Booking on hurtigruten.no

LinnieRed

10 hours ago, QShip said:

You are absolutely correct, but it did give me a chance to learn about VPN's, so all was not lost.  Have tried a lot of translate add-ons, but none allow me to get around the .no impeding the later pages in their site.

I made my booking on the untranslated page due to the same issues. It all worked out fine.

Here’s my 2 cents on US vs NO pricing

Thanks to this board I learned about the price differences.   I asked my Hurtigruten representative (I believe based in Seattle) if there was another website I could book through due to the higher US prices.  I received an immediate response advising I would be given a “Currency adjustment” and my US price dropped 25%.   Traveling with a friend who had already booked at the US rate.  She called her hurtigruten agent and was granted the same currency adjustment.   I believe it never hurts to ask for a discount if We believe pricing for something is high. Not sure if the NO pricing is less than 25%, but we were very happy with their response.  

I also spoke with our TA who we book mainstream cruises with, as she provides great on board credits that are fully refundable if not used by cruise end.  She advised she could not deviate from US pricing, so we booked direct with hurtigruten.   

love these boards, learn so much from everyone!

• 1 month later...

Hi all

We have booked our 12 night Coastal on Nordkapp later this year directly via the .no site.

Google translate was our best friend!  We could not get through on the phone or online chat - it was the day they opened up the new MS Nansen showcase voyages - and in the end I put a message on their Facebook page and they called us.  We chose our cabin and have been given Select package.  We paid a deposit.

We did ask why the big price difference and were given two reasons - firstly, the currency exchange rates were set over a year a go and that gives a big advantage booking in NKR.  Also, when selling via the .no site it assumes you are travelling on a working ship and uses their set point to point fares that are less for the Norwegians!

Roll on November!!

Karen

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, Drumbeat16 said:

I booked a port to port trip on Hurtigruten.no last year with the aid of Google translate. E-mails from them were in English and Norwegian, I did need to phone them when I made the final payment and they were extremely helpful. I'll definitely be booking through the Norwegian site for our next trip (we're in Australia and the price difference was well worth it).

Hi Drumbeat, which cruise did you end up with amd approx how much was the saving?

We had to cancel our dream holiday including a Norway cruise to Midnight Sun due the the Covid, and are thinking of booking Hurtigruten for 2021, as i was less than impressed with the help from HAL during this crisis.

Our dollar has slumped somewhat so getting the same product for same price will not be possible, so any savings are welcome!

6 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Hi Drumbeat, which cruise did you end up with amd approx how much was the saving?

We had to cancel our dream holiday including a Norway cruise to Midnight Sun due the the Covid, and are thinking of booking Hurtigruten for 2021, as i was less than impressed with the help from HAL during this crisis.

Our dollar has slumped somewhat so getting the same product for same price will not be possible, so any savings are welcome!

Hi, we travelled from Alesund to Tromso in an Arctic Superior cabin on the MS Nordnorge (3 nights at the beginning of September). I can't remember what the saving was but the cost was NOK 9388 each. We didn't book until June so didn't get any extra discounts.

We were very comfortable and we particularly like the attempt by Hurtigruten to lessen their environmental impact. We'd definitely take another trip with them.

To be honest seeing numerous huge cruise ships in place such as the Geiranger fjord was quite disturbing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

thinking of booking Hurtigruten for 2021

Just note that there will be two different operators at the Coastal Voyage from January 2021 - Hurtigruten and Havila Kystruten. All ships from both companies will be LNG / Hybrid with electrical propulsion in the heritage fjords.

In addition Hurtigruten will start 12 days Coastal expedition cruises from Bergen to Honningsvåg with two ships - longer stops in the ports (Also different ports) than  for the traditional coastal voyage. 

14 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Just note that there will be two different operators at the Coastal Voyage from January 2021 - Hurtigruten and Havila Kystruten. All ships from both companies will be LNG / Hybrid with electrical propulsion in the heritage fjords.

In addition Hurtigruten will start 12 days Coastal expedition cruises from Bergen to Honningsvåg with two ships - longer stops in the ports (Also different ports) than  for the traditional coastal voyage. 

Thanks for that. Is there a special ship or name name of trip I should look out for?

