I'm not good at relaxing ... am I going to enjoy Azamara?

loveandcruises

Hello! My husband and I are going to the Caribbean on the Journey on November 30th. This is our first Azamara cruise -- we have sailed on Carnival, Holland America, Norwegian, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I am 59 and my husband is 61. We wanted to do something different this time and after all the mega ships, I wanted to try a smaller ship. But here's the thing ... on previous cruises, I'm that person who circles everything in the daily program and goes from A to B to C all day; and I'm up until 1AM every night going to the entertainment venues onboard after my husband goes to sleep. We were just in Bali last month and I planned the heck out of that vacation. Will I get bored on Azamara? I took a look at the shore excursions for our cruise and there aren't many at all, much less ones we are interested in. Do most of you get out in port and grab a cab for the beach? That's what we have always done in the Caribbean.

Also, here's a good problem to have: Between our travel agency and Azamara, we have nearly $600 in onboard credit. On any cruise line, this would go toward tips or toward specialty dining but now the gratuities are paid for, we're in a suite so the specialty dining is paid for, we don't need to purchase top shelf liquor, I don't need any baubles from the gift shop and like I said, the shore excursion choices leave a lot to be desired. Where do we spend this OBC?

Another question: Because this is an upscale line, would you say the guests are snooty because we are so down to earth!

Also, my daughters are really jealous that we are going without them. They are 21 and 25 and each has cruised around 35 times (they cruise together on their own now). If, in the future, they want to try Azamara, would they like it? They can't stand being with milennials and I think the young crew members would enjoy seeing guests their age.

Finally, my husband is a scuba diver. He will book 1 or 2 dive tours in advance of the cruise since, unlike other lines, Azamara does not offer diving shore excursions. Do any of you have any suggestions of where he should go? Our islands are Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, Nevis and St. Barts.

I know this turned out to be a lot of questions, so pick and choose ... or feel free to answer all. Thanks.

Some suggestions for your OBC: - 

- WiFi full Cruise package, utilising the discount you get from your Suite booking

- Chefs Table 

- Indonesian Rice Table

- Spa 

- Transfer to/from the airport

No, Azamara passengers are not on the least bit snooty, they’re very sociable and friendly.

There’s plenty to do on Azamara. Below are two examples of daily programmes from our last cruise - the shorter one is for a day in port and the longer one for a sea day.

I hope this is helpful. You may also want to have a look at the topic ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’.

EA7BDD3E-74BA-459F-9F78-ABAF35077FA8.jpeg

68BF5F66-7BDA-4EBB-AF93-204B63CA7325.jpeg

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

This is great, thank you! I already see things I would do.

As far as dinner is concerned, we've always been traditionalists on other ships with late seating every night. On Azamara, do you you just show up and get a table in the main dining room? If you wanted, could you ask for the same table at the same time every night?

Yes, you just turn up at the entry to Discoveries MDR, which is in the Discoveries Bar, and say you’d like a table. You can ask for a table for 2 or say you’d be happy to share a table if you like. If they haven’t a table available immediately, you can sit and have a drink and they’ll tell you as soon as a table is available. You can ask to sit at the same table, but you may not get exactly the same table, but could probably get one in the same area with the same wait staff.

We usually go to Discoveries bar at 7:15 - 7:30pm for a drink and aim to have a table by 7:45. We often opt to share a table - it’s a great way to get to know people, and with the ship being so small you’re bound to bump into the people from your table in the next day or two.

We took our daughters, 21 and 25, on AZ last summer. They were pretty happy on board, although there were only a handful of people on the ship their age.  However, they are used to this as we have sailed on HA where there are also few young people; in addition they love being with each other.  I do think they thought it was a little “sleepy” but they didn’t seem to mind

On 9/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, loveandcruises said:

... on previous cruises, I'm that person who circles everything in the daily program and goes from A to B to C all day; and I'm up until 1AM every night going to the entertainment venues onboard after my husband goes to sleep. We were just in Bali last month and I planned the heck out of that vacation. Will I get bored on Azamara?...

Some context...we have sailed all the cruiselines you have mentioned, and more, sailed on many of the mega ships....but we are good at relaxing, whilst also enjoying onboard entertainment. The first thing I need to say is, we have not yet sailed Azamara. The closest ship in size we have sailed is Crystal Serenity, and based on the personal profile you describe I believe you would have been 'bored' on that ship!

We are booked on your sailing, and the following cruise 7th December, and I have researched much on these boards...and received some great inputs from many. Based on that research, and your profile, I believe you will be bored.

For us, given the research completed, we are convinced Azamara will suit our style and cannot wait to get on board. We will be the couple, roughly your own ages, relaxing on the pool deck after spinning around each port...most likely with an Aperol Spritz or two to keep us company!

I would say it depends...

On your previous cruises were you going to activities mostly on sea days? Am I correct in thinking that you are on a very port intensive cruise with only one sea day? In that case, on the sea day spend your credits on a bunch of spa treatments and hit some exercise classes.

Are you a restless person looking for constant stimulation (perhaps better suited to a big ship) or an extrovert who uses the activities as an avenue to meeting new people? The smaller ship makes it easy to fall into conversation with new acquaintances. If you go go go while off ship in port, will you be looking to stay up really late and sleep in, or return to ship, have a leisurely dinner, go for after dinner drinks and a show, and then go to bed so you and your husband can get off the ship in the next port as it docks?

For me, there is a distinction. Only you know which way you are.

Positive Response:  Azamara passengers are anything but snooty.  They are the most friendly we have ever encountered, and we have sailed on many different lines.  Down to Earth and friendly.

Also positive:  You will find a way to spend your OBC.  Last resort:  Buy some bling and pawn it when you get home!

Negative:  Since you are an active, busy person, I do think you might be bored on AZ, unless you alter your approach to a cruise.  There really is not a lot going on  on board.  The big attractions are the ports and just hanging out with your fellow passengers.  Nothing like the many activities on bigger ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tv24 said:

Positive Response:  Azamara passengers are anything but snooty.  They are the most friendly we have ever encountered, and we have sailed on many different lines.  Down to Earth and friendly.

Also positive:  You will find a way to spend your OBC.  Last resort:  Buy some bling and pawn it when you get home!

Negative:  Since you are an active, busy person, I do think you might be bored on AZ, unless you alter your approach to a cruise.  There really is not a lot going on  on board.  The big attractions are the ports and just hanging out with your fellow passengers.  Nothing like the many activities on bigger ships.

We use our OBC to purchase Christmas or birthday gifts.

Regarding young adults on AZ -- only you know your kids and how well they do entertaining themselves.  Ours are 22 and 27, have cruised quite a bit on the larger ships which they love and would be bored out of their minds on AZ so we'd never choose AZ for a family trip.  Our last cruise with them was the Mediterranean on Viking Star, which is a larger ship with slightly more facilities (incredible, complimentary indoor spa area with snow room, hot tubs, steam room, resistance pool, etc. which they enjoyed).  It was a holiday week so we thought they'd end up meeting lots of others their age but there weren't that many and we ended up spending a lot of time playing games as a family at night.  Amazingly, we actually found Viking a bit quieter at night than AZ.  It was nice to spend time together but they were looking for more dancing, music and fun activities at night with others in their age group.  But it was a port-intensive cruise so we did a lot during the day.  Some AZ cruises are so port-intensive and they can go out in the port at night so that would make a difference, too.  And at the AZ price point, it's not a good value for us as a family, we choose Princess and NCL for our family trips, much more for everyone to do.