All about Rome

Stardoggy

We are wanting to book the November 1 TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on the Edge.  We are seasoned cruisers, but have never been to Rome. We need to know what airport to choose, hotel options, and transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to pier.  Also, if you have a estimate of those costs, that would help too. We will appreciate any and all information you will share.  Thanks in advance! 

You'll likely be using Fiumicino airport. Only some of the small discount airlines like Ryan Air use Ciampino.

Start your search for Hotels and transportation on the Ports of Call board for Italy:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

We usually have excellent results by looking at booking.com for hotels. If you are going to be taking the train, look for something near Termini. 

You might also ask on your Roll Call to see what your fellow cruisers have planned.

Edited by mom says

1 hour ago, Stardoggy said:

We are wanting to book the November 1 TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on the Edge.  We are seasoned cruisers, but have never been to Rome. We need to know what airport to choose, hotel options, and transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to pier.  Also, if you have a estimate of those costs, that would help too. We will appreciate any and all information you will share.  Thanks in advance! 

We've been to Rome many times...But we always tend to try to do something a little different.  We'll be cruising in and out of Rome again next July.  This time, we'll be flying into Milan about ten days before the cruise, renting a car and driving down to Civitavecchia.  Then, post-cruise, we'll stay two nights in Rome--at our favorite little hotel, the Residenza Farnese:

https://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/en/

...then we fly out of Fiumicino...which is the main airport for Rome with most of the international flights.

What we like about the Residenza Farnese:  It's a 4-star hotel, but very reasonably priced.  It's on a quiet side street just off the Campo di Fiore and near the Piazza Navona--A great location with most of the sights of Rome within close walkable distance.  The Campo has a lot of reasonably priced little restaurants with outdoor seating and no cover charge for an outdoor table.  The hotel is small, nice and has a nice included breakfast.

There are many ways to get from the airport to hotels in Central Rome and from Central Rome to the port in Civitavecchia...Many use the train--and we've done that (though I wouldn't stay near Termini Station in Rome--the neighborhood is not all that great).  Another option that is even less expensive than the train are the buses--There are bus companies that have regular service from right in front of the airline terminals into the heart of the city--that are, in some ways, easier to use than the train.  With either option, though, you may need a taxi from wherever you get off to your hotel...but not that much added cost.

For travel between hotels in Rome to the port, the train has seemed to be the best option (We've also traveled between the two via a van, hired with three other couples--our driver threw in a nice tour of Rome in the deal).  My personal preference is to get to Civitavecchia the DAY BEFORE embarkation...as it is really not all that close to Rome and I don't like stressing over logistics on embarkation day.  Last time, we stayed at the Hotel Traghetto--which is near the port and right across the street from the shuttle to the port...but it is near very little else and my wife was not thrilled with the hotel.  Next July, we've got the night before booked at La Casa Sul Mare:

http://www.lacasasulmare.net/

...the top rated B&B in Civita...between the train station and the center of town...and we'll likely just grab a taxi to the pier in the morning...

Hope this helps...

Rome Cabs provides excellent reliable transportation service and you can book online. We've been picked up from FCO, hotels, and port. We love the door to door service and would not like to deal with train stations and luggage.

We've stayed at hotel Albergo Cesari a few times. The location is excellent, breakfast is included, and there is a nice rooftop bar. The price is very reasonable. We've stayed in a couple of other hotels, but this location is our favorite, central but not noisy.

• Like 2

We did our first cruise on Celebrity for 10 or 11 nights roundtrip out of Rome.  I did not know what I was doing, but got a great rate for the cruise $899 pp for balcony, and $900 for roundtrip air fare.

We flew into Rome two days early - had booked Rome Cabs with a private car $400 total to pick us up at the airport and take us to the hotel, hotel to the port and at the end of the cruise take us from port to airport.  We had a mercedes car, good looking driver that was early for every leg of our trip.

We booked the premium Best Western hotel located on the backside of the Vatican.  You walk out of the hotel, follow the wall and you end up in the plaza area.  We walked everywhere.  Hotel was small room, and I am guessing, but $125 per night, but this was in 2011.

totally recommend that you go into Rome a few days early

Rome airport was a breeze coming in, but a nightmare leaving.

Another vote for Rome Cabs.  Great people, great service  Join your roll call and make some friends to share the ride costs from the city to the port, maybe even the airport to the city but that was only about 50 Euros last fall.

We like Albergo Del Senato.  It is right on the Pantheon Saquare and very well located for walking all over Rome.  Great staff, excellent breakfast too.  Lots of nice little restaurants around the square and the best gelato ever at a Lindt chocolate shop right up the street.

Plan to arrive in Rome 3 days ahead of your cruise.

You'll arrive at Fiumicino airport (FCO), sometimes also called Leonardo da Vinci.

Official taxis at the airport have a fixed rate into the city -- any hotel within the city walls, they charge a 48 euro fare. Large tips not expected so it handily rounds up to 50 euro.

Look for a hotel that is as centrally located as possible. "Ground zero" is at the Pantheon, bounded on the east by Trevi Fountain and on the west by Piazza Navona. Look at a map and try to find something in this area; if you do, you can get around on foot to just about all locations.  Do NOT stay at the Vatican; it is the 'outlier'.  It is quite easy to get there via a short taxi ride, however, or by a ride on the metro (which isn't all that convenient to much of the historic center -- because if you dug up the historic center it would be full of Roman ruins...:classic_biggrin:

I've been to Rome more than a dozen times (and I am going again in November for 10 days). I have used a number of hotels because I like trying new things -- but the Albergo del Senato is my hands-down favorite. I have also stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara (nearby, location is almost as good), and at the above-mentioned Albergo Cesari. However the latter has new ownership and is now called 9Hotel Cesari and I think there are renovations in progress...

Rick Steves has an excellent guidebook with self-guided walks and self-guided tours through many of the key sites. 

There are a few other regulars on the Cruise Critic Italy Ports of Call forum who are as passionate about Italy as I am and knowledgeable about transportation, booking tours, etc. Feel free to come hang out and ask any specific questions there!

Buon viaggio!

I will chime and say definitely come in a few days early (or more) if you are able to before your cruise.  It is an incredible city with a lot to see, and you are going at a great time. We spent 5 days/4 nights in Rome last month before a cruise that left from Venice.  It was incredibly hot (which we could live with) and incredibly crowded to the point that the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Colleseum were very unpleasant because they were so packed with people.  

Have a great time!

We were in Rome in May 2019 and loved our « hotel », the Navona Queen. It’s location is fantastic! Within 5 minute walking distance from the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. Actually, within a couple minutes walking, we were on small streets, with boutiques, and restaurants. We found small treasures in the areas.. About  20-30 minute walking distance from St-Peters, the Spanish steps, the Trevi Fontana and the Coliseum. It has a bar roof top and we enjoyed the included breakfast. Furthermore, it was quite reasonably priced.

After booking it, we learned it was a bed and breakfast. The room was a bit small, yet very clean and the staff very helpful. It seems to be run by members if the same family.

If I were to have an opportunity to go back to room, I would book the Navona Queen again without hesitation.

P.s. My wife is nervous in big cities/crowds such as Paris, New-York yet she loved Rome and our hotel location.

Enjoy your time in Rome!