Or , as long as I pick 12 days return we will get the longer days in Port?

That was one of the reasons I originally decided against Hurtigruten for 2020 I wanted longer in ports

The 12 day coastal expeditions (the traditional coastal voyage is also 12 days - return) will be on the MS Otto Sverdrup or MS Eirik Raude.  Depending on time of year the expeditions (on US website) are named Magic of Arctic Winter, On the Cusp of Spring, Summer Along Coastline.

The routes of the classic voyages and expeditions are not identical, but there is a lot of similarities.  One of the differences is the expedition does not go to Kirkenes.  Also the expeditions as noted by OP there are longer port stops with excursions included in price of cruise.  The sailing is more of a mainline cruise,  beverages are included with meals, cruisers get a jacket, there is an expedition team etc...

The Sverdrup is the newly refurbished (old name) Finnmaken - looks great.  

The website has extensive info about the expedition sailings.  Depending on category and dates I checked - there was about a $600 higher price (per person)  for expedition vs classic.

We looked at both the traditional and the expedition when considering options for our cancelled traditional coastal voyage.

Hope this helps.  Happy travels!

We have a 12 day BKB scheduled for late Sept, booked through Hurtigruden.no.  Have not, of course, heard anything about whether it will go or not, but curious if there is any difference in the Hurtigruden offers between the .no site and other sites?

3 hours ago, QShip said:

curious if there is any difference in the Hurtigruden offers between the .no site and other sites?

Same itineraries on all web but there might be different packages like flights and/or hotels and excursions included. Also some themed voyages (astronomy or photo) are not offered at all webs - at the .no site you can also find ‘havn til havn’  (port to port) where you can chose parts of the voyage from specific ports.

So far Hurtigruten does expect to be back at normal schedule for Coastal voyages May 21

Edited by hallasm

18 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Same itineraries on all web but there might be different packages like flights and/or hotels and excursions included. Also some themed voyages (astronomy or photo) are not offered at all webs - at the .no site you can also find ‘havn til havn’  (port to port) where you can chose parts of the voyage from specific ports.

So far Hurtigruten does expect to be back at normal schedule for Coastal voyages May 21

Thanks, Hallasm.  It is obvious I did not make myself very clear.  What I am interested in is whether Hurtigruden is making the same cancellation offers to those who booked on .no to those who used other sites  such as .com to arrange their cruises.

20 hours ago, Homerody said:

The 12 day coastal expeditions (the traditional coastal voyage is also 12 days - return) will be on the MS Otto Sverdrup or MS Eirik Raude.  Depending on time of year the expeditions (on US website) are named Magic of Arctic Winter, On the Cusp of Spring, Summer Along Coastline.

The routes of the classic voyages and expeditions are not identical, but there is a lot of similarities.  One of the differences is the expedition does not go to Kirkenes.  Also the expeditions as noted by OP there are longer port stops with excursions included in price of cruise.  The sailing is more of a mainline cruise,  beverages are included with meals, cruisers get a jacket, there is an expedition team etc...

The Sverdrup is the newly refurbished (old name) Finnmaken - looks great.  

The website has extensive info about the expedition sailings.  Depending on category and dates I checked - there was about a $600 higher price (per person)  for expedition vs classic.

We looked at both the traditional and the expedition when considering options for our cancelled traditional coastal voyage.

Hope this helps.  Happy travels!

Much appreciated,  the expedition sounds like the go for us!

I had a tour by Blue Puffin to the North Cape in Honnigsvag I had paid for and got a credit so I will have to check if a similar one isincluded.  I usually like to give the business to the local companies. 

We ultimately decided  to stick with the traditional coastal sailing on a smaller ship.

The coastal expedition is very enticing and with the inclusions (such as shore excursions) may even be a better value.

Edited by Homerody
User error.

7 hours ago, Homerody said:

We ultimately decided  to stick with the traditional coastal sailing on a smaller ship.

The coastal expedition is very enticing and with the inclusions (such as shore excursions) may even be a better value.

March '19 we did the RT coastal on the Midnatsol (100 pax) and just adored it. 

