Greenland

SandyR5

On 10/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, SandyR5 said:

We’re good. We have a balcony and we usually sit out, read and enjoy the views. We’ve never done HAL. We stick to Celebrity, but they haven’t started an itinerary that includes Greenland. 

Celebrity Summit has Eastbound and Westbound TAs in August that sail to Greenland

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Just checked it out. I was SO hopeful, but it’s actually about the same price as Oceania. In Greenland you tender. The ports can only deal with 1 tender at a time. I’d much prefer being on a small ship which can disembark everyone in a relatively short time, compared to a ship like Summit.  I assumed it would be about half the price that Oceania is, like Princess.  Thanks so much though for posting this information. 

10 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Thanks for that information. I will check that out now. I don’t think we could do all the sea days that TA’s usually have, but this might be perfect. Thanks. 

There is a good mixture of port and sea days - 7 at sea on a 14 night cruise - and no more that two in a row.

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

HAL is going to Greenland (3 ports, none of which are Nuuk) in 2021, on 26 July, 12 August, and 29 August (17-day cruise). There are also SEVEN Canadian ports and Bar Harbor Maine. The ship is the Rotterdam (1404-1685 passengers) sailing R/T Boston. 

It's the 17-Day Greenland, Newfoundland & New England Discovery.

For this year, there is the 19-day Viking Passage/Europe Trans-Atlantic from Copenhagen to Boston, sailing 19 August, and visiting Norway, Iceland, two ports Greenland, three Canadian. Ship is Zuiderdam (1970-2364 passengers). We're booked and will need to add 2-3 days pre-cruise to get to Copenhagen. It's more expensive, but for me it's like three cruises in one. Getting at least a taste of Norway/Iceland/Greenland before the Polar Code.

The Rotterdam itinerary is somewhat interesting, but I'd rather have one with Iceland, Faroes, Shetland isles, possibly some Norway. I'm not as interested in Canada and NE...  Also it concerns me that they are not cruising Prince Christian Sound.

Is the Voyage of the Vikings listed for 2021?  I can't take enough time off to do the entire thing, and in the past I think they only do 1 or 2 Greenland ports each way.

Edited to add:  Just found the VoV 2021 listing -- it is almost the same cost as the Oceania Sirena and Sirena has a better itinerary and timing for me.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Yes the Faroe and Shetland Isles would be very interesting, but I figure they will always be there, while the very northern sites may be out of my reach financially when they go to small expeditions vessels only.

With dr'spin retiring (14 work days to go!) -- my plans after disembarking in Boston are to rent a camper and have a little roadtrip to see my family and the sites in upstate New York. Maybe go all the way to Thousand Islands on the St.Lawrence.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the questions and contributions to this topic.  I have been casually looking at going to Greenland (HAL in 2021) and the info provided is very helpful.  For example, I did not know about the upcoming ban on larger ships.

Thanks again and happy sailing!

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Yes the Faroe and Shetland Isles would be very interesting, but I figure they will always be there, while the very northern sites may be out of my reach financially when they go to small expeditions vessels only.

True, I only recently figured out that Iceland and the Norwegian coast is not included in the Polar Ice initiative (or whatever it's called). So getting to Greenland is a priority. Initially I had thought I'd need to be sure that Iceland at least was also included.

On the other hand, if the ship missed Greenland due to weather issues (which happens), the rest of the NE/Newfoundland itinerary would be very "meh" for me.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is the Voyage of the Vikings listed for 2021?  I can't take enough time off to do the entire thing, and in the past I think they only do 1 or 2 Greenland ports each way.

Edited to add:  Just found the VoV 2021 listing -- it is almost the same cost as the Oceania Sirena and Sirena has a better itinerary and timing for me.

Besides HAL's VOV, they do a similar one-way itinerary called the Viking Passage.  When we did it in 2018, it started in Copenhagen and went to NY by way of Norway (Alesund), Iceland (five ports), Greenland (3 ports, but we had to skip one because of weather delays) plus Prince Christian Sund, and then a couple of ports in Canada.   It was a fabulous adventure.   [I think the more recent Viking Passage itineraries might not be as expansive.]

enhance

(Prince Christian Sund, turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Besides HAL's VOV, they do a similar one-way itinerary called the Viking Passage.  When we did it in 2018, it started in Copenhagen and went to NY by way of Norway (Alesund), Iceland (five ports), Greenland (3 ports, but we had to skip one because of weather delays) plus Prince Christian Sund, and then a couple of ports in Canada.   It was a fabulous adventure. 

enhance

(Prince Christian Sund, turtles06)

It doesn't seem to be offered in 2021, or is not posted yet (which is possible, HAL just started uploading their mid-2021 and later itineraries over the weekend...)

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

You are all making me jealous.  We've been on two cruises with Greenland on the itinerary and both times we didn't make it to Greenland because of weather issues.

Can I ask what your dates were on those cruises?

I've heard it suggested that cruises earlier in the season are more apt to run into issues with ice and ones later have a better likelihood of getting there (although storms are still possible).

Just curious if your experience bears that out...?

Edited by cruisemom42

This won't help much.  One was early July, the other late September.  I remember one of them sailed through the remains of a hurricane that had hit Florida.

