Dress Code Does anyone care anymore

Tayscot

Just back from two weeks on D2 and had a great time. Over the years and many cruises we have relaxed our dress code a little from our P & O days of 2 Formal, 2 Semi Formal (Men required a jacket but no tie) and 3 Smart Casual to conform to the more relaxed dress styles/codes of the day. I still wear shirt/trousers/shoes and Mrs T a dress or trousers most nights but have always dressed up for the Dress to Impress night (our choice). I have not taken my kilt outfit for some years but take my dinner suit and Mrs T a long dress but after the last two weeks we give up and will not bother to haul formal wear with us again preferring to simply dress smartly as we do the rest of the cruise. Quite frankly the take up of wearing formal wear was very low and I cant see the point in dressing up when others are wearing sandals/flip flops, scabby shorts (certainly not dress shorts) and t shirts to the 'Formal' night. Many passengers had more tattoos covering their bodies than clothes perhaps to cover their "modesty". I'm not against tattoos as such but there were so many and so obvious we though we were on a tattoo themed cruise or at a tattooist's convention. The thing that bothered me most was my impression that many deliberately dressed down on the 'Formal' night just to annoy others. There was one man who dressed the rest of the week in reasonable shorts or chinos and mostly polo shirts and once a smart t shirt and always proper shoes but on the 'Formal' night wore flip flops, beach shorts and a vest top and was allowed into the main dining room. Why ???? It was obviously done to be provocative.

As for the rest of the cruise, ship, cabin, staff and entertainment all good apart from the entertainment the second week being very similar theatre company apart. Won't stop us coming back!!!

Just arrived back from D2 and totally agree with your report,  only to disagree with you in one point, scabby shorts flip flops and tattoos will not stop my formal wear on Dress to Impress evenings, whilst it is up to the individuals to dress as they see fit the current trend to make a statement is definately a lowering of standards and should be addressed by the staff. 

We had 2 weeks on D2 in Jul 😕 this year and were also surprised in what some people chose to wear and allowed to wear into the MDR. The first week was ok but week two ......well. we don't eat in the buffet for our evening meal we like the waiter service. We are not old fogeys and have two teenage boys who's dress sense put some adults to shame. We like to dress nicely and the same if we go for a meal back home. We loved our first cruise on D1 and the next was on Crown Princess also fantastic. The only draw from Marella is itinerary but the pull is not so strong and we are looking elsewhere for next year

Edited by Malleykatt
Spelling

I know where you are coming from, when we first cruised I went out of my way to dress my hubby in a dinner suit with all the trimmings bow tie frilly shirt the lot he hated it 😫 (Now stuck in the back of the wardrobe) and myself in a evening dress loved it 👍👍👍to really impress, however cruises have become much more affordable there for the dress code has been less. I now think of cruising as an AL holiday resort where you visit places that you would not go out of your way to visit or tick off your bucket list. Don't get me wronge where this is dress to impress or just an casual evening I still like to wear a dress and hubby casual wear long trousers and open neck shirt. Then I think (only my opinion ) what people are comfortable in and is happy wearing and will love to cruise again then good on them if everyone was the same then the world would be a dull place.  

3 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

We had 2 weeks on D2 in Jul 😕 this year and were also surprised in what some people chose to wear and allowed to wear into the MDR. The first week was ok but week two ......well. we don't eat in the buffet for our evening meal we like the waiter service. We are not old fogeys and have two teenage boys who's dress sense put some adults to shame. We like to dress nicely and the same if we go for a meal back home. We loved our first cruise on D1 and the next was on Crown Princess also fantastic. The only draw from Marella is itinerary but the pull is not so strong and we are looking elsewhere for next year

Sorry but what other people wear would actually put you off cruising on a cruise line or places you would like to visit? In May we were on MSC in yacht club and they do not dress up for evening dinner in the YC restaurant or on dress to impress. Live and let live as long as you are having a good time what does it matter what other people wear. 

Yes it would....have you been on board? I don't want to sit close enough to someone who's just walked in off of the pool deck not showered and dressed like a beach bum. It did happen so yes it would put me off. This was our third Marella cruise so time to widen the search. We all have our own opinions and that's mine. As to Msc casual maybe ok.....I'd be happy with that but beach shorts and vest tops stick to buffet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

Yes it would....have you been on board? I don't want to sit close enough to someone who's just walked in off of the pool deck not showered and dressed like a beach bum. It did happen so yes it would put me off. This was our third Marella cruise so time to widen the search. We all have our own opinions and that's mine. As to Msc casual maybe ok.....I'd be happy with that but beach shorts and vest tops stick to buffet.

