Cloud Ft Lauderdale to Lima 11/10-30/10

Silver Spectre

Thanks Silver, I’ve really enjoyed your posts.

We are just back from an expedition cruise on Coral Discoverer ( 70 passengers) Broome to Cairns and although we enjoyed it and would love to do some of their other itineraries, we found it very tiring. Probably won’t try another one.  Classic cruising suits us better. 

• Like 1

Sorry, Pashmina and Jilly. We have (so far, after just one try) found the Cloud expedition experience to be a little softer than we prefer. We still had a great time, don't get me wrong. The Cloud is a luxurious expedition ship. But we wished for a bit more adventure.

We shall see how our upcoming January voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica compares to our prior trips on Explorer. Expedition cruises are our favorites. But that's how we travel now. Probably in 20 years we won't have the energy to keep doing it that way,  and we will come back to the classic itineraries. So glad that both are available! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Sorry, Pashmina and Jilly. We have (so far, after just one try) found the Cloud expedition experience to be a little softer than we prefer. We still had a great time, don't get me wrong. The Cloud is a luxurious expedition ship. But we wished for a bit more adventure.

We shall see how our upcoming January voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica compares to our prior trips on Explorer. Expedition cruises are our favorites. But that's how we travel now. Probably in 20 years we won't have the energy to keep doing it that way,  and we will come back to the classic itineraries. So glad that both are available! 

Hi JP, considering the part of the world we were in, what would constitute more adventure?

Silver, our one Cloud trip was in Iceland. It was lots of fun, but there are definitely more adventurous excursions which could have been organised there. Just offering a different perspective. It seemed less "rough" than our expeditions aboard Explorer. Still very excited to be back on Silver Cloud in January.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Silver, our one Cloud trip was in Iceland. It was lots of fun, but there are definitely more adventurous excursions which could have been organised there. Just offering a different perspective. It seemed less "rough" than our expeditions aboard Explorer. Still very excited to be back on Silver Cloud in January.

Thanks JP, I was just looking for a different perspective. One of the differences between the Explorer and the Cloud is its ability to get close enough to certain areas for the Zodiacs to operate effectively. The deeper draught of the Cloud means it has to anchor further out in some places. This contributed to the very long Zodiac run in San Andres and the subsequent squall problems. 

I also suspect that that there is some tailoring of excursions based on the likely demographic.

Edited by Silver Spectre

+4

The guy on the right is the director of the archeological site, also a professor at the local University. His English was perfect, having spent 3 years doing research at UEA in Norwich. I believe he came and spoke to all 3 tour groups and he was very informative.

This was the one and only time that I used a 'QUITEVOX', which worked well, provided we stayed relatively close to the guide.

IMAG0908.jpg

Edited by Silver Spectre