Greenland

SandyR5

Here are some photos from Qaqortoq.  It is a larger town with better paved streets.  It is not as flat as Nanortalik and you are walking either up or down in every direction.  We walked the town and some of the surrounding streets to view the Stone and Man lithographs on the rocks.  There are many across from the dock and there are others all through the town and surrounding areas.  The fish market was a gathering area for the locals and the "catch" was very interesting.  We had lunch with the locals at "the best hot dog stand in Greenland" just across from the dock.   It was good and we enjoyed our experience.  There were lots of icebergs in the bay as we sailed out of town in both towns.

DSC02673.JPG

DSC02674.JPG

DSC02675.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02714.JPG

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02768.JPG

DSC02780.JPG

DSC02787.JPG

DSC02797.JPG

Thanks for all of the information.  It is really helpful.  Sorry but I have a few more questions.

How long was the tender ride in Nanortalik and Qaqortoq?  I had read that Qaqortoq is "long" but not sure what the means.

Also do you have any photos of Nuuk including the port area?

Appreciate the information.

Sorry, we did not go to Nuuk on our trip.  I'm going to say it was about 10-15 minutes for the tender at most.  We had to wait to unload as there was a second ship in and only one dock in both ports.  We were on the Pacific Princess and the other ships were small, as well, so there was no congestion issue in port.   I remember it was slower going back to the ship in Qaqortoq as it was starting to rain and the water was pretty choppy...my Husband took a big wave in the face through the window on the side of the boat and got soaked.  LOL.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:51 AM, worldtraveller said:

Thanks for all of the information.  It is really helpful.  Sorry but I have a few more questions.

How long was the tender ride in Nanortalik and Qaqortoq?  I had read that Qaqortoq is "long" but not sure what the means.

Also do you have any photos of Nuuk including the port area?

Appreciate the information.

Qaqotoq was about a 10-15 min ride but then the pier could only handle one tender which meant that folks could find themselves bobbing about in the sea for another 5-30 min until the pier was open.  Nanortalik was a shorter ride with the pier able to handle two tenders.  As we have previously posted, Greenland is not a good place to visit on a large ship unless you like tender delays.

Hank