Cruising out of New York

pokerwife25

We are doing the very same thing on 2/22. Any other year, I would say yes but this year has been very mild so far. Doesn't bode well for the remainder of the winter. A couple of years back we had snow for Easter in April, could easily happen in March. Keep your fingers crossed.

Yes, there is a good chance it will be cold on the day or embarkation but as some of the other posters said it will warm up a day or so into your trip. Sailing out of NYC is a great experience as you pass famous landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty.

Keith

That's why I picked this cruise.

With all due respect to you all... did you find that there were a lot of "New Yorkers", by which I do NOT mean Good New Yorkers, on board? I waitressed for a long time on Fire Island (grew up summering there) and I dealt with some of the rudest, meanest, most unhappy, impossible to please people... people who raised their kids like wild animals as an additional way of telling the rest of the world to go to H*LL. I have this sinking feeling that there will be a large amount of pushing and shoving, demanding, loud complaining, loud arguments as though others aren't standing right there, yadda yadda yadda on this upcoming cruise.

I just cruised out of Galveston this summer, and I obviously spent the week with... Texans. They were awesome, very nice people, but the shows were heavy on the "I Love the USA" theme, and there were more than the usual amount of Bibles and religious themed novels around the pool. Cruising from Florida you are clearly going to get more senior citizens.

I don't want to offend anyone here, just wondering if the demographic was the stereotypical "New Yorker"....

I am from, you guessed it, NY. I have cruised twice out of NYC and once out of Bayonne. We thought that we had the rudest people on the Bayonne cruise. We did not experience any unusual rudeness on the trips out of NYC.

Of course, bear in mind, that we are from NY, so maybe we don't notice it as much as you would. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise.

I am a first time cruiser. I was looking at a cruise leaving NYC this march 12, and going to cape canaveral, miami and a couple other places. It is too cold to leave out of NYC in march? I just wasn't sure.

Thanks!

You will be far enough north on your second day in March that you should be able to sit by the pool. We've gone in October and December and both times the second day was mild, warmer in October but not bad in December either.

With all due respect to you all... did you find that there were a lot of "New Yorkers", by which I do NOT mean Good New Yorkers, on board? I waitressed for a long time on Fire Island (grew up summering there) and I dealt with some of the rudest, meanest, most unhappy, impossible to please people... people who raised their kids like wild animals as an additional way of telling the rest of the world to go to H*LL. I have this sinking feeling that there will be a large amount of pushing and shoving, demanding, loud complaining, loud arguments as though others aren't standing right there, yadda yadda yadda on this upcoming cruise.

I don't want to offend anyone here, just wondering if the demographic was the stereotypical "New Yorker"....

We found most people to be very pleasant. Almost everyone we encountered was very friendly. New Yorkers get a bad rap a lot of the time. No, we're not from NY. I'm sure there were some rude people on board too, we just managed to miss them all. :D

Jackie

We are from upstate NY in the finger lakes and cruised from New York the last 2 Mays.Yes you do run into some very rude New Yorkers but you also meet some really wonderful ones too.We made a lifelong friend on our first NY cruise who ended up cruising with us this past May. People are people,where ever they come from and most people just want to have fun on vacation.

Llaura

I grew up in one of the boroughs and lived in the City for 6 years, now live in CT. There are rude people everywhere. If you were in the City on 9/11 or during the Blackout, you might have a different opinion. Everyone really helped each other and banded together. If you are worried about that maybe you should sail out of Boston, Baltimore or Norfolk.

I'm from Upstate as well - the vast majority of folks on both our cruises were really nice people; every now and then you'd find someone rude, and they could hail from anywhere. The biggest difference I noticed in cruising out of NYC and NOLA was the accents. (Loved the woman on Conquest who pronounced Renoir "Ren-ore".) You do notice the difference in pace; New Yorkers (I think Northerners in general) tend to be faster-paced than others. Folks elsewhere take things much slower. There's something to be said for that, especially on a cruise!

I just cruised out of Galveston this summer, and I obviously spent the week with... Texans. They were awesome, very nice people, but the shows were heavy on the "I Love the USA" theme, and there were more than the usual amount of Bibles and religious themed novels around the pool. Cruising from Florida you are clearly going to get more senior citizens.

You've got to be kidding..... move to Texas. And yes, I am originally from NY

I am from Buffalo too...and I have good friends in NYC. You need to be thick skinned to deal with some of the NY attitude. Personally, I like how real they are, no nice-nice fake business out of a NYer....:)

I do, too. And yet... I guess it was the waitressing I did. Let's just say that I have nightmares.

