Drink vs dining package gratuities

Petoonya

My travel agent is Expedia for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Have a personal TA but she could not come close to Expedia's price.

Expedia is unable to answer a pricing question on gratuities for dining vs drink package for an Alaska cruise.

I have an inside under deposit and the grand total with a dining package is $2612.

If I want to switch to the drink package the total would be $2849. It lists drink gratuities as $277 within that quote.

Why are gratuities so high for the drink pkg? What is the value of open bar vs. 3 nites dining?

I KNOW that there is someone here who knows everything about this, and understands the difference between fares and the gratuities using different packages.

Cruisecritic and you are some of my best friends 🙂

Thanks!!!!

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Got it Rsavtechcruise!

It's exactly right!

Thanks very much 🙂

I guess we chose right. I doubt dh could down more than maybe 4 drinks/day and me not more than 3 max.

DH & I have figured that if we drink 4 "Adult beverages" (total between us) per day, we break-even on the package.

Even the "Daily Drink Specials" are $8.95 (plus 20%), as are some glasses of wine.  So generally speaking, we would actually spend more than daily cost of the package, because DH's drinks are usually closer to the $15 max per drink

(or paying the difference if more than $15).

*** Also, expect the local tax to be added to your on-board bill, until you are international waters!

Edited by ggTexasGal
no change

13 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

DH & I have figured that if we drink 4 "Adult beverages" (total between us) per day, we break-even on the package.

Even the "Daily Drink Specials" are $8.95 (plus 20%), as are some glasses of wine.  So generally speaking, we would actually spend more than daily cost of the package, because DH's drinks are usually closer to the $15 max per drink

(or paying the difference if more than $15).

*** Also, expect the local tax to be added to your on-board bill, until you are international waters!

I'm more confused about you being able to break even Texas.....sorry to be such a ninny 😞

If drinks run about $12 plus gratuity (around $15 total) then 8 drinks total between us would run $120 if my math is right. The drink package adds $277 to my cruise. Even if husband and I chose the most expensive drinks at $18 including gratuity we'd have to drink 15 drinks to break even. 

How do you break even? Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Petoonya

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I'm more confused about you being able to break even Texas.....sorry to be such a ninny 😞

If drinks run about $12 plus gratuity (around $15 total) then 8 drinks total between us would run $120 if my math is right. The drink package adds $277 to my cruise. Even if husband and I chose the most expensive drinks at $18 including gratuity we'd have to drink 15 drinks to break even. 

How do you break even? Thanks for all your help.

At $19.80 per person x 2 people, the drinks package costs $39.60 per day.  If I have 2 drinks per day, and DH has 2 per day, we usually have "spent" more than that $39.60 per day!  However, if we didn't drink an average of 4 beverages per day, at a cost of approximately $9 each, then NO, it would not be worth it!!!

We don't drink like that at home, but since it is our vacation (and someone else is "driving") we relax the rules and enjoy more, without having to "budget" those expenditures!

LoL, $277 at home, would be a several months worth of drinks for us!

1 minute ago, KarlChilders said:

The break even is between 2-3 drinks PER DAY. 

FINALLY. The ice in the dam of my brain has broken! I keep getting the "per person" and "per week"

garbled. I guess it may make good sense for us. I actually drink not more than 2 drinks a day but I down 5-6 diet cokes a day!

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S PATIENCE with me. I finally get it. Silly old lady I am.

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

What does diet coke run? If I drink 5 diet cokes plus 2 mixed drinks a day, and hubby has 4 mixed drinks a day.....does that sound like enough to get the package?

Yes....I guess we do need to switch.

Yes! Mixed drinks are $10+ with a few exceptions a dollar cheaper. Two drinks a day is a minimum of $24. The gratuity on the drink package is $19.80pppd. So if someone will drink at least two alcoholic drinks a day the free package is better. 

If you strictly drink beer it's 3 drinks per day. 

You both will save money taking the free package. 

29 minutes ago, inq said:

You mentioned Diet Coke as your drink of choice.  It is mine as well.  Norwegian carries Pepsi products if that helps you to decide.

Thanks Inq. I can do diet pepsi if that's what they have 🙂

34 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Yes! Mixed drinks are $10+ with a few exceptions a dollar cheaper. Two drinks a day is a minimum of $24. The gratuity on the drink package is $19.80pppd. So if someone will drink at least two alcoholic drinks a day the free package is better. 

If you strictly drink beer it's 3 drinks per day. 

You both will save money taking the free package. 

Thanks SmplyBcause. I finally get it! On the phone with them right now for the switch.

Thanks everyone 🙂

In addition to your soft drinks which would be $4.14 per drink incl. tax   you can order virgin drinks as well.  Pina colada, strawberry dacquri, and other yummy things.  So you might really come out ahaed with the package.  You can get pepsi in the dining room at each meal as well, so its all easily taken care of if you do at least 4 different drinks a day.

Oh well. Expedia had a $250 OBC promotion that I'll lose if I switch so it's a wash. Unfortunately this is a family cruise and the group did not make up their minds till over the weekend. Could have had all perks for pretty much same as I'm paying now if booked a week ago. Just the logistics of getting a big group together.

But don't cry for me Argentina- doing Tahiti/Hawaii cruise the month before- without the extended family!

Ohhhhhhh. Wait a minute. Now Expedia just says $50 of their promo will be dropped. So now we are getting the drink package!