I agree to beach shorts and vest tops  not allowed in the MDR however I have never seen this is in any MDR. If this did happen then I still think each to thier own this still would not put me off cruising with any cruise line if I liked what they had to offer. What I am saying is that the sites of the places you visit is more important than the sites you see on the ship. 

5 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Entirely agree with your comments. I also think some deliberately dressed down just to prove a point on D2. I didn't bother with a long dress this cruise and even in the cocktail dress I did wear felt a tad overdressed. 🤔🙄

I know how it feels to feel over dressed. I love my cocktail dresses however unless you go with the really high market cruise lines then we will always feel overdressed however it's not what others think it's how good we feel and if some people need to make a statement to down grade themselves then that's their problem it just would not put me of a particular cruise. 

I agree the places we visit have been fantastic. This year Pompeii & Herculaneum, the Vatican all really worth seeing. However the itineraries repeat each year so maybe that's why we fancy a change.

As to the vest guy...... his wife looked furious as she sat down. Don't think they exchanged a word all through the meal. Maybe his was making a statement as well as a stink. 

Was on D2 at the start of September and for the first time in my 9 cruises did not take my tux having felt out of place wearing it on Celebration last year. I did wear a new long sleeved shirt, tie, smart trousers and shoes. As always my wife was dressed in her finery.  Although not paying too much attention I felt there to be a good mix on Dress to Impress Night of people in formal gear , suits, shirt and tie etc. Didn't see anyone in t-shirt and shorts in MDR.

Was in Surf and Turf later in the week and there were people in there wearing shorts which no in way could be described as tailored.

As someone said earlier in the thread we like to dress smartly for dinner when out so always make the effort when on a cruise. I don't have a problem with people dressing as they want but where there is a dress code, it is well advertised on D2 , it should be respected and adhered to. 

• Like 1

I feel if  there is a dress code then it should be enforced especially in the speciality restaurants when people are paying a supplement and often to celebrate a special occasion My husband hasn't taken a tux on a cruise for years but always dresses appropriately for the MDR and even for the buffet on an evening and so do I. It is a lack of self respect in my opinion when people don't dress accordingly and I certainly do NOT want to cruise with people like that Nor do I want to cruise on other lines where people dress over the top either thinking they are better than other cruisers - nouveau riche - inverted snobs etc Would just like Marella to police behaviour better Glad I wasn't on Pensioncruisers cruise with people behaving atrociously

We have only encountered yobbish behaviour by a few on the Transatlantic cruises which tend to be good value cost wise but we never sail during school holidays so that's maybe why

Edited by Vitalsign
  • Like 1

I think you would have still enjoyed the cruise VS it was just a minority mainly in the Live room, but we still meet some lovely cruiseres and had our late nights in the Atrium. Food staff all still good but found the ship in poor repair compared to Discovery which should be put right in November, as I say will give a better review later. 

Sadly this is the way Marella cruises seem to be going.  Too many people with the attitude  " I'll wear what I  like , I'll smoke were I want to , even on my balcony,  It's my holiday, I'll do what I want.  " 

We found lots of these types of people on our last cruise with Marella. They have absolutely no consideration for crew or other passengers. 

The language of some of the people we came across left a lot to be desired. 

We always loved our Thomson cruises and dressing up on the formal nights.  Many people still do make the effort to dress appropriately and respect the crew but some others make me ashamed to be British. 

The CDs and ACDs must take some of the blame for this holiday camp type of behaviour by encouraging screaming and shouting in the lounges and around the pool. Don't get me started on blaring music. The sound in the theatre is so loud it distorts the music and singing ( well actually some of the singers are really awful ).  CDs in the past were fun but much more professional in their attitude to entertainment.

