walking Rafael Melgar Ave SAFETY?

englander

We want to walk the Rafael Melgar Avenue from cruise ship towards the airport where I understand there are some WWII planes on display in front of their Air Base. IS IT SAFE?

Also thought about using taxi/uber to go there and walk back.  

2 hours ago, englander said:

We want to walk the Rafael Melgar Avenue from cruise ship towards the airport where I understand there are some WWII planes on display in front of their Air Base. IS IT SAFE?

Also thought about using taxi/uber to go there and walk back.  

Perfectly safe but depends which dock you are at as to how far it is.

walk ocean side to avoid the vendors trying to get you into their shops every 5 seconds and admire the statues instead.

http://cozumel-mexico-vacation.com/public_art/

BUt cross the road for the town square.

Edited by c-leg5

I agree, perfectly safe, except...watch the traffic when you cross.  Personally I’m glad I don’t drive there but we’ve walked it many times.  Most drivers are very pedestrian friendly and Monday we were in a cab there and I noticed several Police vehicles along the route.  Just use your common sense and you’ll be fine.

Hi. Newbie here and Cozumel resident.  Yes! Walking anywhere in town during the day is safe, especially along Avenida Rafael Melgar. I walk my dog up and down Avenida Melgar well after sunset. However, please use common sense. Please don't carry a large shoulder bag or purse that does not have a strap - so you can wear it across your chest. Like tourist areas anywhere in the world, petty theft and purse snatchings are always a possibility. Don't carry your purse on the side closest to the street, so if someone decides to come along on a moped or motorcycle it would be difficult to snatch.  Oh, and by the way, don't limit yourself to the stores along Melgar, it's perfectly safe to walk 2-4 blocks off of Melgar. I used to work on one of the cruise lines coming here - so don't believe that you have to stay on the malecon (avenue along the water). It's simply not true and is used as a way to "encourage" you to shop at the larger non-locally owned stores that have agreements with the cruise lines. There are many, many locally owned stores that would love to see you.  ☺️

Edited by JennyLovesCozumel