Carnival and Mobile enter 3 year contract

Dixe Lee

Mobile and Carnival Cruise Lines will celebrate a three-year extension of its partnership on Monday, one day before the 15-year anniversary of the grand opening for Alabama’s only cruise terminal.

The celebration is set begin around noon aboard the 2,056-passenger Carnival Fantasy, which was lured into Mobile in 2016 following the city’s five-year hiatus from cruising at the Mobile, Alabama Cruise Terminal.

Glad to see this. Mobile is our closest port of embarkation, and sailing from there is such a breeze. Love to support the “local” product.

My one hope is that Fantasy is replaced with another ship. We had a fun time on our last cruise on her (February) but the ship looked so tired and neglected, it made me sad. Many maintenance issues. My wife and I commented as we drove away upon our return that we won’t be sailing from Mobile until Carnival brings a different ship, or until a different cruise line sails from there. 

In all fairness, she still packs a lot fun, and she’s a great option for first time cruisers, for cruisers looking for a convenient and affordable option, and for cruisers who aren’t too bothered by the ship’s overall condition. 

We enjoy sailing from Mobile but would enjoy another ship but it appears the port cannot manage a ship larger than the Fantasy class.  I suspect that the Fantasy will be retired when some of the new Carnival ships set sail so another Fantasy class ship will be assigned to Mobile to fulfill this contract. After the three years the Fantasy class ships maybe ready for retirement leaving Mobile without a ship. 

3 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

We enjoy sailing from Mobile but would enjoy another ship but it appears the port cannot manage a ship larger than the Fantasy class.

The ole Carnival Triumph which is a similar Conquest ship docked at mobile a long long time ago

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

The ole Carnival Triumph which is a similar Conquest ship docked at mobile a long long time ago

So maybe Sunrise/Sunshine/Radiance for Mobile when the new ships roll out. That will be an upgrade. I remember going from Elation to Triumph in New Orleans and feeling like it was an upgrade.

Edited by Saint Greg

8 hours ago, shof515 said:

I know larger ship can dock but one of the officers on my last Fantasy cruise told me the channel does not have a enough maneuver room for a larger ship to come and go without tugs.  I hope this is wrong since I would enjoy a bigger ship. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

21 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I know larger ship can dock but one of the officers on my last Fantasy cruise told me the channel does not have a enough maneuver room for a larger ship to come and go without tugs.  I hope this is wrong since I would enjoy a bigger ship. 

Looks like improvements to the channel and turning basin are on the way.

https://businessalabama.com/port-improvements-approved/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

depending on the port, TUGS might be required to be on stand by and used IF needed. This is what i noticed for the NYC port.