Can Princess ships' Medical Centers do routine blood tests if guest has lab order?

cj02

26 minutes ago, boone2 said:

Just to clarify. I worked for Princess medical department  which covers the medical departments of the carnival group I.e. Princess,Hal, Seabourn and P&O.   My main focus was in one of these fleets although I have also worked on one of the other The policies and procedures are across the carnival fleet and staff are often interchangeable in the medical departments.  I wanted  to answer a question and gave the same reply as the OP obtained from Princess. I was just trying to helpful and don’t understand the tone of two of the replies -   ah well  what can you do when someone  chooses takes offence - behind the keyboard 

What does behind the keyboard mean? Aren't you there too?  Why does that have anything to do with the discussion? 

Anybody can be whoever they want to be on the internet.  So being behind the keyboard does not give you anymore validation then anyone else.   😉

I am glad the OP figured it out.

3 hours ago, boone2 said:

Just to clarify. I worked for Princess medical department  which covers the medical departments of the carnival group I.e. Princess,Hal, Seabourn and P&O.   My main focus was in one of these fleets although I have also worked on one of the other The policies and procedures are across the carnival fleet and staff are often interchangeable in the medical departments.  I wanted  to answer a question and gave the same reply as the OP obtained from Princess. I was just trying to helpful and don’t understand the tone of two of the replies -   ah well  what can you do when someone  chooses takes offence - behind the keyboard 

Thank you for your valuable input!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, famski740 said:

I received medical care onboard after developing a sinus infection and clogged ears while on a Caribbean cruise. 

When I got home I had to submit my claim to Medicare who denied it because the ship was not registered in the US, I then had to submit my claim to Tricare for Life (secondary insurance) who alsop denied it for the same reason.  I then submitted my claim to my Travel Insurance along with both deniles and they paid the claim in full.

I suspect it was denied because you were not in USA waters when you had the visit. Medicare does not cover any medical expenses outside the USA. There have been posts where onboard medical expenses were covered while a Princess ship was in Alaska waters.

14 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I am a retired physician.  I self diagnosed a problem which I knew would require medical intervention (I&D of an abscess).  I waited until the appropriate time, saw the on board physician, who provided excellent care and had the bill added to my shipboard account.  When I returned home I submitted the charges to my Medicare advantage plan so I could then send the denial to my travel policy.  Instead the plan covered everything except a small amount equivalent to the copay I would have paid for the same procedure at home.  This occurred in the waters off Norway.   Every insurance plan may vary but let’s not make blanket statements as to how things will be handled.  In this case I was pleasantly surprised.

Many Medicare Advantage Plans cover emergency treatment when it happens outside the USA.

16 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I am a retired physician.  I self diagnosed a problem which I knew would require medical intervention (I&D of an abscess).  I waited until the appropriate time, saw the on board physician, who provided excellent care and had the bill added to my shipboard account.  When I returned home I submitted the charges to my Medicare advantage plan so I could then send the denial to my travel policy.  Instead the plan covered everything except a small amount equivalent to the copay I would have paid for the same procedure at home.  This occurred in the waters off Norway.   Every insurance plan may vary but let’s not make blanket statements as to how things will be handled.  In this case I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree I have had to use the medical center twice one was for pink, one was a more serious matter. Both times when I got home my medical insurance reimbursed me,

When I got the denials from Medicare and TriCare for Life, they both specifically said:

"Services provided aboard a ship are covered only when the ship is of United States registry and is in United States waters.  In addition, the services must be provided by a doctor licensed to practice in the United States.ship must be registered in the United States."

This was in 2015.  Things may have changed.

10 hours ago, famski740 said:

When I got the denials from Medicare and TriCare for Life, they both specifically said:

"Services provided aboard a ship are covered only when the ship is of United States registry and is in United States waters.  In addition, the services must be provided by a doctor licensed to practice in the United States.ship must be registered in the United States."

This was in 2015.  Things may have changed.

That would cover only one cruise ship in the entire world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why don’t you purchase a CoaguCheck INR monitor.

Similar to blood glucose monitor and strips except that the test strips are more expensive. You can travel AND keep a check on your INR.

As long as you’re comfortable and competent with record keeping the results and working out the Warfarin (or similar) doses.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 9:44 AM, boone2 said:

Thank you for your comments 

there is an ICU on board and most basic lab tests can be performed. In fact some more than the ER I worked in here at home 

most ICU drugs are supplied and patients can be intubated if needed. Surgery is not done on board.  There is basic X-ray but any further diagnostic imaging is sent to medical facility ashore as are urgent consultations 

Of course you don’t need to believe any of this because it’s on the internet😜

According to the MD the time my FIL spent a chunk of time in the medical center, very *minor* procedures can be done, nothing that requires anesthesia. As another poster stated, incision and drainages, and suturing can be done, but if you break your femur, you're gonna be evacuated to the nearest hospital.

I'm an operating nurse room nurse (for 30+ years), so I asked lots of questions while we were hanging out with the FIL--who was 89 and had a UTI. I was also pretty impressed with how much equipment they had. The morgue was used for storage until it was otherwise needed. . .

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 6:09 AM, denmarks said:

I doubt that they would have the equipment to analyze the blood. That would cost a fortune.

CoaguCheck machines can check your INR. Similar to blood sugar checks but machine and strips are more expensive.

On 9/18/2019 at 3:58 AM, cj02 said:

My friend who will be cruising with us occasionally needs to have a routine blood test done (Prothrombin Time / INR) while traveling.

Can the Princess onboard Medical Centers do blood tests for INR when the guest provides a doctor's lab order?

Thanks for your help!

CJ

On 9/18/2019 at 3:58 AM, cj02 said:

My friend who will be cruising with us occasionally needs to have a routine blood test done (Prothrombin Time / INR) while traveling.

Can the Princess onboard Medical Centers do blood tests for INR when the guest provides a doctor's lab order?

Thanks for your 

Edited by heddyjan
hy don’t you purchase a CoaguCheck INR monitor. Similar to blood glucose monitor and strips except that the test strips are more expensive. You can travel AND keep a check on your INR. As long as you’re comfortable and competent with record keeping the re