So nervous to try NCL we love Royal caribbean differences please

lolo26

Well first of all and I will not be the only one to comment here: why are you  booking the cruse if you already think you will be disappointed and what makes you think you will. Most mass marketed lines are very similar, but each with its own personality. What ship are you cruising on? 

For us and this is just personal: we favor NCL but partly because we are Plat Plus and get our little perks. We also have found service a little better on NCL but not a huge difference. The dining choices is a winner for us as well, but if food is not an issue the food and I am talking specialty not MDR offers a lot more choices then RCI> The beauty of the  ships and activities may be a little better on RCI. All in all you will only be disappointed if you look for the negatives or something drastic goes wrong. That is pretty unlikely. You will find the passenger types pretty similar. 

• Like 9

To add to Nita's post above, expectations/results are also dependent on direct comparison.  If you normally cruise in a suite on RCL (i.e., Star, Sky, Sea class), but you are going to be in an OV or Balcony on NCL, that is not a fair comparison.  Just as it would not be fair for me to compare my NCL Haven experience to a OV or balcony on RCL.  Also, if you are really into the mega-ships on RCL, do not book a gem or dawn class (or lower) on NCL.  Compare MDR's to MDR's, specialties to specialties, etc.

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lolo26 said:

Hello please give us the differences- will we be disappointed

What is your loyalty status on Royal?  Why are you looking at NCL?  Itinerary? Price? Entertainment?  I am plat plus on NCL and will be Diamond on RCCL next May, would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other in any area, it varies ship to ship.  We like Voyager class on RCCL and Jewel class best on NCL.  We liked the Anthem more than Breakaway, but the difference was not that large that we would reject a good price and itinerary on any such ships.

• Like 2

Rooms are similar.  Entertainment is similar.  Pool deck activities are similar.  I like RCL's food a little better but NCL is fine.  NCL sells more booze packages.

Different bells and whistles on the ships.  RCL bigger ships have things like flowrider, NCL has ropes course.  Just different.

I like both and find better deals on NCL more often.  Both will try to sell you "stuff" day and night.  

• Like 1

I like NCL and preferred it over my cruise on RCI's Allure.  However, I'm a soda drinker, and I do prefer the Allure's "Freestyle" self-service machines to NCL's "ask a bartender" practice.  

Edited by FLAHAM
  • Like 1

I am Diamond on RCL and have cruised mainly with them and Celebrity but also tried others.

my first cruise with NCL was in June this year on the Breakaway, as I had no choice with the dates I had to cruise.
Like you I had some concerns but overall I had a great cruise and am off on the Getaway in December!

Positives - lots of great dining options, plenty of good bars and entertainment. The waterfront, such a great idea, have a drink or eat and watch the sea from outdoors. More adult feeling overall.

Negatives - tiny, tiny pool. Very, very casual dress (to the point of scruffiness sometimes ) but I am a Brit! 😂

I don’t see much to dislike - give it a go!

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I like NCL and preferred it over my cruise on RCI's Allure.  However, I'm a soda drinker, and I do prefer the Allure's "Freestyle" self-service machine's to NCL's "ask a bartender" practice.  

Which ncl trip did you do and can you explain more about the comparisons ncl vs royal

2 minutes ago, lolo26 said:

Which ncl trip did you do and can you explain more about the comparisons ncl vs royal

I have done nine varied cruises on NCL ships and only one, a 7-day caribbean cruise, on the Allure of the seas.  I liked the variety of specialty restaurants on NCL.  I thought the Allure's restaurants were very good, but fewer and more expensive.  The Allure's interior is more spacious and generally more attractive than NCL.  Buffets about the same.  I think NCL offered more day-to-day buffet variety.  Prefer NCL casualness and ease of varying time and location in the MDRs.  Both lines offered fine, enjoyable cruises.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

I am Diamond on RCL and have cruised mainly with them and Celebrity but also tried others.

my first cruise with NCL was in June this year on the Breakaway, as I had no choice with the dates I had to cruise.
Like you I had some concerns but overall I had a great cruise and am off on the Getaway in December!

Positives - lots of great dining options, plenty of good bars and entertainment. The waterfront, such a great idea, have a drink or eat and watch the sea from outdoors. More adult feeling overall.

Negatives - tiny, tiny pool. Very, very casual dress (to the point of scruffiness sometimes ) but I am a Brit! 😂

THANKS SO MUCH WONDERFUL REVEIW 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I like NCL and preferred it over my cruise on RCI's Allure.  However, I'm a soda drinker, and I do prefer the Allure's "Freestyle" self-service machine's to NCL's "ask a bartender" practice.  

HELLO THANKS HOW DID YOU PREFER NCL AND WHICH SHIP OVER ALLURE ? OMG LOVED LOVED THE ALLURE STILL RAVE ABOUT HER

We are platinum with ncl.  We usually sail smaller ships, inside rooms.  Just tried RCCL, majesty for a 5 day.  For me the glaring difference was that we were assigned dinning at a table with 4 other couples for a specific time.  Otherwise, very similar.  I will say, that was the smallest cabin We have ever had on any ship.  TINY and noisy.  Never had such noise in our cabin before.  Oh well, seas were calm, food was good, enjoyed the cruise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Well first of all and I will not be the only one to comment here: why are you  booking the cruse if you already think you will be disappointed and what makes you think you will. Most mass marketed lines are very similar, but each with its own personality. What ship are you cruising on? 

For us and this is just personal: we favor NCL but partly because we are Plat Plus and get our little perks. We also have found service a little better on NCL but not a huge difference. The dining choices is a winner for us as well, but if food is not an issue the food and I am talking specialty not MDR offers a lot more choices then RCI> The beauty of the  ships and activities may be a little better on RCI. All in all you will only be disappointed if you look for the negatives or something drastic goes wrong. That is pretty unlikely. You will find the passenger types pretty similar. 

the tours and ports for europe are looking the best on ncl this is why

1 hour ago, Deeliteful said:

Brit or American, I totally agree about the dress. No real dress code has taken the sense out of some people. 

2bccruisers: I absolutely hated the Majesty but it has been years ago. Yes, tiny cabins, did not care for the buffet and a few other things. I would never want to think the Majesty represents RCI at it's best or close to best. I am amazed they have not retired her. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Brit or American, I totally agree about the dress. No real dress code has taken the sense out of some people. 

It was a little tongue in cheek, may be more to do with age than nationality! 
Certainly I would not walk my dog in some of the outfits I saw 😱
However it was a Caribbean cruise so don’t think a cruise in Europe would be so bad sartorially!

Edited by Deeliteful
  • Like 1