best way to communicate with other passengers

fishteamteam

We have 4 people booked on the Harmony of the Seas in 2 different cabins in different areas of the ship. What is the best way for us to communicate and find each other while on the cruise? I have read that you can use the Royal Caribbean app while on board without having to have the WiFi package and you can link with other passengers through the app. So do I understand correct that we could send messages through the app without having the WiFi package? Or if we get the internet package for 2 devices can we sign on with one of our phones and one of theirs to text each other and keep our phones in airplane mode? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We’ve done 2 things- each cabin has WiFi for messaging, whiteboard on door.  I really prefer us each having text messaging 🙂

I prefer texting also but the last time we cruised was in 2013. We still had flip phones and the internet package on the ships were outrageous! They charged by the hour so you had to remember to sign off when you werent using it or you would rack up a ton of charges Lol. So if we buy just the surf package for 2 devices can we use one password on our phone and give the other couple the password for the other device to use on their phone? That way we would each have a phone to text each other while on the ship.

2 minutes ago, fishteamteam said:

I prefer texting also but the last time we cruised was in 2013. We still had flip phones and the internet package on the ships were outrageous! They charged by the hour so you had to remember to sign off when you werent using it or you would rack up a ton of charges Lol. So if we buy just the surf package for 2 devices can we use one password on our phone and give the other couple the password for the other device to use on their phone? That way we would each have a phone to text each other while on the ship.

Yes that would work

15 minutes ago, fishteamteam said:

And if we don't buy the WiFi package, does anybody know if you can link with each other through the Royal app and send chats through it?

Yes, the "free" chat function works on Harmony.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, the "free" chat function works on Harmony.

Thank you so much for helping me understand how internet works on the ship. Looks like the only reason to get the internet package would be to communicate with family back home.

2 hours ago, fishteamteam said:

And if we don't buy the WiFi package, does anybody know if you can link with each other through the Royal app and send chats through it?

Yes..it works on Harmony.  You go into the chat section in the app once you are connected to the ship's wifi and you search for the other passengers by name to add them to your contacts.  Then you can message them.  

It will not notify you that you have a message with any sort of push notification.  You have to open the app to check.

You don't need Internet to use the Royal app or this feature, you just need to be connected to their wifi.  Buying VOOM is what gives you connection to the Internet.

Edited by AshleyDillo

15 minutes ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

You need the Wifi.  

You do not need to purchase internet access (VOOM) for the chat function to work.  You do need to connect to the ship's WiFi, but that is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You do not need to purchase internet access (VOOM) for the chat function to work.  You do need to connect to the ship's WiFi, but that is free.

Will this work on Allure ? We sail in Nov and this would be a great feature to use as there are 4 of us.

4 hours ago, biomedbob said:

What's wrong with 'See you at 9'15  in the WindJammer".when you part?

Speaking only for myself, I'm sailing Mariner next year with my wife, my two brothers, their wives, various children aged 3-16, and my 75 year old mother. We have 4 staterooms spread over 3 decks, forward, mid-ship, and aft. It can often be difficult to get everyone on the same page. Kids can be fine one minute and belly aching the next. My mother's arthritis can act up. People wake up at radically different times. Just trying to get everyone together for a meal can be challenging. Being able to group text just makes it a lot easier to see where people are and come up with convenient / workable meeting places and times. Nobody is going to walk to the opposite side of the ship to stick a Post-it to someone's door every time they leave the cabin. And "meet me here at 9:15" is easy to say, but often harder to execute. 

6 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Speaking only for myself, I'm sailing Mariner next year with my wife, my two brothers, their wives, various children aged 3-16, and my 75 year old mother. We have 4 staterooms spread over 3 decks, forward, mid-ship, and aft. It can often be difficult to get everyone on the same page. Kids can be fine one minute and belly aching the next. My mother's arthritis can act up. People wake up at radically different times. Just trying to get everyone together for a meal can be challenging. Being able to group text just makes it a lot easier to see where people are and come up with convenient / workable meeting places and times. Nobody is going to walk to the opposite side of the ship to stick a Post-it to someone's door every time they leave the cabin. And "meet me here at 9:15" is easy to say, but often harder to execute. 

I agree 100%! Leaving a post it is all well and good but how do you even know they will go back to their cabin and get the message? Then you are just sitting and waiting for someone that doesnt even know you are there. It's vacation, plans change and it would be so much easier to send a text. 

• Like 1

When we travel with friends, family, or a group......I explain at the outset we are not joined at the hip.  We will get on board together and probably get off on the same day.  If we happen to meet up at breakfast, lunch or dinner great.  Trying to get a group to agree on anything.......time.....event.....location, isn't going to happen on my vacation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

When we travel with friends, family, or a group......I explain at the outset we are not joined at the hip.  We will get on board together and probably get off on the same day.  If we happen to meet up at breakfast, lunch or dinner great.  Trying to get a group to agree on anything.......time.....event.....location, isn't going to happen on my vacation.

OK. You obviously don't need the text capability then. 

This trip we're going on is something of a family reunion. We're all going in an attempt to spend a few days together. Not everything, but we'd like to be able to gather now and again and hang out. The chat app would simply make that process a lot easier if someone is at the pool, someone else had to go to the Windjammer to feed a crying kid on the fly, someone else is at trivia at the Schooner Bar, etc. It would make things exponentially easier for us, so it would come in handy. YMMV. 

• Like 1

If you decide to get the internet package and have an iPhone, iMessages works even while your phone is in airplane mode . I communicated with people that way on the ship and even emails family back home. 

Edited by Shanleigh

On 9/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Yes..it works on Harmony.  You go into the chat section in the app once you are connected to the ship's wifi and you search for the other passengers by name to add them to your contacts.  Then you can message them.  

It will not notify you that you have a message with any sort of push notification.  You have to open the app to check.

You don't need Internet to use the Royal app or this feature, you just need to be connected to their wifi.  Buying VOOM is what gives you connection to the Internet.

Just off Harmony.. The app does have push notifications..  Imessage does not work anymore..