Book Guarantee or Assigned Cabin?

rass2008

Hubby and I are sneaking away for a weekend without kids. I know there are lots of upgrade/sell posts, but my question is slightly different. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience around booking a guarantee OV or assigned OV if we hope to receive an upsell offer for a suite (no balcony cabins on Inspiration unless suite). Would be happy with OV but would entertain an offer if it was provided and would like to set myself up for the most options. Thanks in advance :) 

With the most recent cruise I booked (departs in 6 days, eeekk), I booked a guarantee and received zero upsell offers until after my cabin was assigned, which luckily was 7 weeks out from sailing.  Not sure if this is the "rule of thumb" so to speak, but if it is, and you don't get your room assignment until a few days out from sailing, it could dramatically reduce the chances of you receiving an upsell offer.  

We sail on the Breeze on Nov. 2nd, booked late and all that was left was balcony guarantees, still waiting for a cabin assignment.  We did get some upgrade offers to a suite, the cost to upgrade was more than we paid for the cruise!  I really like to pick my own cabin, concerned that we'll be above a night club or below the pool.  Hope we get a cabin before we get to the port.

I'm all about saving a little money and book guarantees quite often.  To our surprise we usually get upgraded (not really) in the same category. We have never been disappointed with the cabin they choose.  The only drew back for us is cabin not getting assigned till right before sailing.  Not always but sometimes.  Especially OV,  They are really for the most part all the same

On 9/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, rass2008 said:

Hubby and I are sneaking away for a weekend without kids. I know there are lots of upgrade/sell posts, but my question is slightly different. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience around booking a guarantee OV or assigned OV if we hope to receive an upsell offer for a suite (no balcony cabins on Inspiration unless suite). Would be happy with OV but would entertain an offer if it was provided and would like to set myself up for the most options. Thanks in advance 🙂

Guarantee ONLY> By accident my TA did not book our selected cabin and it ended up it a terrible location.

15 hours ago, pirateg11 said:

With the most recent cruise I booked (departs in 6 days, eeekk), I booked a guarantee and received zero upsell offers until after my cabin was assigned, which luckily was 7 weeks out from sailing.  Not sure if this is the "rule of thumb" so to speak, but if it is, and you don't get your room assignment until a few days out from sailing, it could dramatically reduce the chances of you receiving an upsell offer.  

You are unlikely to get an "upsell" offer with a guarantee until you are assigned since they can put you into any unsold stateroom in your category up til boarding 

Yeah, it sounds like it all comes down to money and what you will accept for a cabin.  I have never booked a guarenteed room...I always like to choose my cabin so I am pretty close to elevators and I prefer to have cabins above and below, rather than be below the pool area or a late night public area.