Porter bags

ocaladee

13 minutes ago, ocaladee said:

We purchased FTTF.  Should we still give our bags to the porter or just take them up to check in since they go to the room right away?

We always carry our bags on.   We take medium sized suitcases and they go through the scanner just fine.     We take 1 suitcase and 1 carryon per person.

You do not get your bags right away on the ship, whether FTTF, Platinum or Diamond.   It will take a few hours.

Up to you. We carry on everything and my wife uses a huge 30 or 32 inch spinner. Here is a thread about that topic.

Here is the blob from the website:

Each checked bag and carry-on bag should not weigh more than 50 pounds and, when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high, by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor)

Edited by five.
  • Like 1

Also, should have mentioned pushy porters. Follow the rules and measure your suitcases prior. But if you know you're in the clear, then you may have to dissuade a porter from forcing the bag from your hand, I've had them try that multiple times, especially in Miami. And we usually have sodas or wine in our bags, so they aren't allowed to be checked and have to be carried on.

I have never encountered a pushy porter. Once back when you could carry water on, when I pulled up to the baggage stand. the porter took our luggage but also took our water and soda-put a tag on them. I told him we had to carry those on, He told us he would take care of them and them were at our cabin door a few hours later. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coevan said:

We have never had this happen to us on any cruise. Sometimes we are trying to find a porter to help us. 

Someone who wants to check their luggage naturally would not have an issue of someone trying to take their luggage that they weren't keeping anyway.  Only those trying to keep their luggage would have this issue.

OP - I have carried all luggage before with FTTF, but would only do this with one extra bag between the two of us.  While it isn't an issue boarding or once on the ship since you can go to your cabin right away, it can get crowded in the terminal.  I have had luggage delayed for no reason (still tagged and nothing prohibited, but was still in the "naughty" area with no explanation), so I understand the appeal of having all my luggage together.  We should be arriving late enough on our next cruise that the cabin would be ready, but we still plan to check our large bag.

14 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

OMG... a first in months...  the folks here are actually answering the op's question without digressing.

LOL....you just 'digressed' though!! 

OP, I would most definitely not push around my bags on board on embarkation day....way too crowded.  For sure I would hand them over to the porters.  If anything,  and you are asking because you want specific things immediately instead of waiting for the luggage to be delivered later (like bathing suits right away etc), then I recommend giving the bigger bags to the porters and packing 'immediate' needs in a carry on and take the smaller carry on bag with you on board.  Just a suggestion......