Opal Card - a Tad Confusing

A new Seniors Travel Card was launched this week for New South Wales seniors living outside of Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong, i.e. Regional areas.   Apparently loaded with $250 worth of travel annually on buses, trains and ferries.

We don't have the pensioner concession card as we are 'self funded dinosaurs, sorry retirees, but have Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, so have to see if we qualify for the travelcard.  Apparently one has to apply at the State Govt Service Centres (old RTA branches.)

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

A new Seniors Travel Card was launched this week for New South Wales seniors living outside of Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong, i.e. Regional areas.   Apparently loaded with $250 worth of travel annually on buses, trains and ferries.

We don't have the pensioner concession card as we are 'self funded dinosaurs, sorry retirees, but have Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, so have to see if we qualify for the travelcard.  Apparently one has to apply at the State Govt Service Centres (old RTA branches.)

Sounds a good deal for NSW regional seniors. I’ll have to tell my brother in law and his wife who live in Lavington. 

I googled it and it seems you can apply online. 

Hope you are both eligible Les. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sounds a good deal for NSW regional seniors. I’ll have to tell my brother in law and his wife who live in Lavington. 

I googled it and it seems you can apply online. 

Hope you are both eligible Les. 

Leigh

We are eligible and approved on line today via Service NSW site, Commonwealth Seniors Health Card was sufficient.  Card is a Westpac Debit card for $250 and can be used for fuel purchase, vehicle repairs, tyres, paying Opal Card bills, Regional trains etc.  The rollout is happening in Feb, card expires in 14 months, no refunds, just like obc on a cruise ship !!

I wonder if other States will do it, now NSW - The Premier State, lol, has done it? 

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We are eligible and approved on line today via Service NSW site, Commonwealth Seniors Health Card was sufficient.  Card is a Westpac Debit card for $250 and can be used for fuel purchase, vehicle repairs, tyres, paying Opal Card bills, Regional trains etc.  The rollout is happening in Feb, card expires in 14 months, no refunds, just like obc on a cruise ship !!

I wonder if other States will do it, now NSW - The Premier State, lol, has done it? 

That's great. Was it easy to do the application online? I wondered the same thing Les, if the other states will do the same. I also thought perhaps it may be extended to all seniors? We travel to visit my parents in regional Victoria every couple of months as probably many people do to visit family. I sometimes go by myself and then will travel by train. A card like that would be fantastic to help with expences.

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

That's great. Was it easy to do the application online? I wondered the same thing Les, if the other states will do the same. I also thought perhaps it may be extended to all seniors? We travel to visit my parents in regional Victoria every couple of months as probably many people do to visit family. I sometimes go by myself and then will travel by train. A card like that would be fantastic to help with expences.

Leigh

Real easy Leigh,  you put the health card numbers or your Concession card numbers and your personal details and it is all linked up. You have to create an a/c with Service NSW to do it on line.  Best part is both my wife and will get a card each, the fuel will be handy.  Public transport down here is almost nil, just a local bus service.

No doubt the merchants around NSW, servos, coach companies, car repair/tyre places etc will soon be authorised merchants for the scheme, they will pick up a bit of business from us dinosaurs.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1