Cabin Amenities

RumpunchGirl

19 hours ago, frosts said:

What are the hair dryers like?  I will be on the Sunrise.  Do they have a hair

dryer in the locker rooms?

Don't know about the locker rooms, but the hairdryers in the cabins on Sunrise won't do if you are picky.  They have two temp settings; burning hot or barely warm and two speed settings; so low as to not matter and says high but isn't.  

20 hours ago, frosts said:

What are the hair dryers like?  I will be on the Sunrise.  Do they have a hair

dryer in the locker rooms?

How well they work varies, according to all the talk I've seen. My wife has brought her own and used the one in the cabin. It's kind of a crap shoot. Since Sunrise was recently refitted, I don't know if hairdryers would've been something they replaced or not. In interior cabins (not sure about other), the hair dryers are in a drawer in the desk near the vanity mirror, not in the bathroom. They can't be moved.

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

should I bring my own hairdryer????

If you have a nice one, probably.  If you have long or thick hair, probably.  

I don't dry my hair much at home, so the ones on the ship are ok, because I'm not used to anything better.  But if you are used to more powerful/nicer ones, the ones on the ship may disappoint. 

The "must hold the button" requirement is for fire safety.  A running hair dryer, when placed on any surface, is a fire hazard waiting to happen.  In a hotel, if there's a fire, you run outside into the street.  Where do you run on a ship?  ...  Exactly!

The ships I sailed on didn't have hair dryers.  But my hair is very short.  A quick rub with a towel does the job.  That, or going onto the Lido deck and using the nature's hair dryer: sun and wind.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

5 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

The "must hold the button" requirement is for fire safety.  A running hair dryer, when placed on any surface, is a fire hazard waiting to happen.  In a hotel, if there's a fire, you run outside into the street.  Where do you run on a ship?  ...  Exactly!

The ships I sailed on didn't have hair dryers.  But my hair is very short.  A quick rub with a towel does the job.  That, or going onto the Lido deck and using the nature's hair dryer: sun and wind.

Curious as to which ships did no have one. 

6 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I don't think my wife has ever set her hairdryer down when it's running. She'll set a curling iron or straightening iron down, but those are made with small stands to do just that. But when she's at the hairdryer stage, she doesn't put it down until she's done. I just thought that was normal.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the safety button. I've just never heard of women setting them down while they're still on. Where do I run on the ship? Anywhere the fire is not. For a hairdryer fire, I'd just put it out with the Carnival beach towel. But I'm not paying the $22 for it.

5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

A rubber band is not something we normally pack to go on a cruise.  😉

A shoelace then? 😄

6 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I don't know of anyone that puts a hair dryer down while drying their hair.  You blow dry it until it's dry, then you shut it off and lay it down.  

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Curious as to which ships did no have one. 

Fantasy class ships have hair dryers by default only in suites.  In other cabins, you have to ask your steward for them, and the supply is limited.  (Maybe this changed in the last year or so, when most of these ships were dry-docked.)  I have very short hair, so I didn't bother to look for it in my cabin; I made do either with a towel or by standing outside.

I think newer ships have hair dryers by default in all cabins, but don't take my word for it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01