New California law about sailing slowly for mammal protection

tjcletzgo

6 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Unidentified "they" pushing for an unattainable "it"?  In the US Forbes magazine is considered a mainstream business magazine but recently ran this article that included a video produced by a major enrivonmental activist group.  Cruise Ship Pollution Is Causing Serious Health And Environmental Problems

Actually Forbes is right leaning.  But I do respect them.

I don't really understand why people are so angry about this rule. Apart from obviously not wanting to kill whales, whale carcases are a biohazard. Too many decomposing whales in one places can be a real hazard to the ecosystem and a real problem to human health especially if you like swimming in the beach😉. Also they have a habit of attracting scavengers like sharks which is a problem if you like surfing. So anything that reduces whale caracases in the bay area has more benefits than the slight headache that it might give ships having to slow down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't really understand why people are so angry about this rule. Apart from obviously not wanting to kill whales, whale carcases are a biohazard. Too many decomposing whales in one places can be a real hazard to the ecosystem and a real problem to human health especially if you like swimming in the beach😉. Also they have a habit of attracting scavengers like sharks which is a problem if you like surfing. So anything that reduces whale caracases in the bay area has more benefits than the slight headache that it might give ships having to slow down.

We have had several dead whales washing up on our beaches this year. They are an environmental problem that is expensive to resolve. Quite a bit of media time has been dedicated to these incidents. In most cases attempts are made to haul the carcass out to sea and do whatever is necessary to sink it to the sea bottom where it can be reclaimed by nature's scavengers.

Occasionally, the carcass is so decomposed that hauling it away is impossible, so digging a large, deep hole is necessary to bury it far below the expected low level of the beach surface. That often is quite difficult due to access for large construction type equipment needed to dig the hole and push the carcass in.  

In more public beach areas, the odor of a decomposing whale can be very overpowering. Never a good situation to have to deal with.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I have never hit any, nor would I come out of it unscathed if I did. Positively stupid question to ask based on the comment your are sesponding to.  

And I course I realize that sailboats aren't the target of these new laws. I don't understand why you would even assume that I thought so. It's insulting that you think I am that ignorant. 😠

You are the one that brought up your sailing experience with regards to these rules

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

You are the one that brought up your sailing experience with regards to these rules

You need to take a reading comprehension class. Here is what I said:

"As a long time owner of sailboats, I applaud this direction. Nothing more amazing as being on a 35 ft sailboat watching a 60 ft whale glide by at eye level."

I am clearly on the side of the whales. Not sure why you are challenging those comments. 🙄

Edited by sloopsailor

20 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

You need to take a reading comprehension class. Here is what I said:

"As a long time owner of sailboats, I applaud this direction. Nothing more amazing as being on a 35 ft sailboat watching a 60 ft whale glide by at eye level."

I am clearly on the side of the whales. Not sure why you are challenging those comments. 🙄

Again, what does being a sailboat owner have to do with it?

And did you read the comments that most that get hit have serious health issues?

2 hours ago, SRF said:

And did you read the comments that most that get hit have serious health issues?

According to local marine experts, that is not the case in most of the struck whales we have seen along our coast this year. Over half were in good health. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1