Bringing Drinks Onboard

jandst

6 hours ago, jandst said:

$15.00 when no one helps or serves you?  

Are you bringing your own stem ware  and washing them ?  Are you disposing of the bottle and cork in proper recycling?  Truly, even with the $15 dollar fee, it can be so much cheaper than the cheapest bottle of wine on board....

1 hour ago, Vyhanek said:

She's not talking about bringing drinks to the restaurants onboard!   what about that don't you understand.   She's talking about bringing drinks to her cabin.   When she checks in, having drinks in her room.   What don't you get about that?

Just like in a hotel, where drinks to your own hotel room are not confiscated.    

Hotels don't regulate food or drink you bring to your room.    How can cruise ships.   That's her point......which is clear.

Some hotels does regulate food and drinks.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Many cruise lines, Carnival and Celebrity specifically (that I've done this on), do allow each adult passenger to bring on one bottle of wine per person free, up to two per cabin. If you bring one more than one then the extra wine is confiscated the way liquor would be and held until the end of the cruise. They don't allow you to bring one more than one for an extra fee. I do think that if you bring that bottle to the main dining room your server will charge a corkage fee but will serve the wine to you and store it if you don't finish it. You can however, drink the bottles in your room for free and your room steward will supply a wine opener and wine glasses upon request.

And if you go on their forums there's plenty of threads about cheating the system by splitting up when you go through security so each can bring on the cabin allowance. 

I believe NCL also stores the wine you don't finish (I know they do it with bottles you buy). 

19 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I believe NCL also stores the wine you don't finish (I know they do it with bottles you buy). 

Absolutely correct about NCL storing your bottle of unfinished wine for you.  

I only drink wine, so, if I decide to book a sailaway cabin (any cat.) I will simply buy a wine package (Viva Vino) and have my wine brought to my table at dinner or my current bar anywhere on the ship.  

Works great for me. 

Cheers

36 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I only drink wine, so, if I decide to book a sailaway cabin (any cat.) I will simply buy a wine package (Viva Vino) and have my wine brought to my table at dinner or my current bar anywhere on the ship.  

Works great for me. 

Cheers

And they will happily store and bring to you wine you bring onboard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doverboy said:

A bottle is marked up a bit but you can order and it will be waiting in your cabin

Marked up a BIT?  On myNCL Matua Sauv. Blanc is $44.10....  Just bought it locally for $5.67....  If we don't take the beverage package, we always carry on local wine and pay the 'corkage'.  We just add it to the price of the wine.  We get to drink cool local wine for less than the very ordinary wine on the ship......  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Works great for me. 

Cheers

If you buy the Viva Vino package (I’ve never heard of this) do you still pay a cork fee?   

17 minutes ago, jandst said:

If you buy the Viva Vino package (I’ve never heard of this) do you still pay a cork fee?   

No because you're buying it from NCL. Corkage fee is only for wine you don't buy from NCL and instead choose to bring on board. 

(If you buy wine in port they store it for you until the end of the cruise so no corkage for that since you won't be consuming it onboard).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, azcruise said:

Marked up a BIT?  On myNCL Matua Sauv. Blanc is $44.10....  Just bought it locally for $5.67....  If we don't take the beverage package, we always carry on local wine and pay the 'corkage'.  We just add it to the price of the wine.  We get to drink cool local wine for less than the very ordinary wine on the ship......  

Interesting that you mention Matua. It's included in the Yacht Club on MSC and we enjoyed it there for dinner. We were happy to see it for around $11 in our liquorstores in Sweden.

If you want to bring a bottle or two of your own wine, pack it in your suitcase. We did that and it made it to our room just fine. We found also that if you buy more than one bottle at a port and bring it onboard that they will tell you to check the alcohol at a separate desk. When you go to the desk you can produce a single bottle of wine to be checked and take the other back to the stateroom. Believe me, we bought enough wine onboard to make up for the few bottles we brought, but it was nice to get a break on a few bottles! I didn't book the drink package (big mistake).

I understand NCL's rule and it is certainly not a decision factor for us as to whether to take a cruise, but we do appreciate being able to take 2 bottles of wine on Royal and Carnival - no corkage fee. 

Enjoy. 🍷