You know how it is in Buffalo- people go out of their way to hold doors open, 4 way stops are agony as people wait for other people to go and everyone is frozen, waving each other on... this city is so "nice" that it's hard to believe we are in NYS. And is there a more "real" place on Earth?

But we both appreciate no-BS people and our careers are very rough around the edges to say the least. I just am hoping it isn't a boatload of the same NY'ers that jump out to grab a taxi in front of me, shove their way into a doorway, "EXCUSE ME! I WAS HERE FIRST!" in stores, etcetera.

On the flip side we love kids, have eight between us, and have no fear of kids on vacation or spring break. People always sweat that one!

Cate W- my impression of NY'ers is overwhelmingly positive overall. It really is...

I do, too. And yet... I guess it was the waitressing I did. Let's just say that I have nightmares.

You know how it is in Buffalo- people go out of their way to hold doors open, 4 way stops are agony as people wait for other people to go and everyone is frozen, waving each other on... this city is so "nice" that it's hard to believe we are in NYS. And is there a more "real" place on Earth?

But we both appreciate no-BS people and our careers are very rough around the edges to say the least. I just am hoping it isn't a boatload of the same NY'ers that jump out to grab a taxi in front of me, shove their way into a doorway, "EXCUSE ME! I WAS HERE FIRST!" in stores, etcetera.

On the flip side we love kids, have eight between us, and have no fear of kids on vacation or spring break. People always sweat that one!

Cate W- my impression of NY'ers is overwhelmingly positive overall. It really is...

We went on a RC cruise a while back and a bunch of us were sitting in one of the lounges around a piano bar. It was around midnight and there were about 4 or 5 little ones between 3 and 5 years old running wild and screaming while their parents sat across the room ignoring them. The pianist was really ticked off since they were doing this while he was playing and singing, but the parents never corrected the kids. Let's face it, the kids were not to blame here, they were just having fun, but I don't want to deal with them when they are allowed to act this way, especially at that time of night.

Jackie

I think my love of children on cruises has to do with the fact that I have never seen that kind of thing (knock on wood). I did see two girls running through the dining room last summer, but after night two I followed them to the Ladies Room and gave them a heads up. They were great from then on. I had a walkie talkie in my face once and I said something to the kid and it stopped. I cruised alone with four of my kids last summer- I think I was so concerned about how much they would bother others that when I saw a kid acting up I just thought "thank god that isn't my child."

One thing that drives me nuts is when kids are allowed to go wild because the parents are working out some kind of power play themselves. I saw it all the time on Fire Island- older parents with one highly indulged child, allowing the kid or even encouraging the kid to act horribly. YUCK!

My Galveston cruise last summer had many southerners on it (duh) and the parents ran a pretty tight ship (groan). There were also a lot of minorities on that cruise, and those kids were EXTREMELY well behaved.

I think my love of children on cruises has to do with the fact that I have never seen that kind of thing (knock on wood). I did see two girls running through the dining room last summer, but after night two I followed them to the Ladies Room and gave them a heads up. They were great from then on. I had a walkie talkie in my face once and I said something to the kid and it stopped. I cruised alone with four of my kids last summer- I think I was so concerned about how much they would bother others that when I saw a kid acting up I just thought "thank god that isn't my child."

One thing that drives me nuts is when kids are allowed to go wild because the parents are working out some kind of power play themselves. I saw it all the time on Fire Island- older parents with one highly indulged child, allowing the kid or even encouraging the kid to act horribly. YUCK!

My Galveston cruise last summer had many southerners on it (duh) and the parents ran a pretty tight ship (groan). There were also a lot of minorities on that cruise, and those kids were EXTREMELY well behaved.

DH lived in TX for 14 years and I loved it there. The people seem to be so friendly and welcoming. Just a different pace from here. I guess the heat slows everything down.

I also waited tables and had more problems with people not watching their kids than adult rudeness. I guess they don't realize that their kids can get hurt when you're very busy with all of the waitstaff rushing around. When we were kids, we never moved from our seats when we were taken to a restaurant. If kids are taught to behave, they do. (at least most of the time)

We've never really encountered any major problems other than that time with kids on a cruise, but it sure did stand out.

On our last Dawn cruise, we ran into some kids (around 12 or 13 yo) that were goofing off. One of them bumped into me and turned and said, 'Oh, I'm really sorry'.... Nice, and I sure don't mind kids like that.

Jackie :cool:

Archived