Blue Iguana

mama_2_boys

"Life with Favor" has many videos on you tube about cruising gluten free on Carnival.  As I recall on her Carnival Legend, Alaska vlogs, she made a few trips to the Blue Iguana and showed what her gluten free options were.  She also talks about how she visits the main dining room on the daily to plan her evening meal.  It appeared that Carnival was extremely accommodating. 

22 minutes ago, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

"Life with Favor" has many videos on you tube about cruising gluten free on Carnival.  As I recall on her Carnival Legend, Alaska vlogs, she made a few trips to the Blue Iguana and showed what her gluten free options were.  She also talks about how she visits the main dining room on the daily to plan her evening meal.  It appeared that Carnival was extremely accommodating. 

It should be noted that food service providers can and do change over time as well as items being purchased subject to availability. It can be gluten free this week but the following week, maybe not so lucky. It’s easier to find alternatives for land restaurants than ordering something for a ship and trying to have it delivered precisely at the right moment.

Edited by xDisconnections

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

It should be noted that food service providers can and do change overtime as well as items being purchased subject to availability. It can be gluten free this week but maybe the following week, maybe not so lucky. It’s easier to find alternatives for land restaurants than ordering something for a ship and trying to have it delivered precisely at the right moment.

Agreed - and why I also added the commentary about how she personally visits the MDR daily.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:04 PM, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

Thank you, I'll check this out. 

I'm very cautious about eating out and will be asking many questions once I'm on board. I was hoping to get some ideas of what I'd be able to eat though.

18 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I'm getting extra shrimp taco!

Pork & Chicken taco's were good as well.

Only the Pork,Chicken and fish were shown for the taco's...

Did not try the fish.

You have to ask for Shrimp, extra Shrimp!!

Plenty of fixins and various sauces. If something is out, ask them they will bring it right out.

Watermelon is right there at the fixins bar also.

My wife loves watermelon so the reason I had so Many taco's.

You want more watermelon dear....

I got yelled at from someone on the Burrito side I was cutting the line while getting my taco's...

I just smiled, there are 2 lines.

They also have the tortilla bowls to fill with goodies.....on the Burrito side.

Enjoy.

On 9/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, mama_2_boys said:

Is any of the food at Blue Iguana gluten free? 

You may want to contact the special needs department prior to your cruise so they will have a "head's up".  I don't know if the sauces they put on the meats are gluten free; I try to stick to my keto diet while cruising, but it can be sneaky.  Since I am doing it as a choice I don't worry about it too much if a little grain slips in.  I get the taco salad at Blue Iguana and don't eat the bowl. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I would check with special needs to be sure.  Most of the items at the toppings area (watermelon, cheese, sour cream, sauces, etc) should be GF but it is a self serve area so may have cross contamination from other passengers.  The eggs for huevos rancheros are made to order so should also be safe, but are prepared in the same area as flour tortillas so again could have slight contamination.

The corn, beans, avocado, etc at the burrito area should be safe but again have a risk of cross contamination.  The meats might be ok, but might also have gluten in their seasonings (many taco mixes do).

If you are looking for mostly GF there are lots of tasty options, but truly GF might be difficult to find (although I would have the same concern anywhere on lido deck).