Are there any carb counts for Carnivals food?

Jgatts0212

Just wondering if anyone has come across anything that has the carb counts of the food?  My daughter is a type 1 diabetic, and was wondering if there was something out there to help her out.  We are leaving in February on the Horizon, which is the same ship she was diagnosed on.  Just looking to see if I can make it easier on a 12 year old.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by Jgatts0212

5 hours ago, Jgatts0212 said:

Just wondering if anyone has come across anything that has the carb counts of the food?  My daughter is a type 1 diabetic, and was wondering if there was something out there to help her out.  We are leaving in February on the Horizon, which is the same ship she was diagnosed on.  Just looking to see if I can make it easier on a 12 year old.

Thanks for any information.

Your TA or PVP can request nutrition info when they fill out your special needs form, which she should have as someone with a chronic medical issue. 

Keep in mind that it will be a guide as a commercial kitchen has many inconsistencies.  Enjoy your cruise! 

My son is also a T1D.  I have contacted guest services, filled out the medical forms, emailed maitre d's, and also consulted both TA's and PVP's regarding his medical condition.  The bottom line is that there are no carb counts for foods in the DR.  There are sugar free options for desserts.  We have found the food on each ship to cause higher BG's than with food at home.  Many restaurants, Carnival dining included, add sugar to their foods to make them more tasty.  For example, adding sugar to red sauces or gravies.  We have never had our server or anyone come out and consult with us on the menu or any food items.  By the 2nd day, we had it down in terms of the higher sugar levels and treatment.  Your room steward will provide a sharps container, free of charge.  That's about it.  But with all that said, we have enjoyed each cruise and remembered that there might be intense surges and drops as a result of high glycemic values to restaurant food.  If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

I have been a T1D since I was 11 years old. There used to be a book, I don't know if they still make the print version anymore, called the Calorie King Carbohydrate Counter. It helped me so much in determining the nutritional values in foods. I believe they have it in an app you can purchase and download to your smart devices now. I highly recommend it. 

It offers nutritional information for restaurants, individual food items such as potatoes, apples, etc. and even breaks the items down by size such as small, medium, and large. It is a great guide to use for a newly diagnosed T1D to help with learning what is in different foods. After a few years, it becomes much easier to eyeball and estimate carb counts, but the apps are always helpful. 

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

4 hours ago, CruizCuz said:

My son is also a T1D.  I have contacted guest services, filled out the medical forms, emailed maitre d's, and also consulted both TA's and PVP's regarding his medical condition.  The bottom line is that there are no carb counts for foods in the DR.  There are sugar free options for desserts.  We have found the food on each ship to cause higher BG's than with food at home.  Many restaurants, Carnival dining included, add sugar to their foods to make them more tasty.  For example, adding sugar to red sauces or gravies.  We have never had our server or anyone come out and consult with us on the menu or any food items.  By the 2nd day, we had it down in terms of the higher sugar levels and treatment.  Your room steward will provide a sharps container, free of charge.  That's about it.  But with all that said, we have enjoyed each cruise and remembered that there might be intense surges and drops as a result of high glycemic values to restaurant food.  If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help.  It is appreciated.  I didn't think about the sugar additions to food.  That will help.  Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

I tried to find the app in the Google app store and didn't see it so it may not be available anymore, but the book is still available. Here is what it looks like. 

Screenshot_20191006-102329_Amazon Shopping.jpg

We have all the apps.  Thanks for your help.  We have gotten good at estimating carbs, and basal rates.  I was just wondering if Carnival had something for their food that was consistent across the cruise line.

1 hour ago, Jgatts0212 said:

We have all the apps.  Thanks for your help.  We have gotten good at estimating carbs, and basal rates.  I was just wondering if Carnival had something for their food that was consistent across the cruise line.

While they have standard recipes, the chefs can tweak them so there is nothing consistent. If you talk to the Maitre D, they will help you out and work with the menu so that eating won't be an issue.

3 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Pardon me for asking, but do you have Type 1 or Type 2. There is a very big difference

I think the point of the post is that he found what worked for him, not depending on a guide that may or may not be accurate depending on the chef of the day.

Myself, I can tell through experience what may or may not have a lot of carbs, proteins, or fats. If unsure, I can stay away or ask. I always take answers from anyone other than the chef with a grain of salt. 

I have been a T1D for 25+ years.  I have gotten very good at estimating carb count over the years, and I have found on cruises that I tend to overestimate the carb count and underestimate my activity level, resulting in more of a tendency to go low vs high when cruising.

May I ask what sort of BG testing and insulin delivery your kid is using?  Since switching from fingersticks and MDI to a pump integrated with the Dexcom G6 CGM (Tandem T-slim X2 with X-Drip) that auto suspends basal insulin if trending or actually low, it has made a huge difference.

They do make it hard on us T1Ds by not having a carb number available.  I will add if your kiddo is on fingersticks for BG measurement, test early and often and keep track of IOB and correction bolus or eat snacks as needed to prevent highs and lows.

Edited by K&RCurt
  • Thanks 1