Edited by Petoonya

6 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

In addition to your soft drinks which would be $4.14 per drink incl. tax   you can order virgin drinks as well.  Pina colada, strawberry dacquri, and other yummy things.  So you might really come out ahaed with the package.  You can get pepsi in the dining room at each meal as well, so its all easily taken care of if you do at least 4 different drinks a day.

Thank you Sauer-kraut! I hadn't even thought of that. Love virgin foo-foo drinks.

Thanks again everyone. You are the BEST!

47 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Oh well. Expedia had a $250 OBC promotion that I'll lose if I switch so it's a wash. Unfortunately this is a family cruise and the group did not make up their minds till over the weekend. Could have had all perks for pretty much same as I'm paying now if booked a week ago. Just the logistics of getting a big group together.

But don't cry for me Argentina- doing Tahiti/Hawaii cruise the month before- without the extended family!

Ohhhhhhh. Wait a minute. Now Expedia just says $50 of their promo will be dropped. So now we are getting the drink package!

Glad they fixed it, but you should have been able to switch which perk you choose no problem without having to reprice. I haven't used Expedia for cruises, but I know people (and me) that booked with NCL directly had no problem.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Thank you Sauer-kraut! I hadn't even thought of that. Love virgin foo-foo drinks.

Thanks again everyone. You are the BEST!

Holy mother of virgin foo-foo drink...... 

Do NOT miss the Virgin Mango Meltdown (http://nclrecipes.com/frontend/recipe/recipe_details/58

I'm not a big drinker but this just hits the spot 

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Glad they fixed it, but you should have been able to switch which perk you choose no problem without having to reprice. I haven't used Expedia for cruises, but I know people (and me) that booked with NCL directly had no problem.

I've never used Expedia for cruises either but Expedia was offering much more OBC than my TA could or any other agency. And NCL doesn't do OBC. The reprice was just because the drink package is more expensive- would have been the same booking with NCL. I checked with NCL. Expedia just offered more stuff.

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Holy mother of virgin foo-foo drink...... 

Do NOT miss the Virgin Mango Meltdown (http://nclrecipes.com/frontend/recipe/recipe_details/58

I'm not a big drinker but this just hits the spot 

Thank you for mentioning! I filed it with the rest of my reminders for this cruises. Thanks so much 🙂

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

The reprice was just because the drink package is more expensive- would have been the same booking with NCL. I checked with NCL

Ahh! I didn't think you were including that in the cost change. I book most with a TA for the reasons you mentioned, I'm just with ncl for a group where it wasn't my decision to book direct. 🤷🏻‍♀️ All my other cruises I always choose drink package so never had to change (drinking at least 2 drinks a day is a duh for me on vacation), but with the group I had a second choice and changed my mind after a while. 

13 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Ahh! I didn't think you were including that in the cost change. I book most with a TA for the reasons you mentioned, I'm just with ncl for a group where it wasn't my decision to book direct. 🤷🏻‍♀️ All my other cruises I always choose drink package so never had to change (drinking at least 2 drinks a day is a duh for me on vacation), but with the group I had a second choice and changed my mind after a while. 

NCL is new to me. We are Oceania regulars but this is a big family cruise and I'm certain NCL will especially please the kids more than Oceania!

Learning about the packages is a whole new ballgame for me. I wouldn't feel right taking up my regular TA's time asking her about them since I didn't book with her. I have two other cruises booked with her so maybe I should be bolder.

I heartily appreciate everyone here taking the time to educate me! And my husband is thrilled we have the drink package 😊

Edited by Petoonya

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

NCL is new to me. We are Oceania regulars but this is a big family cruise and I'm certain NCL will especially please the kids more than Oceania!

Learning about the packages is a whole new ballgame for me. I wouldn't feel right taking up my regular TA's time asking her about them since I didn't book with her. I have two other cruises booked with her so maybe I should be bolder.

I heartily appreciate everyone here taking the time to educate me! And my husband is thrilled we have the drink package 😊

One other great thing about the package is you can try something new without feeling like you have to finish it if you don't care for it.  

On 9/4/2019 at 6:14 PM, Petoonya said:

My travel agent is Expedia for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Have a personal TA but she could not come close to Expedia's price.

Expedia is unable to answer a pricing question on gratuities for dining vs drink package for an Alaska cruise.

I have an inside under deposit and the grand total with a dining package is $2612.

If I want to switch to the drink package the total would be $2849. It lists drink gratuities as $277 within that quote.

Why are gratuities so high for the drink pkg? What is the value of open bar vs. 3 nites dining?

I KNOW that there is someone here who knows everything about this, and understands the difference between fares and the gratuities using different packages.

Cruisecritic and you are some of my best friends 🙂

Thanks!!!!

The drink package is valued at about $100 per day so the service charge is about $20 per day per person. The value of the 3 day dining package is no more than $150 total so the total gratuities are about $30 , thus the differenc ein price.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, Petoonya said:

FINALLY. The ice in the dam of my brain has broken! I keep getting the "per person" and "per week"

garbled. I guess it may make good sense for us. I actually drink not more than 2 drinks a day but I down 5-6 diet cokes a day!

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S PATIENCE with me. I finally get it. Silly old lady I am.

You will not down ANY diet COKES on NCL.  They serve Pepsi products.