Ventura - can I bring water/soft drinks on board?

Trulee Scrumptious

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before, but new cruiser to P&O here. I know we can take 1ltr spirits each on board with us. Do P&O have restrictions on taking a small quantity of soft drinks/bottled water on board? I am diabetic and some diet drinks still affect my blood glucose so would like  a few of the ones that I know don't in the cabin if possible

many thanks

Hi....think I must be stingy as I never ever consider buying bottled water ....I do exactly what I do at home and add a drop or two of cordial/squash to a jug of water....preferably lemon....I always though that the water available in the buffet was safe to drink but maybe I am risking it

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....think I must be stingy as I never ever consider buying bottled water ....I do exactly what I do at home and add a drop or two of cordial/squash to a jug of water....preferably lemon....I always though that the water available in the buffet was safe to drink but maybe I am risking it

Not at all. It's all perfectly safe,  even in the cabins. It just tastes a little unpleasant because,  I assume,  of the desalination,  so masking it as you do sounds very sensible. 

It a makes me wonder why people who are paying a lot for their cruise holiday are considering inconveniencing themselves by taking water aboard rather than paying around £10 (before Peninsular discount) for 6 large bottles of water, delivered into your cabin. A pint of beer and a glass of wine costs about the same. 

• Like 2

Just now, pete14 said:

It a makes me wonder why people who are paying a lot for their cruise holiday are considering inconveniencing themselves by taking water aboard rather than paying around £10 (before Peninsular discount) for 6 large bottles of water, delivered into your cabin. A pint of beer and a glass of wine costs about the same. 

Maybe some of us are from Yorkshire......

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm another one that doesn't understand the need to buy bottled water. The water out of the taps is probably purer than the water from the taps in your house.

Save your money for wine instead!

As pure, possibly.  Purer, no. 

And the water from my taps doesn't have that bitter taste that the water from the cabin taps has.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

And the water from my taps doesn't have that bitter taste that the water from the cabin taps has.

Can't say I have noticed the bitter taste on any ship I have been on, but to be fair, I don't drink that much water.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Hi Pete - not bothered about bottled water tbh - but as a diabetic I prefer to have mixers I can drink without spiking BG's which was why I asked the question.

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm another one that doesn't understand the need to buy bottled water. The water out of the taps is probably purer than the water from the taps in your house.

Save your money for wine instead!

Please see reply below - bottled water was not my initial main interest, but being diabetic not spiking BG's is!!

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We always fill up water bottles from the tap, and after leaving it overnight in the fridge we don't notice any bitter taste, whether that's due to my poor taste buds or that any bitterness dissipates overnight, who knows.

39 minutes ago, Trulee Scrumptious said:

Hi Pete - not bothered about bottled water tbh - but as a diabetic I prefer to have mixers I can drink without spiking BG's which was why I asked the question.

As a fellow diabetic, I understand your concern about mixers. However, if you take sugar free mixers and put them in spirits bought and drunk in bars, you may be asked to desist. Sugar free mixers can be bought with spirits but of course, as with all mixers, they are sold at inflated prices. 

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

As a fellow diabetic, I understand your concern about mixers. However, if you take sugar free mixers and put them in spirits bought and drunk in bars, you may be asked to desist. Sugar free mixers can be bought with spirits but of course, as with all mixers, they are sold at inflated prices. 

Hi Pete - totally understand, can tolerate what they have on board in the bars etc., just like to know what I have in my cabin as a pre-dinner drink, or late night wind down wont spike my BG's unnecessarily.

Absolutely. You can of course buy litre bottles of spirits to water down your mixers via room service at prices comparable to those in UK supermarkets (or in some cases less). There will even be some glasses in your cabin which you can use.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We always fill up water bottles from the tap, and after leaving it overnight in the fridge we don't notice any bitter taste, whether that's due to my poor taste buds or that any bitterness dissipates overnight, who knows.

Tried that, and I agree - it does seem to work. A good tip.

On a two week cruise we take 48 cans of pop and 48 500ml bottles of water. I stack them up, stick them all together with packing tape.

Print out a few extra extra large luggage labels and stick them on the top and sides of the package.

They get taken by the porter with my 8 suitcases and all appear in my cabin before sailing.