Tahiti WiFi vs Verizon travel pass

salmn

We will be doing the Wind Spirit Twice the Tahiti, so will be in FP for 20 days.  Will need to check emails, send texts, and phone calls only in emergency.  Trying to decide whether to use Verizon Travel Pass at $10/day, only charged on days used, or whether to get Tahiti WiFi router. The wifi is 78 Euros for unlimited basic, 158 for unlimited starter, and 120 for 10 GB. There is a 5% discount available.

Has anyone out there used the Verizon Travel Pass in FP?  Understandably, only can use in port. Those that have purchased the Tahiti WiFi, would the 10GB be enough for 20 days, checking emails daily and web use for staying current on news, etc., no streaming, or would we need one of the unlimited packages?

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

We did the 17 day Twice the Tahiti last December (it was fabulous!). We got Tahiti Wifi 10GB for what you will be using for and it was perfect. Hope you understand that in Fakarava and Raiatea there is no service at all.

Thanks Petoonya. We will get the 10GB. 

Did you mean Rangiroa or is there no service in Raiatea.

I think we are all set with planning now, just counting the days😉

17 minutes ago, salmn said:

Thanks Petoonya. We will get the 10GB. 

Did you mean Rangiroa or is there no service in Raiatea.

I think we are all set with planning now, just counting the days😉

I'm sorry. It was Rangiroa not Raiatea. If you are a snorkeler really try to do a tour that has the Aquarium and the drift snorkel in Rangiroa. Fabulous. Have a great time!

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I'm sorry. It was Rangiroa not Raiatea. If you are a snorkeler really try to do a tour that has the Aquarium and the drift snorkel in Rangiroa. Fabulous. Have a great time!

Oh- The Six Passengers does the tour in Rangiroa- they are primarily a diving company but they also do snorkeling.

https://www.the6passengers.com/fr/

Wind Spirit Twice the Tahiti was the cruise of a lifetime. When those sails go up it takes your breath away. The dining is beyind superb as is service. We snorkeled every day! The sports platform is a blast- sailing, kayaking, tubing and just relaxing out on a big foam raft with others. It should be Thrice the Tahiti.

Four days in Bora Bora- what more can one ask for?

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Oh- The Six Passengers does the tour in Rangiroa- they are primarily a diving company but they also do snorkeling.

https://www.the6passengers.com/fr/

Wind Spirit Twice the Tahiti was the cruise of a lifetime. When those sails go up it takes your breath away. The dining is beyind superb as is service. We snorkeled every day! The sports platform is a blast- sailing, kayaking, tubing and just relaxing out on a big foam raft with others. It should be Thrice the Tahiti.

Four days in Bora Bora- what more can one ask for?

Thanks again for your help.  We are pretty well booked.  Definitely planning on a lot of snorkeling.  We followed your suggested tour operators at most stops and threw in a couple of Windstar tours. Can't wait.

55 minutes ago, salmn said:

Thanks again for your help.  We are pretty well booked.  Definitely planning on a lot of snorkeling.  We followed your suggested tour operators at most stops and threw in a couple of Windstar tours. Can't wait.

So envious- wish we were joining you! Be sure to tell us all how it went when you get back 🙂

6 hours ago, woody14h said:

How did this post get hijacked from the Verizon Travel pass question.  I also am curious a of the effective wifi for the area.

Sorry that you are offended. The OP Salmn and I have been talking for a long time about their upcoming cruise and I thought it would be OK to wish them well and mention an excursion.

Tahiti Wifi as I said worked great for me but only in and close to port in the Society Islands not the Tuamotus.

Hopefully someone else can answer the V Travel Pass question.

Edited by Petoonya

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, woody14h said:

How did this post get hijacked from the Verizon Travel pass question.  I also am curious a of the effective wifi for the area.

If a conversation ever veered too far off track, rest assured one of us would pop in either to steer the conversation back on track or take further steps, if necessary. As you know, our community is so friendly and based on sharing information, which leads to familiarity and friendships both online and in real life. It's one of the hallmarks of what makes our community so special. 

It might slow down the process of seeking a quick answer to a question but, your remedy is always to just skip through posts or even better, start your own topic! With regard to mobile phone use, wifi, SIM cards overseas, it's a conversation we see frequently on the boards but it's not a one-size-fits-all scenario. Everyone has different carriers, phones, needs, and budgets!

And so while initially a topic may seem to be going in the direction one seeks, it can veer off quickly, even when it remains directly on the topic of conversation. I absolutely recommend posting a new topic, after doing a search of recent threads to see if anything related might serve your needs and provide answers to your particular question.

Chances are, one of our members has an answer since most of us travel with our devices and might need to send a message somewhere, or at a minimum, look something up–maps or local spots–while we are traveling, and wifi can be so handy. 

Finally, for what it's worth, I'm a Verizon user and last time abroad I used local SIM cards for my phone combined with wifi (for phone and extended wifi use or texts etc) and found it to be perfectly adequate. I can pay less to get the same capability w/o overpaying Verizon which for me, is a win every time. 

Thanks everyone 😎