IMG_6772 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6740 - Edited (1).jpg

IMG_6693 - Edited.jpg

@clo thanks for sharing the photos and your insight.

We went back and forth between the expedition and coastal voyage.  Ultimately, what swayed us is the smaller ship and the "uncruise" notion of the coastal sailing.  And the fact that we've done all the research to explore the longer port calls on our own.  So I'll put all the stuff away for a few months, and then voila ... a pre-planned trip is on hand.  I just have to rebook our DIY pre and post sailing city stays.  All in due course, I remind myself.

1 hour ago, clo said:

on the Midnatsol (100 pax) and just adored it. 

In fact Midnatsol and Trollfjord are the biggest ships in the Hurtigruten fleet with round 630 beds - Otto Sverdrup and Eirik Raude does have in the order of 530 beds - Vesterålen with 300 beds is the smallest ship in the current fleet.

7 minutes ago, hallasm said:

In fact Midnatsol and Trollfjord are the biggest ships in the Hurtigruten fleet with round 630 beds - Otto Sverdrup and Eirik Raude does have in the order of 530 beds - Vesterålen with 300 beds is the smallest ship in the current fleet.

Oh toot. Senior moment! We did Midnatsol to Antarctica in '18, Lofoten last year. This is her last season so we'll likely miss it even if she sails in the fall. And I don't like that part of the world in summer or winter. The light or lack thereof is disconcerting.

44 minutes ago, Homerody said:

I just have to rebook our DIY pre and post sailing city stays. 

Our cruise got canceled fairly far along in the process. Originally we were flying into Oslo, then the supposedly incredible train to Bergen, from Bergen the cruise to Kirkenes and we would have flown to Paris. I actually had SIXTEEN components. It wasn't great fun putting it all together, making sure I didn't screw up. It was hell taking it apart .

13 minutes ago, clo said:

This is her last season so we'll likely miss it even if she sails in the fall. And I don't like that part of the world in summer or winter

She will be in service at the coastal voyage through 2020 (once sailings are resumed after Covid-19)

Just now, hallasm said:

She will be in service at the coastal voyage through 2020 (once sailings are resumed after Covid-19)

We're not going to cruise until/unless there's a vaccine and IMO that's a couple of years out at least.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, hallasm said:

Do you know where I can find out more on Havila?

I have tried numerous searches but not getting much detail, including photos of cheaper cabins with size. Also no prices. 

I am thinking it might be too early yet. 

I was so looking forward to my trip on New Statendam I had to cancel, and do love a balcony and a bit of private space, but I think the Hurtigruten Arctic superior are too expensive for us,  sadly.

6 hours ago, Homerody said:

@clo thanks for sharing the photos and your insight.

We went back and forth between the expedition and coastal voyage.  Ultimately, what swayed us is the smaller ship and the "uncruise" notion of the coastal sailing.  And the fact that we've done all the research to explore the longer port calls on our own.  So I'll put all the stuff away for a few months, and then voila ... a pre-planned trip is on hand.  I just have to rebook our DIY pre and post sailing city stays.  All in due course, I remind myself.

Which of the ports would have the longer stay?  And did you pre book excursions with local companies?

I think the price difference is substantial.

I had done so much research and paid for excursions but since I am thinking of Hirtigruten instead now, its back to the drawing board.

Am hoping for vaacine by mid 2021,  and our borders will be shut until at least the end of 2020 I hear,

7 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Do you know where I can find out more on Havila?

No details on cabins and prices yet - they will start operation with four ships January 1st - two new build ships and two olders ships due to a delay of new buildings.  S

ame itinerary and timing as Hurtigruten.

Link to Havila web

4 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

And did you pre book excursions with local companies?

In general very small ports with limited local tour companies.

4 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Which of the ports would have the longer stay?

I do not have the exact timing - but probably most of the day or half day.

Dag 1 Bergen
Dag 2 Ålesund
Dag 3 Brønnøysund
Dag 4 Stokmarknes og Risøyhamn
Dag 5 Tromsø
Dag 6 Honningsvåg
Dag 7 Havnnes
Dag 8 Svolvær og Reine
Dag 9 Træna
Dag 10 Trondheim
Dag 11 Hjørundfjord
    Dag 12 Bergen