There wasn't an ice problem.  Just wind and heavy seas.

Edited by gooch47

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've heard it suggested that cruises earlier in the season are more apt to run into issues with ice and ones later have a better likelihood of getting there (although storms are still possible).

It's rare for polar bears to get that far south.  They only see them in Ilullisat once every couple of years.

I cannot speak to the tendering questions. I was on an expedition ship that was small enough to dock.

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

2 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

It's rare for polar bears to get that far south.  They only see them in Ilullisat once every couple of years.

I cannot speak to the tendering questions. I was on an expedition ship that was small enough to dock.

LOL, if you read my question, I wasn't asking about bears.  I wanted to know whether the poster's experience supported ("bears out") the conventional wisdom of having better luck with the weather later in the season.

Sorry for the confusion. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, cruisemom42 said:

It doesn't seem to be offered in 2021, or is not posted yet (which is possible, HAL just started uploading their mid-2021 and later itineraries over the weekend...)

I don't believe HAL can offer it anymore, since Greenland now falls within the Polar zone, and none of HAL's ships meet the new Polar Code for operating north of 60*n or south of 60*s.  Iceland is not in the polar zone, since it is washed by the Gulf Stream, but virtually all of Greenland is.  HAL's ships certificates for arctic waters run out in 2021.

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't believe HAL can offer it anymore, since Greenland now falls within the Polar zone, and none of HAL's ships meet the new Polar Code for operating north of 60*n or south of 60*s.  Iceland is not in the polar zone, since it is washed by the Gulf Stream, but virtually all of Greenland is.  HAL's ships certificates for arctic waters run out in 2021.

I actually did find it listed for 2021, eventually.  HAL shortened it by a day so it was falling outside the filter I used initially.

I think HAL is offering Greenland through the 2021 season with calls there on the Voyage of the Vikings itineraries and this one in July and August 2021. Does that sound correct?

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I actually did find it listed for 2021, eventually.  HAL shortened it by a day so it was falling outside the filter I used initially.

I think HAL is offering Greenland through the 2021 season with calls there on the Voyage of the Vikings itineraries and this one in July and August 2021. Does that sound correct?

Yes, I believe that is the final window for them in arctic waters.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

LOL, if you read my question, I wasn't asking about bears.  I wanted to know whether the poster's experience supported ("bears out") the conventional wisdom of having better luck with the weather later in the season.

Sorry for the confusion. 

Doh!  Sorry about that.  I have a bad cold, and my brain is foggy.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any photos of the port area where you get off the ship or tender for Nuuk,  Nanortalik or Qaqortoq? In Nuuk were there any services (wifi or stores) or did you have to go into town for that? How long of a walk is it into town in Nanortalik and Qaqortoq?  I thought I had seen photos on CC but I can't seem to find them.  Thanks for the help.

In Nuuk, it is a container port.  There was a tent with tourist information and a small snack tent.  The walk into town was about 1/2 hr at a moderate pace, some uphill.  The nearest store was really in the town.  The was a local bus and a tourist bus, but we just walked, so I don't know about that.  But there were lots of people waiting at bus stops.   There was some wifi at the local mall, but that is the only place I found any.

In Nanortalik(which is a tender port), it is about 15 minute walk to "town".  The are no sidewalks and it is a rough surfaces, it could be problematic for some.  There is not much in town but the surrounding area is nice for hiking. No wifi that I could find. 

Qaqortoq you are tendered right near the town square(basically a few benches and a fountain).  There is a nice store up the hill near the church.  No wifi that I found.  Very hilly if you go over a few blocks from tender. 

All the places are pretty rustic.  It is unlike any ports I have ever been to.  

I'll do two posts with pics.  These are from Nanortalik.  There is no public transportation and uneven paths.  The first pic shows the dock for the tenders.  We walked through the town and were fascinated by the stores and how the 1500 residents lived.  The highlight was the walk back through town and then through the residential area to the cemetery.  The view was spectacular and the colorful homes throughout the town were amazing.  It was unlike any other port we had ever visited.  I did not see wifi advertised anywhere.  There was only one little cafe and a coffee bar in one of the supermarkets.  Greenland is not included in our ATT phone plan so we were "offline" in port during this time.  We loved Nanortalik.

DSC02617.JPG

DSC02618.JPG

DSC02619.JPG

DSC02601.JPG

DSC02604.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

DSC02622.JPG

DSC02469.JPG

DSC02513.JPG

DSC02520.JPG

Here are some photos from Qaqortoq.  It is a larger town with better paved streets.  It is not as flat as Nanortalik and you are walking either up or down in every direction.  We walked the town and some of the surrounding streets to view the Stone and Man lithographs on the rocks.  There are many across from the dock and there are others all through the town and surrounding areas.  The fish market was a gathering area for the locals and the "catch" was very interesting.  We had lunch with the locals at "the best hot dog stand in Greenland" just across from the dock.   It was good and we enjoyed our experience.  There were lots of icebergs in the bay as we sailed out of town in both towns.

DSC02673.JPG

DSC02674.JPG

DSC02675.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02714.JPG

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02768.JPG

DSC02780.JPG

DSC02787.JPG

DSC02797.JPG