The Retreat

obro

4 hours ago, molemaui said:

Are the basic two person cabanas covered for shade? Like many, I could not find many specifics about the cabanas on the website. 

If you want to sunbathe, you can do so in the large center common space, designed without a cover and open to all those who have booked a cabana.  

We ended up reserving a Lido Cabana on Eurodam for our 11-night cruise we just finished.  Cost was $399 for the entire time, so little more than $36/day.

While the official hours were 9-5, our cabana attendant (Andrew - we had him the entire trip) told us we were welcome to come earlier and could stay later if we wished.  

Service was stellar!  Two large bottles of water on ice plus a bowl of fresh fruit every day, along with the daily copy of the US News flyer.  Andrew was by often to see if we needed drinks, ice or anything else.  He offered to get us breakfast from the Lido if we wished.  He provided the Lido lunch menu every day for us to complete, or we could order from the Dive In.  There was a brief menu for the Dive In and other snacks, but he was willing to get us whatever we wanted whether it was on the menu or not.  Every day at 3pm, chocolate covered strawberries and a glass of champagne.

There were two very comfortable chairs and dining table, a small side table and large two-person cushioned lounger.  With the roof over the Lido open there was a pleasant breeze that came through keeping us comfortable.  Loved being just steps away from the pool and restrooms.

Bottom line, we felt very pampered and enjoyed the space very much.  To us, it was well worth the price.

We loved it so much we are sure to book again on our next cruise.  

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I think the Noordam does not have a Retreat with Cabanas (covered sitting areas outside).

Are there other places that have outdoors spaces with major shaded sitting areas?

I'm thinking (hoping!?) mainly of a quiet place, for reading, etc.

GC

Noordam definitely does have a Retreat with Cabanas. Had a cabana there.

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Noordam definitely does have a Retreat with Cabanas. Had a cabana there.

Thanks!  I obviously misunderstood something somewhere!

Where on the ship is it?

And are there other comfortable/quiet *shaded* outdoor areas?  (For example, not right at the pool, etc.)

Thanks so much.

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks!  I obviously misunderstood something somewhere!

Where on the ship is it?

And are there other comfortable/quiet *shaded* outdoor areas?  (For example, not right at the pool, etc.)

Thanks so much.

GC

Noordam was the first Vista class to get cabanas. The Retreat is on the Observation Deck forward.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm partial to sitting out on the promenade, on Promenade Deck on the Noordam. There are loungers, no piped overhead music. You are shaded by the lifeboats overhead. You are close to the sea, so only hear the waves as they break against the hull. Once in a while there are some walkers who talk as they go by, but that becomes background noise. 

Another place I enjoy is sitting in comfortable chairs near the Lido pool. Sometimes the overhead music is not too loud. The general noise of the area becomes more of a din than a distraction, but that can vary depending on the nature of the cruise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 12:23 AM, msmayor said:

We ended up reserving a Lido Cabana on Eurodam for our 11-night cruise we just finished.  Cost was $399 for the entire time, so little more than $36/day.

While the official hours were 9-5, our cabana attendant (Andrew - we had him the entire trip) told us we were welcome to come earlier and could stay later if we wished.  

Service was stellar!  Two large bottles of water on ice plus a bowl of fresh fruit every day, along with the daily copy of the US News flyer.  Andrew was by often to see if we needed drinks, ice or anything else.  He offered to get us breakfast from the Lido if we wished.  He provided the Lido lunch menu every day for us to complete, or we could order from the Dive In.  There was a brief menu for the Dive In and other snacks, but he was willing to get us whatever we wanted whether it was on the menu or not.  Every day at 3pm, chocolate covered strawberries and a glass of champagne.

There were two very comfortable chairs and dining table, a small side table and large two-person cushioned lounger.  With the roof over the Lido open there was a pleasant breeze that came through keeping us comfortable.  Loved being just steps away from the pool and restrooms.

Bottom line, we felt very pampered and enjoyed the space very much.  To us, it was well worth the price.

We loved it so much we are sure to book again on our next cruise.  

Lucky you having Andrew as your steward.  We had him for our Canal transit on the Oosterdam.   He took such great care of us!  I am reading all of these comments and have decided to book one for our Zuiderdam next month.   Question - has the sofa and credenza been removed from the Zuiderdam.  I am a sunner and my SO is a shade guy.   Photo of Oosterdam cabana.

Cabana 2 3718.jpg

20 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Lucky you having Andrew as your steward.  We had him for our Canal transit on the Oosterdam.   He took such great care of us!  I am reading all of these comments and have decided to book one for our Zuiderdam next month.   Question - has the sofa and credenza been removed from the Zuiderdam.  I am a sunner and my SO is a shade guy.   Photo of Oosterdam cabana.

Cabana 2 3718.jpg

Thanks for the photo!  This is a Retreat Cabana (not a Lido Cabana), is that correct?  I reserved a Retreat Cabana on an upcoming Oosterdam cruise.  Can you tell me if the area is generally quiet?  I know there are a couple of "family cabanas" and wonder if those can be noisy.  Your impressions would be appreciated.  

We have had a Retreat several times on Eurodam and NA.  They are quiet, but sometimes it can be a little windy.  You don't have to worry about family ones, a lot of times it is just used for groups travelling together.  Kids like to be where the activities are and there is no activities going on in the Retreat area.

• Like 1

Hopefully changes have been made to the Retreat on the Zuiderdam. Last March, not only were they in terrible disrepair, but the staff, while pleasant, were not trained to provide the high level of service (and amenities) that we enjoyed on the Eurodam the year before. It was a huge disappointment to us.

5 hours ago, CabinForOne said:

Thanks for the photo!  This is a Retreat Cabana (not a Lido Cabana), is that correct?  I reserved a Retreat Cabana on an upcoming Oosterdam cruise.  Can you tell me if the area is generally quiet?  I know there are a couple of "family cabanas" and wonder if those can be noisy.  Your impressions would be appreciated.  

It is a Retreat cabana.    I understand that some of the furniture has been switched.  Sad to hear about the condition of the cabanas on the Zuiderdam.   I will ask to see if they have been updated recently when I call in on Monday. 

Does anyone know if I book prior to the cruise will I get 25% off for Three-Star Mariner or should I just wait on book when on  board?   We could go take a quick look around before deciding to book.   

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

It is a Retreat cabana.    I understand that some of the furniture has been switched.  Sad to hear about the condition of the cabanas on the Zuiderdam.   I will ask to see if they have been updated recently when I call in on Monday. 

Does anyone know if I book prior to the cruise will I get 25% off for Three-Star Mariner or should I just wait on book when on  board?   We could go take a quick look around before deciding to book.   

You don't get any discount for cabanas based on your Mariner status. We are 4 star, and never have, in 6 cabana rentals (some were when we were 3 star).