Boston: Airport to financial district FREE

erdoran

For those not in the know, if you fly into Logan Airport, the local public transportation runs the Silver Line which takes you into the Boston Financial District FREE.  I only know the South Station stop (I used to work a block from there) but there are other stops on the way.  There are other buses that stop at Logan as well that may also be free into downtown, worth checking out.  Even if they don’t stop exactly where you want, you still save $$ over taxi/uber from the airport because you can pick one up in town.

also Uber is about half the price of a taxi if you are going from the airport someplace....first time I flew in I didn’t know better and a taxi was about $45 to South Station; Uber ended up being about $25 (depends on time of day and traffic of course)...but then someone told me about Silver Line!

MBTA Silver Line is the only free option from the airport.  Doesn't quite take you to the Financial District, but not far away at South Station.  Other stops are in the South Boston Seaport District.  From South Station you can transfer for free to the Red Line and take that further into town or transfer onto any other MBTA subway (not commuter rail) lines.

MBTA Blue Line is $2.90 from the airport (shuttle bus at terminal to train) and that takes you well into Boston where you can also free transfer to the other subway lines

Whenever I fly in or out of Logan, I try to use the Silver Line.  As Nitemare pointed out, the Blue Line will also get you to and from the Airport.  However, you must research the accessibility of the stations with luggage and must choose your route carefully.  If you’re considering public transit with luggage, get advice about the stations.  The Green Line trolleys have newer cars with level access, but sometimes have older cars with several steps.

IMO splitting your trip between the free Silver Line from the airport to South Station and grabbing a cab or Uber there is a good money saving strategy.  South Station is completely accessible with elevators and escalators.

The Silver Line SL2 services Black Falcon Terminal.  Next weekend I will be taking the Red Line from Davis to South Station with an accessible transfer to the Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon.  It is also possible to take the Silver Line for free from Logan Airport to the World Trade Center INDOOR stop and use the elevators to transfer over the tracks to the outbound Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon.  This strategy can work well for any folks staying at “airport” hotels with a free shuttle to Logan.

To use the Silver Line you have to be able to lift your luggage up or down one step.  When boarding at the airport, use the rearmost door where there is more room and  more easily accessible luggage racks.