Wine on Royal Caribbean

Majxx

Hi

we are doing our first ever cruise on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas in October. I am trying to work out if the alcoholic drinks package is worth it for us. Our tipple of choice is good wine. It looks like wines by the glass are included in the package, whereas bottles of wine are only discounted. So can anyone advise on the quality of the wines by the glass? Are they like a cheap “house” wine? Or better than that? Thanks 

11 hours ago, Majxx said:

Hi

we are doing our first ever cruise on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas in October. I am trying to work out if the alcoholic drinks package is worth it for us. Our tipple of choice is good wine. It looks like wines by the glass are included in the package, whereas bottles of wine are only discounted. So can anyone advise on the quality of the wines by the glass? Are they like a cheap “house” wine? Or better than that? Thanks 

Try the Royal Caribbean forum,there should be some serious wine drinkers there.

As said you can take 2 bottles of wine with you in your carry on bag also 12 none alcohol drinks.

My sister is a wine drinker (she will drink vinegar) she didn’t complain about quality but she did complain about the prices.$US 15 up for a glass.You can buy bottles which are cheaper but aren’t a bargain. If you go to a specialty restaurant there’s a 20%discount per bottle.

22 hours ago, Majxx said:

Hi

Welcome to Cruise critic.

The wine by the glass varies from being slightly better than house wines to reasonably good standard. Of course it is subjective thing. I recommend you bring on two bottles (per cabin) of a wine you love to drink. Once aboard, you can buy bottles as you go if they have not been finished, they will hold them for you, if the glasses of wine are not to your taste.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Welcome to Cruise critic.

The wine by the glass varies from being slightly better than house wines to reasonably good standard. Of course it is subjective thing. I recommend you bring on two bottles (per cabin) of a wine you love to drink. Once aboard, you can buy bottles as you go if they have not been finished, they will hold them for you, if the glasses of wine are not to your taste.

There may be a USD15 corkage charge if you take your bottle to the table. I say "may' as I have found the wait staff inconsistent in applying the fee. Last time on Ovation some did, some didn't. On Radiance I've never been charged but that may have changed as its been 2 or 3 years since I was last on her. Or, fill your glass in your cabin and take it with you but this may not be suitable for MDR unless you're happy with just one glass.

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

There may be a USD15 corkage charge if you take your bottle to the table. I say "may' as I have found the wait staff inconsistent in applying the fee. Last time on Ovation some did, some didn't. On Radiance I've never been charged but that may have changed as its been 2 or 3 years since I was last on her. Or, fill your glass in your cabin and take it with you but this may not be suitable for MDR unless you're happy with just one glass.

We have never been charged corkage for any wine we bring on board and I was told some time ago that they weren't charging it.

Generally, white wine by the glass is pretty average and IMO there is no good red wine by the glass.  We buy the Ultimate Dining Package and get the 40% off a bottle of wine.  If you buy the 3 Nights Dining Package, they are fine if you buy 2 bottles at a time when in the Specialty Restaurants on Radiance - drink one and take the other to your cabin.

Enjoy the Radiance!

Cheers

Di

42 minutes ago, Dizziedi said:

We have never been charged corkage for any wine we bring on board and I was told some time ago that they weren't charging it.

Generally, white wine by the glass is pretty average and IMO there is no good red wine by the glass.  We buy the Ultimate Dining Package and get the 40% off a bottle of wine.  If you buy the 3 Nights Dining Package, they are fine if you buy 2 bottles at a time when in the Specialty Restaurants on Radiance - drink one and take the other to your cabin.

Enjoy the Radiance!

Cheers

Di

We have done that also.