Getting off the ship at trips end

Spanky My

A couple days before disembarkation you'll get a form to fill out. The from has a series of options to check off all the way from "early flight [listing your time]" to "ship transfer to airport" to "independent". You turn that in and then you'll receive luggage tags along with a timetable for when each color will be called. You're requested to leave your bags outside your door at a certain time the time before disembarkation (although you can keep them with you if you're in a hurry.)

In the morning you collect your passports - or sometimes if the ship doesn't need to be cleared you can get them the night before. The ship will call the groups by number and off you go. The bags will be on the pier for you to pick up.

Generally, the "independent" group has a long window all the way up to when they through you off, which is generally somewhere around 9am.  If we aren't in a hurry we'll stay in veranda until they throw us out. If we want off early we'll go ahead and disembark on the early side of our group. Warning in some ports taxis are in short supply and there can be quite a queue for a taxi - Dublin, I'm talking about you. Ditto Osaka.

In terms of "too early to check in" I see no way to make that work, you'll always off by early morning, way before check in, so plan to resister, leave your bags and go out for the day.

We have always kept our bags (22 inch roller bags plus carryon bag) and disembarked with our luggage. On our Panama Canal trip, we were the last ones off the ship @ 8:30 am. On the other cruises we were off no ,after than 8:30 am as well. It’s sad to leave but that’s why you book another cruise! 😉

4 minutes ago, Spanky My said:

Thanks Folks for the reply. Our trip is a panama canal trip as well so I think we will shoot for 8:30 am. Thanks

If you're thinking of prebooking a cab for a certain time just let reception know and they can help coordinate. I'd start off the ship maybe 10 minutes before the schedule arrival, as it can take a little bit to get off if there's a line - always short - and then find your bags in the stack. My motto is to always be a bit early.

How wise Ski Mom 2, yip you leave to rebook. That is us in a nutshell.  I think you have to be off the ship by 9. I  always  drop  my bags off  at the hotel, they are always nice about keeping them in the lock up room. If I am in the Carib I hit the beach or if it Is a city I go and explore. I must brag I am a champion traveler, have only used carry ons for 30 years of traveling. I have the European carry on size, rolls, and weighs 3 lbs. However I must  admit I love  the WS laundry and on  recent trip to Norway, sadly not  WS A supply ship, we needed rain gear and sweaters plus we brought gifts so  the first  time  in 30 years we checked. Happy Sailing.

1 hour ago, Spanky My said:

Thanks Folks for the reply. Our trip is a panama canal trip as well so I think we will shoot for 8:30 am. Thanks

We ended our Panama Canal Cruise in Costa Rica. We did not book any taxi/car service ahead of time. The WS folks told us we would be able to walk off the ship and find a taxi waiting. We were indeed the last family off and luckily there was one taxi left!