What to do in Lanzarote for the day??

scottie cruiser

First of all,Lanzarote is an island.So you are docked near the city of Arecife.The city itself is not really worth to visit and the distance between port and city centre is approx. 2,5 miles.

The national park of the volcano Timanfaya is very interesting. There are some demonstrations on how hot the island still is.(buring hay in a hole and some other things). I`m sure the cruise line will offer an excoursion to this place but you can do it also rather easily with a rental car. Rental cars are cheap and usually available at the port.But i would book them in advance to be on the safe side. FInding they way to the national park is also rather easy.As far as i remember there are signs along the road. With a GPS device it is even more easy to find. Entrance fee to the park is not that much(i have something like 8 Euros in my mind, this was 2012)

I'll second renting a car at the port & visiting Timanfaya.

Book a car with CICAR, the Canaries' major agency (highly-respected, sensible price, good late clean car, no sharp tricks).

Timanfaya is a surreal volcanic plain with multiple craters. You can only drive to the visitor centre. Your admission includes a ride in a tour bus round the volcanic park (I'm a retired coach driver, hats off to the drivers who have to weave between jagged outcrops).

Then drive about 12 miles to the west coast between Los Hervideros and El Golfo, to see the amazing formations where the lava flow entered the sea.

On the way back to Arrecife, mebbe drop into the resort town of Puerto del Carmen.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Go to timanfaya definitely. But go around 2pm. Not a lot of crowds then and easy to park. We went to playa de papagano first then to timanfaya with our car rental. Cicar is right near cruise port entrance. Do yourself a favor and reserve now. It's really easy to drive around lanzarote. Below is playa de papagano. VERY rough road to get there but gorgeous. Just drive very slow.

20171108_114659.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Thanks 1

We are travelling with Norwegian and they have changed our arrival time from 9am to 10am. We have already booked our car but just wanted to check whether we will have enough time to pick up car and do volcano trip and be back in time for 6pm departure (5pm back on ship) without being rushed. Thank you in advance.

11 hours ago, Aussie Belle said:

We are travelling with Norwegian and they have changed our arrival time from 9am to 10am. We have already booked our car but just wanted to check whether we will have enough time to pick up car and do volcano trip and be back in time for 6pm departure (5pm back on ship) without being rushed. Thank you in advance.

Yes, no worries - Timanfaya is only about 40 minutes away. :classic_smile:

(5pm, not 5.30, for a 6pm sailing?)

Do change your booking time for the car - if  you're an hour later than your booking you might find that your car has been given to a walk-up customer 

There are two possible ports in Arecife.  The new cruise terminal is about 15 minutes walk to the city centre.

Avoid Puerto del Carmen. Typical tourist resort - Playa Blanca, on the south of the island,  whilst still a resort, is much nicer, with a long prom.

Cicar have offices both on the quay at  Av. de los Marmoles (old cruise berth) and at Marina Lanzarote (adjacent the new cruise berth).

If you dock at the old berth they might have a car for you at that office, or you might be driven to their main office at the marina - that's what happened to us but we took the car back to the old berth and dropped they key through their door. Very easy & efficient.

If you berth near the marina they might meet you there or you might have a 5-minute walk to the marina. 

I suggest you advise them of your ship & ask their pick-up arrangements.