I agree some people may be deliberately turning up to the Dress to Impress Night to provoke a reaction. Best to ignore them and continue to make the effort.  It's they who should feel uncomfortable not you. And please continue to wear your kilt. I'm sure you look great in it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Sadly this is the way Marella cruises seem to be going.  Too many people with the attitude  " I'll wear what I  like , I'll smoke were I want to , even on my balcony,  It's my holiday, I'll do what I want.  " 

We found lots of these types of people on our last cruise with Marella. They have absolutely no consideration for crew or other passengers. 

The language of some of the people we came across left a lot to be desired. 

We always loved our Thomson cruises and dressing up on the formal nights.  Many people still do make the effort to dress appropriately and respect the crew but some others make me ashamed to be British. 

The CDs and ACDs must take some of the blame for this holiday camp type of behaviour by encouraging screaming and shouting in the lounges and around the pool. Don't get me started on blaring music. The sound in the theatre is so loud it distorts the music and singing ( well actually some of the singers are really awful ).  CDs in the past were fun but much more professional in their attitude to entertainment.

I agree some people may be deliberately turning up to the Dress to Impress Night to provoke a reaction. Best to ignore them and continue to make the effort.  It's they who should feel uncomfortable not you. And please continue to wear your kilt. I'm sure you look great in it.

In defence of Marella I would say a lot of those things apply to P&O too plus disrespect and plain nastiness toward the crew.

I do agree that enforcement of dress codes is essential however think about the staff, should they be put in the position of possibly being assaulted for doing their jobs,

I don't mind smoking in designated areas because smokers are addicted to a drug and can't help themselves. Smoking on balconies presents a danger to the lives of everyone on the ship and is a health and safety issue. If the next door cabin are smoking on their balcony have a quiet word with reception, don't rant, that gets you nowhere. If the problem is not sorted escalate the issue all the way to the captain if necessary.

I remember on P&O Oceana nearly tripping over a frayed carpet in the starlights lounge, reported it several times and it never got fixed, some tape would have done the job. I suppose they were waiting for someone to trip and break a leg, or their head, before doing something about it!

Of course other cruise lines are available but maybe they won't be any better!

Edited by davecttr

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I think the itinerary makes a difference.On our E1 Iceland cruise,most adhered to the dress code.On D2 last year in the Med,not quite so.

Yes we were on that one too and I thought there was quite a good turn out of DJs and others had clearly made an effort. Nice evening.

Whilst I understand it's not everyone's bag, I find the saddest part of this is the passenger who chose to dress smartly on every other evening but decided to go as casually as possible for the DTI - clearly making a point.  Why dress less smartly than other evenings?  Sad that people find it necessary to do that.  Symptomatic of the 'I'll do as I want mentality' irrespective of any respect for any one else.  In this case, particularly respect for the Marella staff who are put in a dilemma - do we challenge it or not?  Says more about the person concerned than those who may comment about it being inappropriate.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes we were on that one too and I thought there was quite a good turn out of DJs and others had clearly made an effort. Nice evening.

Whilst I understand it's not everyone's bag, I find the saddest part of this is the passenger who chose to dress smartly on every other evening but decided to go as casually as possible for the DTI - clearly making a point.  Why dress less smartly than other evenings?  Sad that people find it necessary to do that.  Symptomatic of the 'I'll do as I want mentality' irrespective of any respect for any one else.  In this case, particularly respect for the Marella staff who are put in a dilemma - do we challenge it or not?  Says more about the person concerned than those who may comment about it being inappropriate.  

The only downside was when a glass of wine slid across the table in a gale force 10 and emptied all over my dinner suit,lol.

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The only downside was when a glass of wine slid across the table in a gale force 10 and emptied all over my dinner suit,lol.

It was a bit bumpy wasn't it?  Given the sea state I thought the ship handled well and the Capt did well making decisions to find rather less stormy routes.  I was surprised how many were dining some nights!  Perhaps like me they were popping the Stugeron!  😁

Onboard Fred ships the dress code on the few Formal Evenings is strictly upheld by staff, at least in the MDRs.

And the staff on Formal Evenings are equally "formally" dressed.

Edited by edinburgher

You should have been on E2 last week, saw some very under dressed people. Many had gone into TA for a last minute cheapy and come out with a cruise. Lots of moaning as they didn't know what to expect, you should have heard the comments when they had to put their luggage out the night before!  Hopefully will be better this week.  The good news is that we are in Chania and it's 32 degrees! E2 is a lovely ship, will report more when we get back.