Packages and Shore EX

PSULion

Hi all,

I understand I can't buy one of the "Indulgence" packages prior to boarding, but since I am 99.9% certain I will buy the top package, is there any way to use have the cost of pre-boarding booked shore excursions paid for by the package after I board.

Thanks, John R.

Yes, you can speak to Land Discoveries and USUALLY they will reverse the transaction, some staff are more willing than others to help.  I had to involve the Guest Relations Manager to get the right switch made but it did eventually happen (that was in late 2018 so should be the correct answer for today).

I have purchased the Indulgence Package before boarding for several cruises (my TA took care of it).  The OBC for shore excursions was posted to my account and I was able to use it immediately.

I want to use ship credit to buy a package since my TA gave me OBC instead of the Premium Beverage Package since it can not be upgraded to the Ultimate. 

I guess I can't use OBC to buy any package prior to boarding, meaning I can't use OBC to purchase excursions without requesting a credit from Land Discovery staff (with dodgy results apparently). John R.

7 minutes ago, PSULion said:

I want to use ship credit to buy a package since my TA gave me OBC instead of the Premium Beverage Package since it can not be upgraded to the Ultimate. 

I guess I can't use OBC to buy any package prior to boarding, meaning I can't use OBC to purchase excursions without requesting a credit from Land Discovery staff (with dodgy results apparently). John R.

That is my experience - but the trick is one try at Land Discoveries then ask the Guest Relations to get involved (you will have been to them to buy the package in the first instance)

Its all too much of a headache. I don't want to deal with this on-board (i'll potentially get too annoyed). I guess I'll just risk spending the Land Discoveries monies on-board. Thanks for the info so I can avoid the issue.

John R.

1 minute ago, PSULion said:

Its all too much of a headache. I don't want to deal with this on-board (i'll potentially get too annoyed). I guess I'll just risk spending the Land Discoveries monies on-board. Thanks for the info so I can avoid the issue.

John R.

I would give it one go to switch it onboard you might be fine, maybe the staff you meet will have learned.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

You cannot buy the package before boarding if you want to use OBC -  this is what I have been advised again last week when I called

But do you mean if you want to exchange the package OBC to pay for an excursion you have already bought, so you can be refunded what you have paid for the excursion?

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

7 minutes ago, Richteab said:

Can someone please clarify for this newbie? If I buy a drinks package online now, which says it includes “shore excursion credit of $x” can I use it now to book and buy excursions?

Yes, if you buy one of the Experience More packages that include OBC specifically for Shore Excursions,  you can spend the OBC on excursions more or less as soon as you have bought the package. It will show up in your Voyage Planner.

3 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, if you buy one of the Experience More packages that include OBC specifically for Shore Excursions,  you can spend the OBC on excursions more or less as soon as you have bought the package. It will show up in your Voyage Planner.

Thank you for the info

5 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

That has been my experience as well.

That is if you buy the package with cash/credit card, I understand you can't use OBC to buy a package prior to boarding, or at least I can't figure out how to do it. Therefore, you can't use the shore ex credit prior to boarding. John R.

I think 2 separate things have been discussed here. As I now understand it the original question by PSULion was about using OBC to buy one of the Experience More packages, then being able to get back the cost of any pre-booked shore excursions. The answer given by uktog was that you can’t buy the package using OBC until you are onboard and it’s usually possible to get money back for pre-booked excursions by talking to the Shorex staff on board, but it’s not guaranteed. I think I’ve now got that right, haven’t I, uktog? 

The second question by Richteab was whether if you buy the package beforehand, can you use the shore excursion OBC straightaway. The answer to that (from me and Mackdogmolly) was that the Shorex OBC appears in your Voyage Planner soon after you’ve bought the package and can then be used to by shore excursions.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

PSULion (I"m one too!) - if your agent is giving you the OBC, it will be refundable at the end of the cruise if you don't spend it.  So, if you are concerned about getting the excursions that you want, buy the package, use the shore ex credit and, if you don't spend anything onboard, you will walk away with a credit at the end of the cruise.

I'm basically can never figure out what OBC is refundable and not refundable as some seems to come from the TA and some directly from Azamara. When I board, can I get a summary of OBC from the front desk before I buy a package? I have lots of OBC coming from about 3 or 4 different entities (AZ, TA, AMEX, and stock ownership benefit). Actually I am surprised they all stacked, but I won't complain. 

John R.

18 minutes ago, PSULion said:

I'm basically can never figure out what OBC is refundable and not refundable as some seems to come from the TA and some directly from Azamara. When I board, can I get a summary of OBC from the front desk before I buy a package? I have lots of OBC coming from about 3 or 4 different entities (AZ, TA, AMEX, and stock ownership benefit). Actually I am surprised they all stacked, but I won't complain. 

John R.

It should also show up on your account you can access through the TV.  Refundable will be noted as "OBC-R."  We usually also have a letter in our cabin with our OBC and the source.  At a minimum, your TA OBC should be refundable, but the Azamara OBC will not be.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, uktog said:

The one thing, you cannot purchase it before boarding if you are wanting to use OBC

For a  forthcoming cruise we have a large OBC from AZ and upgrading to the Indulgence Package looks very attractive.

Can I clarify the following, 

1: I cannot book the Indulgence Package before we board and use the OBC, paying only the outstanding difference towards the package?

2: I can purchase the Package today and tomorrow book my tours to the value of $700 from Package allowance, then board and get them applied against the OBC?

3: I can wait until I board, upgrade the Package using the OBC  then and ultimately run the risk of not getting the tours we would like?

It all seems overly complicated.

Comments, adivce and opinions welcome.

Hi Dylandude, Let me try to clarify your options. 

1: I cannot book the Indulgence Package before we board and use the OBC, paying only the outstanding difference towards the package? correct...OBC is only usable against a shore excursion purchase at present.

2: I can purchase the Package today and tomorrow book my tours to the value of $700 from Package allowance, then board and get them applied against the OBC? Yes, if you wait to buy an Experience More package onboard, you can book shorex today, then board and reverse/rebook onboard using the package’s OBC. However if you buy the Experience More package pre-cruise then the package’s OBC will be available pre-cruise.

3: I can wait until I board, upgrade the Package using the OBC  then and ultimately run the risk of not getting the tours we would like? Yes. So if it were me, I’d reserve the must-have tours pre-cruise using my own resources. Then board and buy the package I want with the OBC I already had. Then use the new OBC credits obtained to reverse the out-of-pocket expenditures on those must-have tours purchased pre-cruise. 

• Like 1