Emerald Princess opinions & cabin near laundry?

debsjc

Hoping some of your experienced Princess cruisers can help a newbie out please. We have taken about 20 cruises before but mostly on HAL, with a few on Oceania & NCL.

1- The balcony cabin we have been offered is opposite a self service laundry, does this cause noise which you can hear inside your cabin?

2- How is the Emerald Princess, compared to other ships in the fleet. Any particular positives or negatives? 

Edited by debsjc
typo

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Hoping some of your experienced Princess cruisers can help a newbie out please. We have taken about 20 cruises before but mostly on HAL, with a few on Oceania & NCL.

1- The balcony cabin we have been offered is opposite a self service laundry, does this cause noise which you can hear inside your cabin?

No. Actually very handy. Laundry right across the hall, and also free irons. Who offered this cabin? You can go into the Princess web site, select Plan a Cruise, Select Emerald Princess and your month. Then if you go through the steps of online booking you can actually see all available cabins in your category plus others. You may want to select a different location on a different deck, counter offer. Deck 10 has 9'x9' balconies with 5' of cover and 4' uncovered. Other decks have 9'x5' covered balconies.

You should also check to see if cabin(s) are connecting cabins. These can be a little noisy. Go to the Princess web site. Select Onboard Our Ships and follow the prompts for the deck plans. Checking the connecting cabin box will show them.

2- How is the Emerald Princess, compared to other ships in the fleet. Any particular positives or negatives? 

We sailed on her in February 2019 for 37 days. Great crew, nice layout, ship was in nice condition, comfy beds. The ship was dry docked March 2019. Improvements made to the buffet area, Planks & Steamers added, plus some other changes.

See above, hope this helps. You may also want to know that balcony cat. cabins on the Emerald and other Grand Class ships do not have sofas. There is a desk chair and there may be a barrel chair. If no barrel chair when you board request one on boarding day, if wanted, from the cabin steward. To get a sofa you have to book a mini suite or full suite.

Edited by skynight

21 minutes ago, skynight said:

See above, hope this helps. You may also want to know that balcony cat. cabins on the Emerald and other Grand Class ships do not have sofas. There is a desk chair and there may be a barrel chair. If no barrel chair when you board request one on boarding day, if wanted, from the cabin steward. To get a sofa you have to book a mini suite or full suite.

Excellent overview.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

3 hours ago, debsjc said:

Most of time I have chosen to my own laundry, it's been VERY late at night/early morning!!!  I know much as I may try to be quiet..  it is probably way noisier than others think I should be.  Just opening and closing doors late at night when there is no other noise seems very loud.

If it were me..  I'd choose another cabin.  IMOHO 

We’ve had a cabin on Caribe deck (on the Emerald), just opposite laundry room. I was a bit concerned but actually heard nothing at all. There are two sets of doors into the laundry room and seems fairly soundproof.  Occasionally, when I need to do laundry, I will go to the door and listen and more often than not, cannot hear any machines running, even if they are in use. So, I would book the cabin without regrets. As an aside, there are signs posted that state the laundry room is “open” from 0800-2200 (IIRC). I’ve heard some ships have the room locked during those hours but I think  many don’t.

Go for it! 

Just wanted to day thanks very much to everyone for your responses, they were all very helpful.

When we looked into it, there were not a lot of balcony cabins left on this sailing, so we did go for the one opposite the laundry. I don't think it will be a big issue for us, at least we have no excuse not to have clean clothes 😄

Hi Debs

I’m sure you will love the Emerald Princess. We have sailed on her three times and will be boarding once again 4 November in Barcelona through to LA. Our last trip on her was from Southampton to Sydney, 46 days and the only complaint was having to leave at the end! The crew are always really good with such a good atmosphere on the ship. 

Have a wonderful cruise.

Debs

P.S. Good Cruise Critic name 😄

• Like 1

I was on the Emerald Princess for 2 weeks this summer. While our cabin wasn't directly opposite the laundry, I could not hear anything from the hallway when outside the laundry room, even when there were several people in the room with all machines running. As others have mentioned, there is a 2nd door after you go through the first door and I'm sure that helps keep the sound down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a 6 day to  ground cruise tour with Princess to Venice Florence and Rome plus a 11 day med cruise on Emerald Princess and used the laundry on 9th floor almost directly under my cabin c 719.  A bit smaller than on the 10th floor but I hit it at the right time.  So nice to do laundry after a 6 day ground tour and prepare for the upcoming 11 day cruise.   As far as noise I wasn’t that close but another gal was close and could only mention how convenient it was for her no mention of noise.  

Btw the med internet package of 89.00 for whole cruise was excellent. I bought it on the first day and some mentioned it was cheaper than others paid ahead of time.  

Dining room  food not so good but we always found food to eat everywhere on the ship. 

Cabin deck c719 extra large balcony wonderful. Lots of storage.  No sprayer in shower nor glass only flimsy shower curtain. But convenient to both buffet pool and dining rooms.  

Excursions mostly perfect and they let you change if you changed your mind. We booked all with Princess. Go to the tour sessions. They helped a lot to plan and what to expect.   Entrainment mostly good.  Loved the 75% off shopping sell on last sea day! 

Overall i I would definitely cruise Princess again especially for long cruise with ability to do self laundry.  

Btw any questions anyone has I would glad to answer.   First time on the ship for me and on this particular ground cruise tour and I had a zillion questions and couldn’t find much information especially the ground tour.  If you are flying that far go see Venice and Florence and Rome.  I loved my time especially in Venice!    Princess cruise gets you ahead of the line.  Until you are at the Vatican with thousands of people waiting in that huge mile line early in the morning you won’t understand how convenient it was to just walk in with a Princess tour guide.   Don’t try it on your own.   

Akso so be careful of pickpocketing. Perfect place for that to happen.   We had our hidden wallet under our ops around our waist with euro and passports and I also carried another one seat to pull out my phones.   Thank goodness no one in our group experienced any of that! 

Loved our trip also around the Greek Isles.  So beautiful just like the pics! 

Edited by grandma101

I've been in a cabin across from the laundry room twice.  Never heard any noise from the machines however did hear plenty of chatter on occasion from the people using the machines.  Some seem to stand in the hall talking to their partner/friend while waiting for their load to finish or somehow hold the doors open while entering/exiting so then the noise would 'escape'.  Didn't bother me as I was usually getting changed and leaving the room again or just using my room facilities. I'd book that location again for the convenience when doing my own laundry!