Post Brexit Port Traffic

ToxM

This is not a political post!

Watching Channel 4 news last night and saw a report from the emergency preparedness services in Hampshite who are expressing extreme concern about where they are going to place the 2000 lorries a day that come to the port, when the port has only 200 parking spaces. 

Seeing as how they are going to use motorways around Kent to park up backlogs and knowing the mess Southampton traffic is anyway, and expecting there to be some issue in Southampton no matter what type of deal happens (if it happens on 31st October...). 

We’ve reserved a hotel room in Southampton for our 15th November cruise. We can cancel the day before with no penalty if everything looks smooth, but just a heads up that if you are embarking while there is the possibility of there being disruption on roads then it might well be worth booking a hotel so you can get to Southampton and then no chance of being held up. 

I’m not trying to scaremonger, just trying to make sure I get on the ship.

9 hours ago, ToxM said:

This is not a political post!

Watching Channel 4 news last night and saw a report from the emergency preparedness services in Hampshite who are expressing extreme concern about where they are going to place the 2000 lorries a day that come to the port, when the port has only 200 parking spaces. 

Seeing as how they are going to use motorways around Kent to park up backlogs and knowing the mess Southampton traffic is anyway, and expecting there to be some issue in Southampton no matter what type of deal happens (if it happens on 31st October...). 

We’ve reserved a hotel room in Southampton for our 15th November cruise. We can cancel the day before with no penalty if everything looks smooth, but just a heads up that if you are embarking while there is the possibility of there being disruption on roads then it might well be worth booking a hotel so you can get to Southampton and then no chance of being held up. 

I’m not trying to scaremonger, just trying to make sure I get on the ship.

Wise to think ahead... 

None of us know what will happen but it doesn't hurt to make contingency plans. 

That's enough about politics though, let's look forward to the festive season... 

Only 2 Prime Ministers til Christmas... 😊🎅🎄

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

As far as I can see there are no roll on roll off ferries to the continent from Southampton. It is all container ship, last year only a quarter of which went to the EU.

so can't see why you it should be like Dover.

Apparently Portsmouth council disagree with you

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/government-accused-of-lying-to-portsmouth-over-no-deal-brexit-chaos-at-port-after-document-leak-reveals-vehicles-will-be-turned-away-1-9074997

This was mentioned in a piece by Ch4 news the other night. 

As for which century decade etc I am cruising in, as my original post was made yesterday I am sure you can work it out, the clue is in my original post.

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry we are talking about Southampton not Portsmouth.  Portsmouth has ferries to France and Spain,  Southampton doesn't 

We have the IOW ferry and the Hythe ferry here in Southampton, but I doubt they will be affected by Brexit. 😊

We also have a fantastic little pink ferry crossing the river Hamble to Warsash, very useful for an interesting pub crawl... Who needs Europe when we have such delights on our doorstep. 

Andy 

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

Apparently Portsmouth council disagree with you

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/government-accused-of-lying-to-portsmouth-over-no-deal-brexit-chaos-at-port-after-document-leak-reveals-vehicles-will-be-turned-away-1-9074997

This was mentioned in a piece by Ch4 news the other night. 

As for which century decade etc I am cruising in, as my original post was made yesterday I am sure you can work it out, the clue is in my original post.

I can only see this being a problem if the lorry checks are being undertaken by channel 4 news personnel, waving their cameras and microphones about and asking the drivers stupid questions. 😉

Can those of you who live near Southampton keep us posted if there are any issues with traffic on or after the 31st please. It would also be extremely comforting to hear if it is all business as usual, (in fact I would prefer that news 😀)

There are a lot of dire hints in the news up here about motorway chaos and it is a bit concerning if you don’t know the area fully and how this could impact on getting to your ship. (Its a bit like if the Clacks Bridge closes, means nothing to anyone down south but it shuts down a big chunk of central Scotland).

Local knowledge would be helpful.

The main travel to Portsmouth traffic from the north or London area goes down the M3 then along the M27 (and vice versa), so passes Southampton and not that long before getting to Portsmouth.  The M3 from Winchester to Southampton always seems busy at the best of times, as I am sure you all know, so could have a knock on effect.  I think I would be booking a hotel nearer to Southampton docks than the Winchester one where stayed in August.

There have been some road works going into Southampton from the motorway for some time now.  We got caught in them both late last year and in August, though not so bad in August as we headed there a bit earlier.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1