Tight space sanity saving ideas

seashellsk

With that many people in a cabin with only one bathroom, I highly recommend taking a bottle of Poo-pourri with you.  Even with only 2 people in a cabin it has been a lifesaver!!!

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

What is the concern over surge protection?

The ship's electrical system isn't the same as in a home. There's all kinds of discombobulators and flux capacitors. 😆 Seriously though, I've seen it explained a few times, but I don't really remember and I'm no electrical engineer, so I won't attempt to explain it, but surge protected devices can do harm to the ship's electrical.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Two interiors could not cost much more than 4 in one cabin. Plenty of space, two bathrooms, two sitting ares. Why not spend a little more and be completely comfortable. 

They are in a balcony so interiors would be a huge step down. We have four in a balcony coming up. First two fares were $700 plus each, 3 and 4 were $139 each. Worth it to us. Agree you need to check fares both ways as sometimes two interiors are not muck more than four in one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, clo said:

That's really sad.  But we had our own cabin on our Norwegian coastal cruise.  One CC member described our cabin as looking like a prison cell.  She obviously cruises for a different reason than we do 🙂

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

While I wouldn't call this a prison cell, it does evoke thoughts of camping trailers and how "cozy" they can be.  It can be interesting to understand other's background and point of view.  Things that don't make sense to me on the surface sometimes will when I realize I'm not coming from the same mindset as the other person 🙂 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, Curt1591 said:

What is the concern over surge protection?

On 10/3/2019 at 11:55 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The ship's electrical system isn't the same as in a home. There's all kinds of discombobulators and flux capacitors. 😆 Seriously though, I've seen it explained a few times, but I don't really remember and I'm no electrical engineer, so I won't attempt to explain it, but surge protected devices can do harm to the ship's electrical.

The risk from surge protectors has been explained on numerous threads, but I'm also not an engineer and can't explain it well.  My remembrance though is the issue is fire safety - not harm to ship's electrical (except the harm fire causes).

On 9/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, seashellsk said:

4 of us ladies (50 year olds) are taking a 5 day on Carnival Elation. We have a balcony, 2 twin and 2 pullmans. Ok i need some advice. I am trying to come up with some sanity saving ideas for all of our STUFF. Here is what i have been thinking:

1. Shower caddie (pocket) that hangs on the shower rod - do the showers have rods to hang this on? No rod.  Pack the minimum toiletries you need.  Carnival provides shampoo and body wash, but travel sizes of your preferred brand (decanted if necessary from large containers) shouldn't take much space, just put away when done.

2. Over door pockets (think shoes) - I have heard that they no longer allow the metal part that goes over the door to hold this. We've never used these.  Carnival is pretty generous with their closet space, so if you are all ok with your shoes touching each other, there should be room on the closet floor for a minimal amount of shoes (1 pair for the gym, 1 pair of sandals or walking shoes, 1 pair of neutral dress shoes [might get away with sandals]). 

I have seen foldable hanging shoe sleeves that have a velcro wrap to hang in the closet (similar ones for sweaters too) if you think you won't need the hanging space in the closet.  The sweater one might actually be good for people to store their packing cubes.

3. Command hooks or metal hooks - I have heard the metal ones no longer work. i could use a command hook on the door to hold the shoe pocket if no hooks allowed. Depending on what you hang I find magnets work well.  They hold more weight if attached to the ceiling vs. the wall.  Amazon has a nice selection - we take 2 packs of 6 of the medium size.  Be prepared the walls/ceiling may not hold magnets everywhere.  They worked great on Anthem and Pride, but very few spots on Sunrise.

4. Extension cords allowed? No surge protection, but a basic cord is usually allowed.  Depending on your needs a multi-port USB station is likely more what you need.

5. We plan on bringing yeti type cups, do you feel they were a good idea? I feel they are a good idea.  We are fine drinking the ship's water and would fill our mugs (from a clean cup) at the drink stations at breakfast and lunch to keep throughout the day.

6. What about towel holder clamps to hold to your chair? Not a horrendous idea, but not necessary.  You will only have 2 chairs on your balcony and shouldn't use the towels unattended there regardless.  At the pool you will likely be in the lounger so no need.  If you have space though it isn't bad - you'll just need to prioritize.

Any other hints are very welcome! Thanks

We got a clothesline on Amazon that can be coiled up and has a carry bag.  This could be strung on the magnets you bring and attached to the ceiling near the wall to dry clothes if necessary.  There really isn't much room in the shower and any weight drags the in-shower cord down.  The line we got has clips attached to the line.

I'm assuming you already have the cabin booked and won't suggest splitting into two staterooms.  In the future if you are on the ships with a 4K interior (I know Pride and Legend have these) you can get an inside priced cabin with balcony space and light.  They are still a picture window and have an obstructed view (lifeboats) but an option if you don't need the actual balcony.

I personally think you can have a great time on a 5 day cruise.  I'm guessing you won't spend a lot of time in the cabin and if you pack light and keep things put away you should be fine.  My husband and I took our two teenagers on a cruise this summer and while we did have to get creative with the bathroom and getting changed, overall it worked fine (we did have an oversized ocean view on Anthem of the Seas, so that helped).  My tips are above.