Forgot Meds

Jancruz

This could well explain why the pharmacy told us "aspirin" wasn't available whereas our Danish friends told us that indeed it is.  We'd have purchased paradetamol had we known that it is the Danish version of tylenol ... although maybe not.  I'm one of those people who finds plain old aspirin far more effective than acetaminophen.  The staff at this pharmacy spoke excellent English but I wouldn't expect them to know the Danish terms for all of our every day meds.

Just a few quick thoughts.

1. 'Aspirin' is the brand name for ASA, but it's a German brand name (Bayer AG). Denmark borders Germany (to many Danes' chagrin) so I would expect a Danish pharmacy staffer would know what 'Aspirin' is. 

2. Even for countries that border one another, some fairly common (in one country) drugs are not legal in the other. 'Robaxacet' (active ingredient: methocarbamol) is OTC in Canada, and is presently Rx-only in the USA. When I wandered into a Walgreens looking for it in Florida 20 years ago, I inadvertently made the pharmacist very, very nervous.

3. Why N. Americans/Japanese call it 'acetaminophen' when the rest of the world calls it 'paracetamol' is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy basic things like acetaminophen on the ship - if not from the store, then from the medical center via a phone call.  It may be labeled something else, but store or medical personnel should be able to help you pick the correct item.