Is Premium Plus upgrade worth it?

FLConnie

Curious to learn how many think the drink package upgrade is really worth the price?  We are doing a 21-day, so it's quite a bit more for that long of time.  Has the "regular" drink package been downgraded?  We just sailed in April with NCL and our only complaint was that not all of the bars had the wines that were included. Wondering if this is an issue with the Premium Plus too.

I don't think it's worth it at all unless you want to drink a lot of top shelf drinks.

You are covered for all drinks upto $15 and if you fancy the occasional top shelf, you only pay the difference plus 20% gratuity.

Fancy an $18 drink just pay the difference of $3 plus 20%

EDIT: forgot to say you also get specialty coffees, bottled water and bottles of wine with dinner, but that has little value to me.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

Easy answer is look at your budget and what you would spend I think for a 21 day sailing its around $750 per person to upgrade so $1500 for 2 

drinks over $15 limit 

bottled water 

specialty coffee

will you actually drink that much more over the standard package to get near the $1500 you will spend in the upgrade

for the wife and I no since we bring refillable bottles for water so no coat there

starbucks  at 2 a day on 21 that would be about $290 

a few drink I like are over the $15 example I like woodford reserve over $15 but I also like bulliet under $15 so for the difference over $15 for woodford accounting for $300 in Starbucks I would have to drink like 300 woodford to break even on the upgrade 

For a 21 day cruise, I'd stick with the regular package.  Its $730pp for the cruise?  That's a lot per person.  I thoroughly enjoyed the PPB on our 7 day, but if you think you can get away with good spirits, and halfway decent wine for 3 weeks, I'd stick with the PBP.  If you want to splurge on a nicer wine by the glass, or bottle, splurge and get 20% off, or pay the difference plus 20% gratuity.  Honestly don't think I'd be able to justify it for 3 weeks, and I drink a lot, and love great wines and top shelf liquors, but I'd "slum it" and splurge a couple times if I really wanted something special.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLConnie said:

It says we can get two bottles of wine with dinner.  I'm assuming we can take it back to our cabin if we don't finish them?  

You can take them back to the cabin.  We never took bottles back with us, because after dinner we went straight to bourbon or cocktails.  You can always get a fresh bottle the next night.  I had them open a bottle of Lucente for one glass, he ended up charging the PPB for the bottle, because nobody else would probably drink it by the glass within the next day (spoilage).

In regards to a bottle of VC, its $99 on board, or you can purchase it state-side for around $45-$50, plus a $15 corkage per bottle.  If you truly drink that much champagne, then I'm envious of your liver function, as mine is failing quickly, lol!!!  But also, if you truly do drink that much champagne, then yes, its worth it, because the bubbles on the regular menu pretty much stink!

Thanks for the input.  We decided to stick with the regular beverage package. We have never had trouble finding enough alcohol to keep us happy in the past, and I think it would be best to buy coffee, water and upcharged drinks as we go.  For the 7-day it would be great and we may try it for an upcoming 16-day since we're going with friends, but don't want to feel like we have to drink our money's worth every day. We will have a lot of long days off the ship and early morning excursions throughout the Middle East on this crazy cruise we are doing in November.  And I forgot we have 3 or 4 free bottles of liquor included with our cabin 🙂  

On 9/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, ziggyuk said:

You are covered for all drinks upto $15 and if you fancy the occasional top shelf, you only pay the difference plus 20% gratuity.

Fancy an $18 drink just pay the difference of $3 plus 20%

I'm having a heck of a time finding out exactly what I get with my "Adult Beverage Package". If that's what the deal is I'm good with that.

2 hours ago, Waquoit said:

I'm having a heck of a time finding out exactly what I get with my "Adult Beverage Package". If that's what the deal is I'm good with that.

Here is what is included...

https://www.ncl.com/terms/premium-beverage-package

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-beverage-package-2019.pdf

• Like 1