Transportation from SFB to Port Canaveral

DreneeH

We will be flying into SFB.  What is the easiest and least expensive way to get to the port?  I've researched just renting a car (there will be 4 of us) and dropping it off but I'm not finding information if the car rental drop-off will have a shuttle to the port itself.  Any tips or advice would be great.

all the rental places at or near the port have shuttle service to the terminals

National Alamo Enterprise Hertz Budget Dollar Thrifty Avis

location you want is either Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach ..... for some 'port canaveral' is not a location as it is a business, not a town

59 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

all the rental places at or near the port have shuttle service to the terminals

National Alamo Enterprise Hertz Budget Dollar Thrifty Avis

location you want is either Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach ..... for some 'port canaveral' is not a location as it is a business, not a town

As a business location, it is a cruise, cargo, and naval port.  But in terms of car rental locations, National, for one, does list Port Canaveral as one of it's locations.  There may be others as well.

For a group of four, a rental car will be the most economical. Picking up a rental at SFB is easy and it's an easy drive, but  returning the car, or getting one at Port Canaveral, is not so easy.The drawback I found in renting is that there can be a crowd and long line at the rental agency in Port Canaveral, especially if it's turnaround day for more than one cruise ship, because of the number of people waiting to rent cars that the agency is still waiting for other renters to return. The rental agencies have shuttles to the terminals. Again, there can be a wait if several ships are embarking on the same day.

For one or two people, Uber is about the same price as a rental car. For four, you'd probably need Uber XL, which might cost a bit more. In my experience, Uber is more convenient than a rental car if you are only going between the airport and the cruise port, and I imagine that Lyft would be comparable. When I have rented a car, it was because I was arriving early and wanted the car prior to embarkation day.

The major airport shuttles, Cortrans and Cocoa Beach Shuttle, pick up from SFB by appointment but you would need to call them to check the price. It could work out well for four. It doesn't for one.

9 hours ago, kochleffel said:

For a group of four, a rental car will be the most economical. Picking up a rental at SFB is easy and it's an easy drive, but  returning the car, or getting one at Port Canaveral, is not so easy.The drawback I found in renting is that there can be a crowd and long line at the rental agency in Port Canaveral, especially if it's turnaround day for more than one cruise ship, because of the number of people waiting to rent cars that the agency is still waiting for other renters to return. The rental agencies have shuttles to the terminals. Again, there can be a wait if several ships are embarking on the same day.

For one or two people, Uber is about the same price as a rental car. For four, you'd probably need Uber XL, which might cost a bit more. In my experience, Uber is more convenient than a rental car if you are only going between the airport and the cruise port, and I imagine that Lyft would be comparable. When I have rented a car, it was because I was arriving early and wanted the car prior to embarkation day.

The major airport shuttles, Cortrans and Cocoa Beach Shuttle, pick up from SFB by appointment but you would need to call them to check the price. It could work out well for four. It doesn't for one.

A couple of other things to consider regarding Uber v a rental:

1.  Uber will be much more convenient in that they will typically arrive within a few minutes of scheduling at the baggage claim area to pick you - and your luggage - up.  With any rental you would likely have to first shuttle with your luggage to the rental area pick up your vehicle, which adds time and hassle.

2.  The same will be the case on the return (I assume the OP will need to get to an airport after the cruise) with the added benefit that Uber can be scheduled for a pick up at the port in advance - such as with your initial drop off - which adds to the convenience v a rental for the return. (This feature is only available port to airport, not airport to port).

As to the cost comparison, while UberX may be somewhat pricier, the convenience IMO far outweighs any premium in price.  I wold also think any airport shuttle would also be tied to other passengers, which IMO is not nearly as convenient.

We have used Uber/ UberX a number of times between FLL and the Port of Miami as well as MIA and Port Everglades (which are distances similar to MCO/SFB and Port Canaveral) with very good success.  It is our preference with these situations - one which we will be doing again this December from MIA to Port Everglades and back.

Edited by leaveitallbehind