Using "WhatsApp" onboard

fellswoop

Trans Pacific soon on Ovation. Bought internet plus streaming for 2 devices.  My husband said he saw something about not using WhatsApp.  Were they just referring to making calls? Hoping we can still use the message chat. Has anyone used it lately on board?

7 hours ago, fellswoop said:

Trans Pacific soon on Ovation. Bought internet plus streaming for 2 devices.  My husband said he saw something about not using WhatsApp.  Were they just referring to making calls? Hoping we can still use the message chat. Has anyone used it lately on board?

If you’ve got the internet package, WhatsApp will work, just don’t use your regular cell plan to make calls/send messages

9 hours ago, fellswoop said:

My husband said he saw something about not using WhatsApp. 

WhatsApp used to work free while the ship had the Royal IQ app - I think RCI plugged that hole when they switched to the RCI app so it may no longer work free, perhaps that's what he saw.

4 minutes ago, benzygirl said:

So WhatsApp will work on ship if you have the wifi. 

What about in Nassau or Cococay?

Do you need the $10 ATT plan for off ship?

Royal's WiFi works at Coco Cay.

Don't know what the $10 AT&T plan gives you, but unless you find a WiFi hotspot there, you would need cellular data in Nassau.

Dont  use ATT.  But as for being outside the USA, many companies will allow you to buy data roaming packages and some will include foreign roaming in their allowances.

So check your provider.  If they wont give you what you need, get your phone unlocked and a sim card from someone who will work with you.  I have an unlocked phone, 3 sims and can get what i want, where i want.  uK, us , europe.

9 minutes ago, atush said:

Dont  use ATT.  But as for being outside the USA, many companies will allow you to buy data roaming packages and some will include foreign roaming in their allowances.

So check your provider.  If they wont give you what you need, get your phone unlocked and a sim card from someone who will work with you.  I have an unlocked phone, 3 sims and can get what i want, where i want.  uK, us , europe.

T-Mobile works well World Wide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal's WiFi works at Coco Cay.

Don't know what the $10 AT&T plan gives you, but unless you find a WiFi hotspot there, you would need cellular data in Nassau.

Oh, I missed your post about wifi works in CocoCay.   I can live without cellular for the couple hours I may be off ship in Nassau.  Then all I really need is their wifi   Thank you for the information

1 hour ago, benzygirl said:

Oh, I missed your post about wifi works in CocoCay.   I can live without cellular for the couple hours I may be off ship in Nassau.  Then all I really need is their wifi   Thank you for the information

You can also get free (but slow) WiFi at McDonalds in Nassau.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, John&LaLa said:

T-Mobile works well World Wide. 

Yeap.

I am going to Mauritania and Burkina Faso for work, and my T-mobile worldwide plan (no extra charge) will work in both.

I was surprised.