Australia cruise tour

Babr

How would I find some reviews of the land portion of the Australia cruise tours?

I have used the search function here using several combinations of search terms, but there are way too many unrelated results.  I tried a Google search using Princess Ultimate Australia and found one thread here on Cruise Critic from 2017. There are bound to be more. I just can’t seem to find them.

I’d appreciate any help or some first-hand experience from anyone who has done the cruise tour.

Thanks.

It has been a number of years since we did this cruisetour, but it remains one of our best tour experiences. There were 39 of us in the tour group. We did it pre-cruise. A guide remained with us throughout the tour. We stayed in high end hotels. There were some meals included. The locations are really nice, Uluru, Darwin, Cairns and Sydney. The tour started with a full day tour of Sydney. The next day we continued the tour of Sydney and then flew to Ayers Rock, Uluru, in the outback. Uluru is a spectacular site. Believe they still visit at sunset with those great colors. We also visited the nearby Olgas. Something similar to Uluru. We stayed at Sails in the Desert, a really nice hotel. It was then on to Darwin. From Darwin we had a side trip to a river boat where we had sightings of those big crocs, and other natural wildlife.  Onto Cairns. From the airport we first took the cable car to Kuranda Village in the rain forest. Then to Port Douglas where we stayed in the Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort Hotel. Port Douglas is a nice town with some nice restaurants and shops. We were able to walk there, but there was also a shuttle. The next day it was a boat trip to the Barrier Reef. The boat ride is a few hours long at high speed. Once at the pontoon there is snorkeling to see the fish. You must where a full body neoprene suit over your bathing suit which leaves no exposed skin to protect you from the jellyfish. These were available at the pontoon for a small price. The barrier reef is a nice experience. After a few nights at the hotel we then flew back to Sydney to board the ship. Overall I rate this trip as a "A" experience, but warn that it can get you tired. A note regarding the flights. Flights from Sydney to Ayers Rock, Darwin to Cairns and Cairns to Sydney are long 4+ hours each. The flight from Ayres Rock to Darwin is a little shorter, but had a stop over in Alice Springs.

The Princess web site does not have great detail, but believe further detail is available from Princess or your T.A. 

Thanks for your response. We have booked the cruise/tour for this coming  January and as the OP said there aren't any reviews of the land portion, or we don't know where to look!.  Anyone else have something to add?

Thanks, skynight.

Did the tour of Sydney include an interior look at the Opera House or just a drive-by?

Were you bothered by insects during your outdoor activities?

What about the people who choose not to snorkel at the Reef?

Just now, Babr said:

Thanks, skynight.

Did the tour of Sydney include an interior look at the Opera House or just a drive-by?

Were you bothered by insects during your outdoor activities?

What about the people who choose not to snorkel at the Reef?

No Opera House indoor tour. The Opera house is fully visible from anywhere on the harbour and you pass right by it during sail away. We actually flew to Australia from L.A. on a flight that first went to Melbourne, then a plane change to Sydney. The airline ticket allowed us to stop over in Melbourne. So we spent 2 nights there, made the quick flight over to Sydney and spent 2 more nights before joining the organized tour. We visited the interior of the opera house on our own. If you have the time I highly recommend an early arrival with a stop over. You not only get to see extra stuff, but the jet lag is really difficult to adjust to without the extra time. It's something like 14 to 15 hours in the air from L.A. plus extra time, if any, from your home airport and you arrive two days after you depart.

Insects. On our visit to The Olgas it was fly season. We had to wear head nets which we purchased at a shop at the hotel. Now thinking about it I guess we visited The Olgas on the 2nd day at Ayres Rock. We did not have any issues with insects in other locations.

At the barrier reef the pontoon had an under sea glass walkway where you could get a decent look at the reef fish. They also served some lunch which was included.

By the way, the beaches in Darwin and Port Douglas are spectacular to look at, but you can not go into the water, even ankle deep. A sting from a box jelly fish is deadly. Also there are crocs along the shores moving from inlet to inlet. Swimming is down in Sydney.

We did it as a pre-cruise in January 2015, minus the Darwin section.  I would highly recommend it.  Everything was first rate and we were well taken care of the whole time.  A great way to see everything with all the planning done for you.  Sure you pay a little more than doing it on your own, but there's something to be said for just saying "here I am - take me everywhere."  Worth the money for me.  Some will disagree, that's fine.  

Tour of Sydney did not include going inside the Opera House.  They take you to a scenic viewpoint to get the iconic picture of the Opera House and the bridge.  The insects at Uluru were brutal - not sure if it was the time of year (late January) or always.  When they recommend a net over your hat and head, do it.  You can't even talk without getting bugs in your mouth.  No problem with flies anywhere else.  You don't have to snorkel at the Reef.  You can stay on the pontoon, just swim, or go in their glass bottom boat.  There aren't any sunbathing facilities so don't plan to get on a sun chair and just chill.  Also, bring some anti-nausea meds.  The trip out was quite rough the day we went and there were some people majorly sea sick.  Try to get a window seat when you fly from Cairns to Sydney - the view of the reef is quite spectacular from the air.  

I too was surprised by how long the flights were - it's a bigger country than you think.  Also, keep in mind that the Australian airlines weigh your carry-on as well as your checked bag.  Carry-on cannot exceed a certain weight.  I saw people stuffing their pockets while waiting in line to check-in.  They also sometimes re-weigh the carry-on's at the gate before you board.  

Hi there!  As others have said Australia is deceptively big, particularly if you're flying every second or third day. January is smack in the middle of our summer with Darwin in particular very steamy and stormy as it is their wet season.  Usual temps there would be around 90F with humidity in the 70-80% range.  Most places you visit will be air conditioned, but just something to be aware of.   Also, as at the end of October this year, tourists are no longer allowed to climb Uluru (Ayers Rock) so as to respect the Traditional Owners cultural laws.  Hoping you enjoy your visit to our amazing country!  

aus-europe.jpg

I like the comparison of US and Australia.

Land Mass

US = ~ 9,833,517 sq km

Australia = ~7,741,220 sq km

Population

US = ~327 million

Australia = ~25 million

RESULT

Australia wins by a landslide!

(I also boggle that California has more people than all of Canada. Canada definitely wins.)

We did this trip in March of 2016. I second what others said above so won’t repeat it.  Great Barrier Reef and Uluru were both bucket list items and highlights for us.  We had bug nets from a prior trip; very glad we brought them along. Did the added dinner in the outback (under the stars, sunset cocktails with Uluru view, no bugs) in addition to the included sunrise and sunset viewings.  Thought the trip was well worth it, they schedule a lot more into the daily activities than we could/would have doing it on our own.  Yes, it’s a tiring trip. But satisfyingly so.  Our tour did not include Darwin, we did it post cruise, ended in Sydney where we added two more days on our own before returning home.