boardwalk type walkways in the beach. The mats that are not that stable. In a perfect world Royal would have considered some if these issues ahead of time but it’s not perfect so they are doing the next best thing. Listening to our group, they have added more hardscape walkways and the more we request it by reviews, letters etc the better it will be. The reality is the beach us the hardest place to make accessible. I live in NJ and I cannot access any beach unless I make plans ahead of time to hopefully get one if the few beach wheelchairs that may be available depending upon which beach town you go to. And then it’s only available during the busy season. At this point in my life I only get to actually go on the beach and in the water in the Caribbean.  

Would you be able to share the name of the RC accessible cruise group you are in?  If you can't share it in this forum perhaps you can send it via PM.  I am interested in joining your group as I am sure it would offer some great insights for cruising with my husband's needs.

2 hours ago, orkaren1 said:

Would you be able to share the name of the RC accessible cruise group you are in?  If you can't share it in this forum perhaps you can send it via PM.  I am interested in joining your group as I am sure it would offer some great insights for cruising with my husband's needs.

I am not able to PM on this site. I tried posting the info for the group but it was removed. I used the name of the group in my post and it’s on another large platform. If your comfortable sharing an email with me or no how to message here I would be happy to share. I understand that it’s a competitor of CC but it’s not a roll call and deals with accessibility and special needs exclusively. As far as I know CC  doesn’t offer an equivalent. 

9 hours ago, cougar404 said:

Thanks to my fellow CC posters for all rhe info.

So let me see if I have this right- As an avid swimmer, I'm thrilled that the pool has a chair lift.  But I will be unable to get to the pool because my manual w/c can't go through the sand. It appears that there are no paved walkways to reach the pool. Correct?

No as far as I know that is not accurate. My understanding is that the pathway was extended to the pier for Oasis Lagoon. 

You could take the accessible tram with your manual chair and get out at the pool area. That area is all paved. Another option would be to use your manual chair till the end of the pier and transfer (if able) to a beach wheelchair. 

I will be there again November and planning on going to Oasis Lagoon so will have more info then. 

9 hours ago, orkaren1 said:

Thanks, that is a very informative review.  My husband will not be going into the water at all so I am not really concerned about that.  Hopefully we will be able to get one of the beach wheelchairs to get over the soft/sandy areas.  If not, we luckily have a couple of strong people who can get him into the cabana and he will probably stay there most of the day.  I just bought a portable mini fan that can clip onto his wheelchair to help  keep him cool.  

After our visit I plan on contacting RC to offer my opinion on possible improvements that could be made.  I think disabled persons pointing out improvements or suggestions might be able to make a change.

‘I think your plan is doable especially since you have help. I saw a lot of the beach wheelchairs available so you should be able to get one. Definitely give your feedback to Royal. They have shown a proven dedication to making it better. The more people who respond will allow them to see the need is there.

10 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Thanks.  I've tried looking up pictures of beach wheelchairs at cococay, and have found pictues of different kinds that all claim to be the ones at cococay.  Some have less of a footrest, some have a bigger space between the footrest and the seat so you could step in that space and sit, some have longer armrests, etc.

We'll have to see when we get there.  I was hoping someone would have a rough estimated measure of how far the walk would be from the pavement when we got to chill island to the closest set of beach loungers.  That way, we could have my mom walk that distance to see if she would feel ok come cruise time.  As far as leaving her regular wheelchair, I thought maybe people just kinda left them in a certain spot like at Disney.  There always seems to be a collection of wheelchairs and strollers in undesignated spots.

‘Did you see the photo I posted in an earlier post. They are the chairs I have seen at both Coco Cay and Labadee. 

I personally took that picture at the entrance to South Beach in May, 2019. I was on Adventure. Chill Island was not open then so I have no idea of the actual layout there. Can you reserve loungers there ? As for parking the wheelchairs or scooters this is something we have been asking for. If it’s a manual chair you could probably leave it at the check in to Chill Island. You could probably leave an electric one or scooter if you want to chance it. Accessibility is definitely a work in progress at Coco Cay. 

I know that @twangster was recently at Coco Cay a few different times and toured all parts of the island and took multiple pictures.  

Perhaps he can confirm if the route to the pool is paved (and where one finds that particular pathway), and I think he also had pictures of the group of beach wheelchairs.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I know that @twangster was recently at Coco Cay a few different times and toured all parts of the island and took multiple pictures.  

Perhaps he can confirm if the route to the pool is paved (and where one finds that particular pathway), and I think he also had pictures of the group of beach wheelchairs.  

That would really be good to know for sure. If I find out anymore info I’ll post. 

2 minutes ago, cropping cruiser said:

That would really be good to know for sure. If I find out anymore info I’ll post. 

Check out twangster's reviews of Empress B2B, "oops I booked it again" Empress, and Majesty.  Three different threads in the last month or so with a BUNCH of good information.  

2 hours ago, cropping cruiser said:

‘Did you see the photo I posted in an earlier post. They are the chairs I have seen at both Coco Cay and Labadee. 

I personally took that picture at the entrance to South Beach in May, 2019. I was on Adventure. Chill Island was not open then so I have no idea of the actual layout there. Can you reserve loungers there ? As for parking the wheelchairs or scooters this is something we have been asking for. If it’s a manual chair you could probably leave it at the check in to Chill Island. You could probably leave an electric one or scooter if you want to chance it. Accessibility is definitely a work in progress at Coco Cay. 

I saw that, but wasn't sure how recent it was.  There are a few things you can reserve on Chill Island.  The bungalows have not yet appeared for our cruise, but RC says they just haven't been added to the inventory yet.  My mom has a manual chair.  We'd like to leave it where it feels safe to.  Maybe other people will leave theirs somewhere and we can do the same.

When you look at a map of CocoCay a central feature is Harbor Lagoon.

N43V2As.jpg 

It is for the most part surrounded by a walkway that consists of pavers or bricks that is a hard surface.  To venture beyond this central "ring" you'll need a beach wheelchair.

In this picture you can see the beach wheelchairs that are provided as well as the hard surface walkway.

Kjkb790.jpg

To Cropping Cruiser-

Thank you for your reply.  Really interested in your report from your upcoming November cruise.

So, the question remains- can a manual wheelchair easily get from the pier to the pool and the accessible restroom via a paved walkway?

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone who visited Coco Cay in late 2019 or early 2020 know if a person can get from the ship to the Oasis pool on a paved path. I have a permanently broken foot and cannot walk on sand. I am traveling solo, so a beach wheelchair is not a solution. Thanks.